Friday, September 05, 2008

The Collection

Saying for the Day:
Any society that needs disclaimers has too many lawyers. ~Erik Pepke
Picture of the Day:
Doors a Meme by Jientje

My front door














Door to basement
and my ride a chair.








Door to my garage




Lots of doors in my house








  • The Days Wrap UP
    You will find that I used the fifteen words from Raven's blog today.I guess I should have waited until tomorrow to use the fifteen words. I started the day six points down that again kept me and the oxygen tank together for the day. After blogging I visited somme of the blogs withj door pictures. Went on the web and looked for a couple of songs. In the afternoon it was back to the basement. We put the platforms in and did the first of the wiring. Then we started laying out the houses that will go in this section. O! We also ran the train a few times. That felt so good. My sister called and we ended up talking politics. She was not happy when she hung up.Now I need a breathing treatment.
    GBYA
    ******************************************
    There are two things I like about my friend Kyösti Karvonen. He is rich and he is Finnish. I met him in WalMart , which is not where you expect to meet a rich man or a real Finn for that matter. I was waiting for Betty who was shopping for one item and he was waiting for his wife who was buying out the store. WE got to talking about Finland and by the time the ladies were ready he had invited us to coffee at his place. He wanted to show me his collection of which he was very proud.
    Arriving at his place, a genuine mansion, we found the front door open . This disturbed Kyosti as he had locked it himself when they left. He rushed in and we followed straight to the display room. What a sight. There was shelf after shelf after shelf with nothing on them. He sat down and cried.
    His great popsicle stick collection was gone. Those shelves had held so many popsicle sticks that he had to have the Fusion Software Company make him a special laptop computer program to inventory them. Gone was the popsicle stick from Jamaica and the one chewed by the grizzly bear. Gone was the one used by the Queen of Siam to serve caviar on the twentieth anniversary of her coronation. Gone was the very first popsicle stick ever made. His invincible alarm had failed.The only thing on the shelf now was a note . It was marked “ Special Delivery” . Inside was a demand for a million dollars or the popsicle sticks would return as ashes . It was signed “The two-year-old. “ Poor Kyösti stood there in the falling leaves coming from the open skylight and continued crying.
    But I called 911 and then looked for clues. There was a toad stool on the floor near the door which seemed totally out of place. On the table was a can of Stouffer’s Liquid Lunch, not something I would see Kyösti using. On the floor was a posicle stick which Kyösti identified as the one used in the movie Jurassic Park. It might have a fingerprint on it. Kyösti swore he would not rest until this thief was in manacles. I knew it would take a lot of counting sheep to get some sleep that night.
    I haven‘t heard from Kyösti. All week so I don’t know how close he is to getting back his collection. But I will keep you informed.

    News from Pigeon Falls
    The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal. What this Mrs. Trumble thing has done is to open a small town Pandora’s box. In a small UP town you don’t really belong until you have been there a long time. So people are now wondering and asking questions about anybody that moved to Pigeon Falls in the last twenty years. Why did they come.
    Petrovich is, of course, one of the targets. Why did a man with all his degrees and all his government clearance move to Pigeon Falls?. What is he hiding? Shouldn’t he be somewhere near a university? He even has to go to Green Bay to find his Church. What is he doing in Pigeon Falls.
    Then there is Neil Jacobson. He bought the old Bolsom farm and is raising, of all things, grapes. Nobody grows grapes in the UP. That’s insane. So either Neil is insane or the farm is a cover for something else. At least that’s what some people are saying.
    Only the professional people are escaping scrutiny. People assume they came because of their profession. But then they are newcomers.
    Meanwhile Nancy is trying to undo some of the problems she has caused. She is now reminding people of all that Mrs. Trumble has done for the town. It does seem to have cut down on the gossip.
    What will we discover about Petrovich? Is Neil really a secret agent of some kind? Does the man in black live among them? Could a professional person have something to hide? And of course is Tommy UK really the undertaker’s kid? Tomorrow’s New From Pigeon Falls isn’t likely to have the answers but it could.

    26 Comments:

    Blogger Dragonstar said...

    So many doors! The 'welcome' sign on your front door is lovely.

    3:56 AM  
    Blogger Janets Planet said...

    Tommy UK needs to get on Petrovich's trail when he says he is "going to church in Green Bay" to see where he really goes.

    With all these rumors flying around, surely Mrs. Trumble has gotten wind. Time for Tommy UK to confront her.

    4:58 AM  
    Blogger Melli said...

    WHERE's the dragon today! He wasn't even hiding on your ride a chair? (Is a ride a chair different than a scooter?)

    WHY didn't you save that story for Wordzzle tomorrow and actually PLAY the game? I dO hope your Finn gets his sticks back!

    How long to you have to be a person before you're considered a pro? I've been doing it for 51 years now and I'm just wondering if I'm a professional yet? Sometimes I think so... but other times I'm not so sure!

    6:44 AM  
    Blogger Gattina said...

    Just like in our house, lots of doors and I wonder why because they are ALL always open otherwise the cats get angry !

    6:46 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Love the sun shining through your front door! Have a great weekend Dr. John...

    6:50 AM  
    Blogger Lori's Minute said...

    Uh oh....I just bought a million popsicle sticks on e-bay for 50 cents to make a pirate ship in my backyard...one was definetly chewed by a grizzly...I can tell because instead of saying "Made is China" on it is says "Chewed by Grizzly" on it.

    8:14 AM  
    Blogger Carletta said...

    I'm with Ellen B- I love how you caught the sun shining through the front door.
    More than that I love your story with Raven's words and you should have saved it and joined that meme - creative use of the words!!

    8:14 AM  
    Blogger Carver said...

    It's been fun seeing all the doors in your house.

    8:18 AM  
    Blogger juliana said...

    cool doors!
    from what i can gather, your finnish friend might be in big trouble ;)

    10:06 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Who would steal popsicle sticks?

    12:37 PM  
    Blogger Family Man said...

    Mean old popsicle stick stealer! Love the door pictures.

    1:24 PM  
    Blogger Lori's Minute said...

    I am never happy when I talk to my brother either....must be a sister trait.

    8:39 PM  
    Blogger tsduff said...

    I thoroughly enjoyed reading about the great popsicle caper. Dr. John, you are one amazing storyteller.

    10:24 AM  
    Blogger Raven said...

    Welcome to wordzzles. I loved your story. Hope that evei popsicle thief gets caught, though I wouldn't be surprised if the wife hired someone to clear them out...

    Enjoyed the Pigeon Falls story too. Reminded me for some reason of Lake Woebegone.

    6:17 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi Dr. J. Thanks for inviting us into your home and showing us around. It's nice to see your doors. Have a great weekend.

    9:43 PM  
    Blogger Jeff B said...

    If they catch the guy I hope the charge "sticks".

    Nice Wordzzle.

    9:57 PM  
    Blogger Gattina said...

    Just to tell you I have seen these doors before, lol !

    5:01 AM  
    Blogger Robin said...

    Lots of doors at your place today. Makes up for my cheating and showing a picture of the bowl next to the door ;-).

    7:56 AM  
    Blogger Robert said...

    Thanks so much for sharing all your doors. Well maybe not all of them, but quite a few!

    8:24 PM  
    Blogger Shelly said...

    What a great story!
    Oh, and please don't be afraid of the dog at my door...she's really and truly harmless - she loooves men so you don't have a single thing to worry about.

    8:04 AM  
    Blogger Richard said...

    Great Story, welcome to Wordzzle.

    Rich

    6:55 AM  
    Blogger Dianne said...

    I had to search a bit for your Wordzzle but it was so worth it

    A rich Finn at Walmart!! that alone is priceless but the collection and the crime were so inspired.

    Welcome to Wordzzle!!

    7:27 AM  
    Blogger Akelamalu said...

    Welcome to Wordzzles!

    You made popsicle sticks interesting - that's not an easy thing to do. Well done!

    8:28 AM  
    Blogger Jay said...

    Excellent Wordzzling!

    I tried to save Popsicle sticks back when I was a kid. I wanted to build a house out of them. Didn't work out so good. LOL

    5:47 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Ha! What a great yarn you spun! That was a blast! I enjoyed your post very much! Love your rich, Finnish friend :-)

    7:46 PM  
    Blogger Linda Murphy said...

    Great Wordzzle-hope you will continue to play!

    9:35 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home