Thursday, September 04, 2008

Dead in the Baggage Coach

Link of the Day
Spider in the Bathtub

Saying for the Day:

Those who wish to sing always find a song. ~Proverb

Picture of the Day:

Doors a Meme by Jientje



Doors
On the left set one

On the right set two









Open the left there is our WII play center.


























  • Open the right two more doors though they look like portals.
















    Open the dryer door and there is our dragon out for a ride.
    Just a bit dizzy.










    The Days Wrap UP
    I started the day six points down on my oxygen which meant I had to haul the oxygewn tank all day. After I blogged I visited some of the blogs with church pictures. Then I just visited blogs looking for blogs to use as the blog of the day. After that I looked up this week's fifteen words in case I decide to try that tomorrow. In the afternoon we went to the basement and laid track. It wasa much harder than expected but we got it all down. Then we ran the train. It worked will. Then we added a passenger car to the engine. It hit a corner which had to be adjusted.After that everything went well. Next we need to add the center platforms and get things ready for the wiring to the houses. But it is coming. Now I need a breathing treatment.
    GBYA

    *********************************************
    My sister called yesterday, the one that has no internet. She had her son look up two old songs our mother used to sing . She learned them from my grandmother who used to play them on an old wind up Victrola.
    One of them showed up in the Pigeon Falls Talent Show.
    So I went and looked up the words to share with you, my grandmother’s song.

    IN THE BAGGAGE-COACH AHEAD
    Gussie L. Davis, 1896

    On a dark stormy night as the train rattled on, all the passengers had gone to bed
    Except one young man with a babe in his arms who sat with a bowed-down head.
    The innocent one began crying just then, as though its poor heart would break.
    One angry man said, "Make that child stop its noise, for it's keeping all of us awake."
    "Put it out," said another. "Don't keep it in here. We've paid for our berths and want rest."
    But never a word said the man with the child, as he fondled it close to his breast.
    "Where is its mother? Go take it to her," this a lady then softly said.
    "I wish that I could," was the man's sad reply, "but she's dead in the coach ahead."

    CHORUS: While the train rolled onward, a husband sat in tears,
    Thinking of the happiness of just a few short years.
    For baby's face brings pictures of a cherished hope that's dead,
    But baby's cries can't waken her in the baggage coach ahead.

    Ev'ry eye filled with tears when his story he told of a wife who was faithful and true.
    He told how he'd saved all his earnings for years, just to build up a home for two.
    How, when Heaven had sent them this sweet little babe, their young happy lives were blessed.
    His heart seemed to break when he mentioned her name, and in tears tried to tell them the rest.
    Every woman arose to assist with the child. There were mothers and wives on that train.
    And soon was the little one sleeping in peace with no thought of sorrow or pain.
    Next morn at a station, he bade all goodbye. "God bless you," he softly said.
    They each had a story to tell in their home of the baggage coach ahead.

    CHORUS

    I played this song on the Victrola so many times when I was a kid that I almost knew it by heart. It still pops into my mind from timed to time.
    My grandmother didn’t have many records.
    They were almost all sad.

    News from Pigeon Falls
    The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal. Tommy UK ordered a five disk set of Mary Maxim movies from Amazon.com. As soon as they come he is going to study them and if he is convinced it could be Mrs. Trumble then he will confront her. He wants to be fairly sure first. He is also studying Petrovich’s latest driblet.
    At this point, however, because of Nancy half of the town thinks Mrs. Trumble is Mary Maxim. This really upsets Eino. He told Nancy that it was unkind of her to spread the story. If it’s true it is probable Mrs. Trumble didn’t want people to know and she has ruined that for her. If it is false lots of people will go right on believing it because that’s the way people are. In either case Mrs. Trumble came to Pigeon Falls, invested a great deal in Pigeon Falls, and when nobody else was willing became Mayor and has done a great job. She deserves commendation not gossip.
    Nancy feels bad but gossip is like a feather in the wind . Once it blows you can’t get it back. But she has decided not to spread this piece of gossip any more.
    Plans are now being made for the big October Fest which will be held the first week in October. If there is anything that Pigeon Falls loves it’s a celebration.

    13 Comments:

    Blogger Janets Planet said...

    Certainly Mrs. Trumble has gotten wind of the rumors by now with half the town knowing.

    4:40 AM  
    Blogger Melli said...

    Oh that truuuly is a sad sad song! It nearly brought ME to tears and I can't even hear it! I bet it's beautiful though...

    Do you suppose Nancy will ever learn about gossip? I mean, okay, she's got it for THIS time - too late - but the next juicy story that comes along... you know...

    October Fest! Wow! Always sOMething goin' on in Pigeon Falls!

    4:58 AM  
    Blogger Gattina said...

    You gave me THE idea, but now it's too late ! Instead of running around and taking pictures of old abbeys and castle doors I should have showed all doors in my house !! sigh* will be for next time.

    6:23 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi Dr. John,
    Those are the kind of doors that are well used...
    Have a great day.

    7:30 AM  
    Blogger Carver said...

    That is a very sad song. So many of the old ballades I grew up on and that my mother sang were sad. My mother was from the Appalachian mountains and she knew so many old ballades and had a sweet voice, I can almost hear it. I like how you are showing us functional doors and then throwing in a dragon or two for good measure. Love the picture of the day.

    9:31 AM  
    Blogger Carletta said...

    Your quote of the day so fits me to a "T." Music is my daily sustanence.
    I like how you presented your doors today. I especially like the thought of the washer and dryer being portals - to take us wherever we want to go. Thanks for that daydream today Dr. John.

    9:52 AM  
    Blogger Dragonstar said...

    That's such a sad song.

    I love your doors, and the way they all open and open. Lovely.

    10:57 AM  
    Blogger juliana said...

    the dragon doesn't look too happy about his treatment behind those neat doors ;)

    what a sad song!

    11:32 AM  
    Blogger Mountain Mama said...

    This must be the time of year for 'old songs.' I recently brought the old turntable down along with boxes of old records and have been playing them occassionally. Some of the really old records have dates of 1908 and the songs are pretty funny even though there is a lot of wear on the records and they sound a bit scratchy I can still understand most of the words. The newer records from the 40s and 50's bring back tons of memories because they are the songs my folks listened to when I was a kid. Then of course the 70's and 80's with Neil Diamond, Roy Orbison and of course Elvis.
    Music does have a way of turning back the clock, doesn't it?

    11:45 AM  
    Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

    Haunting Lyrics to the song. I'd like to be able to find it somewhere and be able to listen to it.

    A Blessed Day is wished for you and Betty and the Family.

    1:15 PM  
    Blogger Melli said...

    Dr. John... You & Betty hearing ME laugh out loud is on MY list of things to do!

    5:49 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I wish those portals were real. Are they?

    9:44 PM  
    Blogger tsduff said...

    My mom used to sing songs to me too. I like that one - never heard it before.

    10:32 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home