Saturday, April 19, 2008

Why me?

Saying for the day: The only time you can be sure a politician isn't lying is when he doesn't speak.
I have a problem. I don’t know how to solve it.
Last night I watched House on Fox.
I try not to watch House on Fox because he is my problem.
But last night there was just nothing else to watch. I only have ninety channels after all.
So I watched House.
My problem returned full force.
My problem is this I like House.
I know I shouldn’t. I’m a Pastor after all. Please don’t think less of me for it but I just can’t help myself I like the guy.
Now I know I shouldn’t because:
1. He is a pill popping addict– You know it and I know it. He should be in rehab.
2. He takes advantage of friends and colleagues. ( Not a desirable trait)
3. He humiliates and uses the people who work for and with him.
4. He doesn’t hesitate to break hospital rules.
5. He is an evangelistic atheist that brooks no talk of God.
I could go on but that’s enough to show my problem. I should despise the guy.
I should sit and root for the police who are trying to prove he’s a drug addict.
I should be on the side of the hospital administrator. I should!
But I like House.
It could be because he is such a sad and lonely figure that I feel sorry for him. Well he is sad and he is lonely but I don’t feel sorry for him. Well maybe a little bit.
It could be that he is always right. We like that in people. No that isn’t it. People who are always right and know they are right upset me. They get on my nerves.

It could be that his beating the institution resonates with us.
It’s like sticking it to the Bishop who thinks he knows everything and has all the power. Or beating the boss who you and I know shouldn’t be boss he’s so incompetent. Or taking on the evil bank that wants to foreclose on our house.
Like a super hero he takes on the powers we can’t fight and he wins.

He wins.

While we sit entangled in rules that keep us from doing what needs to be done he cuts through all of that and saves the patient.
While the hospital ,to protect the precious rules ,would let the patient die he saves them.
I suppose that’s it. But its still a problem. When did I become so anti institution. When did I quit believing in the government? When did I give up on the leadership of the Church? When did I begin to see all the rule makers as the bad guys?
Why in the world do I like House?

#### News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal. Wow! Last night the dragon gave the best show ever. It lasted ten minutes. There were loops and rolls and things that looked like fireworks. The crowd cheered and cheered. Every night the crowd gets larger.
Petrovich’s wife was seen coming out of the new clinic. People took this as evidence that the news on the street that she was pregnant was true. Besides Joe who works in the lab told his friend Frank down at the garage that the tests show her to be pregnant. Confidentiality in a small town is hard to maintain. Of course, Frank wasn’t supposed to tell anybody so he only told his wife and his mother. They told all the ladies in the Methodist pasty making group. Everyone, of course, is keeping it a secret. There are at least three people in town who haven’t heard.
The Liar’s Club met last night and elected Buddy East as President for another year. Then they began to look at the summer contests. This years outsider contest was to be stories about elf wishes and what happened after the wish. They lined up a judging committee and a rules committee to make up some good rules. They also appointed a prize committee. They want this to be the best contest ever. They will meet again next week or the week after.
*****

Today's Link-Another Day in Paradise- Bits and pieces of a very complicated life
Got a late start this morning. Oxygen was down a bit. Spent some time with Pat and the boys. Then we all went to the Tumbleweed for lunch. The food was good and the kids had a great time. The entire family was there , Peter and his family, Pat and his boys, Pennie, Betty and I. I took some movies. When we came home I added the movies to our family videos on the blog. Then we watched Caleb open his gifts. While the kids played on the computers Betty, Pennie, Lori and I played Canasta. Betty and I won. Then Peter and family had to leave. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
Picture of Caleb from the party:

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to admit - I like House too. I think another reason I might like him (beyond your reasons) is that as rude and crude he can be he doesn't hold back. He lets you know where you stand. If he doesn't like you he will tell you that. I think there are too many people that don't really say what they mean or are afraid to say what they think.

I would not worry about liking House - he is a TV character on a popular show - I don't think it makes you a bad person!

Good Post.

7:25 AM  
Blogger Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Well, Jesus loved sinners too. The one thing that Jesus spoke out often against was the hypocrisy of the religious leaders. It was better to be the honest sinner than the hypocritical paragon of righteousness. Perhaps that is why despite his faults, you might find House's honest arrogance actually attractive cause it is honest or appears so. (It might still be self-delusional).

9:41 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

It it only a TV show and probably a good one, I've never seen the show just the upcoming Promos for the show. It probably has more substance than most of the shows on TV today now.

Just because you watched it doesn't make you a bad person, I watch Law & Order which can be really graphic itself in other ways. Watching this show the Lawyers are not always 100% Ethical.

Remember it it Television not real life.

A Blessed Weekend is wished for you and Betty.

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never watched House, but everyone says I should. I really should!

11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do you like House? Suddenly you have a mystery illness. Would you want Geoffrey House as your Doctor? Now you should understand. Although insulting them in the process, House defends the defenseless. That makes him a good guy -- and pretty much proves that when it comes to survival, the ends justifies the means ....

Oh, crap. Why do we like House?

12:23 PM  
Blogger MedStudentWife said...

I love House - I think its because he is one of the only ones who truly cares.

He reminds me of the "tuff" guy who is "tuff" because he actually has a very humane and soft side that he is hiding.

YEAH HOUSE !!!

Thank you very much, Dr. John, for the link to my blog :) I very much appreciate it !!!

2:08 PM  
Blogger Ruth W. said...

I have not watched TV in years, because of the very early hours I have to work. Now this is a very big change for me because I was a TV-holic. I am liking it better without TV, and enjoying my books more.

5:17 PM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Toward the end of Sunday service,
the Minister asked,
'How many of you have forgiven your enemies?'
80% held up their hands.
The Minister then repeated his question.
All responded this time,
except one small elderly lady.
'Mrs. Neely?';
'Are you not willing to forgive your enemies?'
I don't have any.'
She replied, smiling sweetly.
'Mrs. Neely, that is very unusual.
How old are you?'
'Ninety-eight.'
she replied.
'Oh, Mrs. Neely,
would you please come down in front & tell us all
how a person can live ninety-eight years
and
not have an enemy in the world?'
The little sweetheart of a lady tottered down the aisle,
the congregation,
and said: ...

6:22 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

I think Petrovich is secretly wishing that Gregnicoff actually included him in one of his driblets. That could be why his wife is pregnant.

10:15 AM  
Blogger tsduff said...

I love this post. I enjoy watching House - although he is all you said and more. He is amoral, unflinchingly callous, and he behaves in ways which we shudder to watch. But still we watch.

Reading your blog is such a treat. I can't do it at work much because it is difficult to find time to be able to savor the reading. I love reading about the dragon :)

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home