Saturday, August 23, 2008

True Facts-Internet Style

Link of the Day
Loose Ends


Saying for the Day:
If an article is attractive, or useful, or inexpensive, they'll stop making it tomorrow; if it's all three, they stopped making it yesterday. ~Mignon McLaughlin, The Neurotic's Notebook, 1960

Picture of the Day:



  • Quilly's Just Reflecting

    The Days Wrap UP
    I started the day after blogging by cleaning the study. I didn't want to clean the study but I couldn't find a disk i really needed. In the process I found ten 3 1/2 inch program disks. Neither Betty's computer or mine can take a 3 1/2 disk besides the programs were for for Dos. So I dumped them all. By the time I finished I had a full wastebasket and it was time for lunch. Betty , Pennie, and I went to I-Hop for lunch. Then we went to Hobby Lobby to get some more plaster cloth. From there to Menards to pick up two 2X4's for bracing. Then we came home. I got to ride my scooter. Once home I visited all my links. now I need a breathing treatment.
    GBYA
    ***********************************************
    True Facts -Internet Style
    It is time to make it possible to win another of my priceless prizes. The prizes that must be great because nobody that has received them has complained.( I’m assuming the prizes got to them). These are the prizes that give new meaning to the word priceless.
    Here are fifteen internet “ facts”. One is verifiable. The other fourteen I made up this morning. They might be true because I make up good stuff. Leave your guess in the comments. First one with the right answer wins.

    1. The shortest war in history was between France and England in 1896. France surrendered after 38 minutes.

    2. The strangest reason for going to war was between two tribes each claiming to grow a bigger pineapple than the other. Causing the Great Pineapple War of 1752.

    3. A snail never sleeps for more than three hours.

    4. Donald Duck comics were banned in Finland because he doesn't wear pants.

    5. Mickey Mouse and all animal comics were once banned in India for religious reasons.

    6. The scissors was invented by an ordinary housewife who tired of cutting cloth with a knife got her husband to put two knives together making a scissors.

    7. The strongest muscle in the body controls your little finger.

    8. Two-thirds of the world's eggplant is grown in California.

    9. In England the Speaker of the House gets the most speaking time.

    10. In a warm climate a dragonfly has a life span of three years.

    11. The Tiger has more taste buds than any other animal.( 27,000)

    12. Slugs have no nose.

    13. Bubble gum was invented by Hershey who sold the rights to another company thinking it would never catch on.

    14. Dogs can make more vocal sounds than cats.( about ninety more)

    15. The animal that can last longest without water is a camel.

    News from Pigeon Falls
    -The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal. Today is the day of the big Pigeon Falls Parade. As you know by now this year’s movie star canceled out at the last minute so Mrs. Trumble will ride in her place in the lead car . Of course, it really isn’t a car it’s a truck all decorated up with a fancy chair in back..
    Yesterday the first Liar’s Club story of the final six was given. Bob Alder ‘s named was drawn and he got to go first . Here is his story:
    Before I start I have to tell you two important things. First of all listen carefully because I will never tell this story again and I will deny I told it now. Second ignore the man with the shotgun over by the sauna that’s my cousin Edgar and he is there to protect me.
    Now then, let me begin. I know who the man in black is. Well to be more exact I know what he is. You see I met him out at my –place on day this summer. I was sitting on the back porch enjoying the sunset when this three headed thing showed up eating my cow. Immediately I tried to remember where I put my shotgun after the last hunting season. I think it was in the cabinet in the basement but it might have been in the closet upstairs. In any case I knew it wouldn’t save me.
    That’s when the man in black showed up. He called the creature by name and it lunged at him. He had a strange weapon he fired at it and poof it was gone. Just like that , poof it was gone.
    I said to the guy “You wouldn’t happen to have an extra one of those would you?” He laughed and said they wouldn’t do me any good. It didn’t hurt the creature it just pushed him back into his own dimension where he belonged. You shoot anything else with it it won’t have any effect.
    You see our world shares almost the same space with other worlds that exist in other dimensions.
    He went on to tell me he was part of a top secret government agency that polices the barrier between dimensions. It is his job to keep the dimensions secret while protecting people when the barriers break down.
    Further it seems that Pigeon Falls is on what amounts to a barrier fault. That‘s why we have the whale and the dragons neither of which is from this dimension. At this point neither is a threat to us so they are bring ignored. But the barrier is constantly monitored and when a break occurs he follows up.
    Then he told me he was going to have to wipe any memory I have of the event out of my memory. He aimed a funny looking device at me and pushed two buttons. My head began to get warm and then I passed out. But when I woke up he was gone but I still remembered almost everything. O! I forgot the name of the man and the three headed beast and where the headquarters were but everything else I remembered.
    Why wasn’t my memory wiped? I think it was because I was wearing the hat I got from Crazy Charlie . It was lined with aluminum foil to protect me from evil rays he says but it was also the coolest hat I had. I think the foil absorbed the rays from the device and most didn’t get through. That’s why my head felt warm.
    When I examined the hat I found some discoloration in the foil like it had been used for cooking
    Now if you don‘t believe this story. Here is the hart you can look at it for yourself.
    One other thing, you can tell people about this because they need to know but don’t tell them I told you.
    Bob got four tens, two nines and a six. Throwing out the high and low he ended up with a 9.6 which will be a hard score to beat.
    .

    14 Comments:

    Blogger Dragonstar said...

    This time I'm going with fact 6, although as usual they all seem perfectly feasible.

    That's an excellent story!

    3:55 AM  
    Blogger Janets Planet said...

    I think I would have believed Bob Adler if he had brought a T-bone steak along as proof.

    5:09 AM  
    Blogger Melli said...

    Animation Photo's now! WOW!

    The dragon in today's reflection appears to be doing his puffing exercises! I would be very careful about allowing puffing exercises INSIDE the house! You might end up with toasted shower curtain or something....

    I'm choosing fact #3! I don't think creatures that move that slowly really require MUCH sleep... I could be wrong... but it allows the most wiggle room!

    WOW! What a story that was! I was looking at that hat! It could have happened the way he said ... or he might have put it in the MICROWAVE! Really hard to tell...

    6:43 AM  
    Blogger Lanny said...

    Ummm let me think 38 minutes - that would be akin to one one-hundreth of a second back in the day. So I'll pass on that. Pineapple or Pig which is weirder? So I'll pass on that. Sometime I wish winter only lasted 3 hours. Donald being evicted for no pants - people in those Scandinavian countries run half naked - according to Dirt. I might believe 5 though. MMMM I think scissors were invented before ordinary housesives were. I thought the strngest muscle was the tongue, sure gets us into more trouble than the little finger. What about Italy, so two thirds seems like too much. Wouldn't the point of being speaker to speak but that's probably not it. I have no idea what goes on in wam climates I don't even know if they have dragonflies I never hear about them being there. Seems like a low number for taste buds, what is a nose really, slugs certainly have smelling ability in there little wiggly things, 13 Nah bg doesn't have enough to do with chocolate, the dog thing I would not have believed 'casue of our momma cats but Janie is in heat and you should have heard Martin sing! so that is my choice cause everyone knows anything they say about a camel is a myth.

    8:32 AM  
    Blogger Lanny said...

    Is Bob Alder originally from Yelm Washington?

    8:35 AM  
    Blogger Margaret said...

    I'm going to go for #5 - Mickey mouse and other characters banned in India.

    I don't believe the authorities in Finland payed any never mind to Donald Ducks lack of trousers.

    8:43 AM  
    Blogger Carver said...

    The first reflection almost looks like a prism. I liked the way it kept adding reflections.

    1:01 PM  
    Blogger juliana said...

    love the reflected dragon and bob's story is a cracking one...
    about the facts... i know there was a rumour about donald duck being banned in finland but it's not true...
    nah, no idea...

    1:31 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    By Bob! I think he's got it!

    Shhhh ... I won't tell anybody.

    Much.

    3:10 PM  
    Blogger Melli said...

    You know, Dr. J... LESS time to blog just means MORE time to collect blog fodder! You'll come back with all KINDS of good stories!

    4:14 PM  
    Blogger B.R.L said...

    GO TO MY BLOGGY!

    TCOB...B....B

    4:27 PM  
    Blogger Lori's Minute said...

    number 12???? Like the dragon picture...wonder what he is thinking?

    5:06 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    This is FABULOUS! Not only Quilly's reflection, but Melli's dragon too. Gotta love that!!!

    I'm hosting a new Photo Challenge on my blog. Sunday to Saturday, as the last two were. Come on over and check it out!

    12:41 AM  
    Blogger Voegtli said...

    having been around camels for many years, i would agree with number 15, though I am not sure.

    Number 1 could be true too.

    1:25 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home