Saturday, August 30, 2008

A Bad Zoo

Link of the Day
Flip Chart Fairy Tales
Saying for the Day:
If all the beasts were gone, men would die from a great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts also happens to the man. All things are connected. Whatever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth. ~Chief Seattle of the Suquamish Tribe,

Picture of the Day:
I Was Born2Cree8's Bridges


The Days Wrap UP
Today's bridge and the last one is from Darby Park in Neenah. Look at the fine stone work.
All my children and grandchildren are here. The grandkids took over the computer room so this is my first chance to get on a computer since early this morning. They are eating. Betty, Alex, and I went grocery shopping. In the afternoon while the kids did their thing Betty and I played Lori and Pennie in Canasta. Betty and I won. Pat grilled and we had a feast. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

***********************************************
A Bad Zoo
I took my grandsons to the local zoo on Tuesday. They loved it. I was not happy with it.
It had all kinds of animal, lions, bears, tigers ( two kinds), all kinds of birds, camels, wallabies, and an unbelievable number of animals native to Wisconsin. They also had this wonderful park area where the boys could climb and play when they were tired of looking at animals. I could see why the boys loved it.
But it made me feel sad. The zoo was an old fashioned zoo. All the animals were in very restrictive cages. There was no attempt at natural habitat. As I pointed out to the boys they had more room in the play area than any of the animals had. It just wasn’t right.
I am used to zoos like Disney has or the big zoos now have. The animals are in as close to natural habitat as possible.
There is not much I can do about it. They are breaking no law.
But I won’t ever go back.


News from Pigeon Falls
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal.
The Liar’s Club has a real problem. They have a four way tie. And have never had one before. In fact in the finals they have never had a tie before. They have to come up with some way short of drawing straws that will allow them to proclaim somebody as the winner.
Buddy East , the Great and Grand Master Liar, has put forth two possible solutions.
1. Go back to the original scores and add in the high and low number that were removed.
2. Have every one of them do another story.
The Liar’s Club will meet this afternoon and come up with some kind of solution.
Tommy TW’s Publisher informed him the new book is about to be released. They think it will be received even better than the first.
Tommy UK still hasn’t gotten up enough never to ask Mrs. Trumble about her past and Nancy still hasn’t shared her information with him.
Both sets of twins are doing well. The Petrovich girls even have their father smiling which some people thought he couldn’t do.
Mayor Trumble told the town council that Pigeon Days was a great success and they should start planning for next year.

Labels:

18 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

Next year they need to plan for an Alex Grengicoff look-a-like contest.

5:57 AM  
Blogger Dragonstar said...

Zoos can be such unhappy places, even though they keep animals alive.

6:35 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

I looooove your last bridges -- especially the stone bridge - but I love the happy boys on the wooden bridge too!

I totally agree about the old zoo. I really can't believe any of them still exist! That is so sad!

Too bad the liars club competition is over... there's a whopper in my Wordzzle today! :) (I actually put up two separate posts today... just to throw you off guard!)

7:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is sad about the zoo and yeah what can you do except not go back. The stone bridge though is my favorite so far!

8:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand completely why the zoo hurt your soul. I would have hated it, too. Most of the Honolulu Zoo has habitat-like enclosures for the animals, but the elephants are still in a small, cement enclosure. Seeing that dampened much of the enjoyment I had already had.

The contrast was so remarked that one my my three year olds (when I taught preK last year) asked, "Why da elepunt in da houz?"

8:24 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Auwww, you have such a big heart Dr. John - even for the littlest of God's creatures.

8:32 AM  
Blogger Gattina said...

The boys on the bridge are so cute !

8:40 AM  
Blogger Carver said...

I enjoyed this so much. Stone bridges are my favorites but the boys at the putt putt bridge took me back as I've taken my daughter to play putt putt with friends so many times when she was growing up. Your grandson's are a handsome pair.

8:46 AM  
Blogger Bazza said...

I agree with your comments about zoo's Dr John, but unfortunately kids love them. Who do you put first, your kids or the animals?

10:16 AM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

The bridge is just beautiful and as you say the stonework is magnificent.
Love the boys on the bridge too.
We don't have any bridges like that around here. Wish we did!
About the caged animals at the zoo, I totally agree with you and It SHOULD be against the law. I wonder why the SPCA hasn't intervened by now??
I can't imagine any animal having to live like that, except maybe a snake. But they are reptiles. An animal needs room to run and feel the wind in it's face.
I wouldn't want to take my grandkids to a place like that either because in a way it's telling them we approve.
We don't have a zoo here in Bellingham. The nearest is in Seattle and they have done a lot to give the animals more freedom.

2:36 PM  
Blogger Krysti said...

ACK!!! NOW ya did it! That means I have to have MY story ready by tomorrow night ... or else I can't come visit you! LOL!

4:59 PM  
Blogger Krysti said...

Oops! Krysti is ME - Melli -- I'm working on her blog right now... *sigh*

5:00 PM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

The only reason you won is because we lost.

6:42 PM  
Blogger Carletta said...

Hi Dr.John.
Handsome young men in your picture of the day.
I love the stone bridge - stone is my favorite kind of building material. I like how it looks and how the patina changes over time.
I wish the old zoos would change their ways too. It's sad we need zoos to keep from losing some species.
Thanks for coming by my flatboat bridges today. I'm late getting around today as I've been off to some nearby apple orchards to buy apples for freezing.
Hope you have a wonderful Sunday tomorrow.

7:08 PM  
Blogger Alice (in BC Canada) said...

Dr. J, these are all great photos!!! I like the little wood bridge at the mini golf. Are those two handsome young men your grandsons?

The stone bridges are incredible. Wow, beautiful work! Thanks for showing us what it would be like to walk on one (last photo).

Thanks so much for joining in and helping with BRIDGING THE GAP. I've so much enjoyed all the photos you posted. It's been a lot of fun.

11:19 PM  
Blogger Alice (in BC Canada) said...

These are woofenderful piktures. Do those boys like big black dogs? Bark!!

11:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooopppsss. silly dog. I furgot to change it from Mom's thingy to mine. That last comment was from this dog, not my hooman Mom. Bark!!!

11:21 PM  
Blogger Minkydo said...

Such cute bridges and boys.

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home