Sunday, September 07, 2008

A Better Place

Saying for the Day:
I expect to pass through life but once. If therefore, there be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do to any fellow being, let me do it now, and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again. ~William Penn

Picture of the Day:
UP Lutheran Churches


  • Robert's Challenge
    ( Show me your mailbox)


    The Days Wrap UP
    See I could have used a Church door every day last week.Went to Church early this morning since Sunday School started.The children made dodecahedrons if you can imagine that. Pastor Steve preached a truly great sermon.In the afternoon I brought St., Mark's website up to date. That included the creation of a slide show of the morning 's Sunday School. Th3en a took a napo . Followed by some blog visiting. Now I need a breathing treatment.
    GBYA
    ******************************************

    I’ve been reading “God with Skin and Other Poems” by Carol M. Parker
    With her permission I share this poem with you

    A BETTER PLACE
    There's something all of us must face -
    The world would be a better place
    if each of us would try, each day,
    by every means, in every way,
    to concentrate on thoughts and deeds
    that help meet other people's needs.
    Such simple things revive, renew -
    how many things there are to do! -
    like tend some flowers, plant a tree,
    preserve another's dignity,
    recycle goods, protect the wild,
    or read a story to a child,
    forgive a wrong, or share a smile,
    prepare to go the "second mile,"
    ignore another's faults or flaws,
    contribute to a worthy cause,
    reduce pollution, feed the birds,
    deliver meals and share kind words,
    or wrap a friend in warm embrace -
    and make the world a better place!
    Copyright 2000 by Carol Parker

    News from Pigeon Falls
    The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal. After what seemed like ages to Nancy. Mrs. Trumble came to have coffee and Nancy asked her why she came to Pigeon Falls.
    Mrs. Trumble responded “ It took you long enough to ask me. I heard you were asking people about me. You know gossip travels in more than one direction in this town. But to answer your question. I came to Pigeon Falls because this is where Mr. Trumble decided to retire. He was tired of big cities. He wanted a small town . His love of railroads brought him here since it’s one of the last small towns served by a railroad. It even has a milk train. Now let me ask you a question. Why did your husband come to Pigeon Falls ?
    Nancy answered that she didn’t know.
    Mrs. Trumble then said “ Why don’t you ask him . You asked Neil, Petrovich, and me.”
    Then she had another saffron bun.
    Nancy went to bring coffee to another customer. Mrs. Trumble left smiling.
    Pastor Joan started her sermon this morning by saying :“I was into Nancy’s coffee shop and heard that one of our members was having an affair with another of our members. So I thought I might save the news some time and announce it from the pulpit this morning. What do you think? I can give you the names and the tasty details. My goodness you all look so shocked. Is that the same face you put on when you hear the gossip at Nancy’s or the Beauty Shop or out on the street. But your faces say you know it’s wrong. But if it’s wrong here isn’t it just as wrong there? Or do you believe it’s okay to sin outside of Church but not in Church. What! Do you think God can’t see you outside of Church? Of course He can. God expects you to act as a healer, a builder, and not a destroyer and gossip destroys. You know that. You know that you are to care about your neighbor. So the next time don’t join in. Next time don’t spread what you couldn’t help hearing. Ask yourself what does God want me to do. Then do it. Buy the way I didn’t really hear any gossip at Nancy’s but the saffron was good.

    15 Comments:

    Blogger Melli said...

    Amen!!! Oh AMEN!!! Gooooood sermon Pastor Joan!!! And imagine the Mayor putting Nancy straight like that! LOL!

    Your churches are beautiful! What does UP stand for? (the only thing I can think of is Upper Peninsula!)

    6:07 AM  
    Blogger Bazza said...

    Very astute Pastor Joan, very astute

    6:19 AM  
    Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

    Wonderful Poem Dr John ~ Thank you for sharing.

    A Blessed Sunday is wished for you and Betty and your family.

    7:11 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Okay I just noticed your baby pic up there and it's so darn cute! Love it.

    8:03 AM  
    Blogger Dragonstar said...

    Very good Pastor Joan!

    8:38 AM  
    Blogger Janets Planet said...

    I think the next question to ask Mrs. Trumble is how old was her mother when she was born and was it storming that night? Could be Petrovich's driblet about the twins being born had come to pass many years ago. Maybe Maxim is Mrs. Trumble's twin --- her evil twin sister.

    10:16 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Very good sermon! Once upon a time I had the privilege of living in a small apartment above a church. One day I told the church secretary I was going upstairs to fill out report cards and watch a movie. She said -- not joking in the least -- "What kind of movie are you going to watch? This is a church you know. God will be watching, too!" And I replied, "Since no matter where I watch the movie, God is watching too, I always choose accordingly."

    11:52 AM  
    Blogger Rebecca (Ramblings by Reba) said...

    I like those flowers! :)

    4:34 PM  
    Blogger Carletta said...

    Dr. John I do believe you have the prettiest mailbox today!

    Hope you had a blessed Sunday!

    4:50 PM  
    Blogger Anndi said...

    Lovely post all round.

    5:37 PM  
    Blogger Carver said...

    That's a beautiful church. The mailbox challenge is a good idea. I may need a month to recover from the other challenges I've done before I try another. I love the flowers on the mailbox you posted.

    5:53 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What a cute mailbox.. I like the lil dragon.. if that one's yours. :)

    6:48 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey! Was that mailbox up there earlier? I think it was the fanciest one in the challenge -- including the one disguised as a cow!

    In church today I pastor talked of putting on Jesus and wearing him when we go out into the world. I think we should wear him in our own homes, too -- to make certain that he fits well and looks natural.

    7:02 PM  
    Blogger Robin said...

    Very pretty mailbox, and a very lovely church - especially those narrow, elegant windows.

    10:50 PM  
    Blogger Robert said...

    Now that's a mailbox. It must make the mail delivery person (is that pc enough?) happy to come there each day. Thanks so much for participating. Hope you're having fun with this. I sure am.

    8:25 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home