Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Snow is a four letter word

Saying for the Day-Spring, summer, and fall fill us with hope; winter alone reminds us of the human condition.- Mignon McLaughlin

In the name of Global Warming I want to lodge a protest. Just tell me what office of the government I should send it to. I have been promised Global Warming. I have been promised Spring.
Yesterday it looked like I was finally getting what I was promised. For most of the day there was a beautiful light rain. I could almost see my flowers growing. It was wonderful . But last night just before I went to bed I looked out the window and that wasn’t rain that was coming down. It was great big flakes of the worst four letter word in our vocabulary. It was snow. It hurts to say it. It hurts to type it. I feel betrayed.
Snow! This is Spring. Spring is not snow time. This morning I looked out and the field behind the house is all white. O! I know the man on TV said it will all melt by noon but you know how often he’s right. Even if it does melt my day is ruined.
I have an abnormal hatred of snow.
So I want to lodge a protest. All you Global Warming people stand up and deliver. I checked and the last eight years have actually been colder than average. This one set record cold days in Neenah. That simply isn’t fair. You can’t promise me one thing and give me another.
Shame on you Al Gore.
#### News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal. It snowed in Pigeon Falls yesterday. It really snowed, blizzard quality snowed. People living out on the farm roads didn’t even get plowed out until noon. There was no school. The kids thought it was great. This, of course, is nothing new for the Upper Peninsula. They have had snow storms in July. But people were hoping that the weather might give them a break.
Despite the weather the Museum Board met last night. Their matching funds have been approved and they wanted to get started on the renovations. They plan on having much of the work done by volunteers. That way the grant money can be used for materials and they can make it stretch.
They also decided to have one room set up to illustrate the mining and logging industries. They are interviewing people who worked years ago in these industries and getting the interviews as little videos. They also have asked Bob Dawsone who is a master story teller to tell stories of the old mine disasters on video. People going into the room can see the video that interests them. They will also video the last mine and lumber mill in action. They have great plans for the exhibit.
Petrovich is donating two computers with huge screens. The screens will display the Coptic driblet and when a person pushes a button it will dissolve into English. It should be very impressive.
******

Today's Link-A Feather Adrift- This link is recommended by Josie
I spent much of the morning watching Betty clean the kitchen. She also changed the water filter on the refrigerator.In the afternoon it was back to the basement. We now think that sometime next week we can get back to working on the train layout. I came up and visited all my links. One of them had this sight wehere you could have your picture Warholized so I did and it will be the closing picture today. Just as I was about to sign off Pennie called. She was visiting a client and somebody backed into her car. Now I need a breathing treatment. It's been a long day.
GBYA

17 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

I think everyone in Wisconsin should go out and turn on every gas engine they have and run them all winter. If it stops snowing, then I will believe in global warming!

5:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From my understanding of Global warming is not that the earth will be hotter and hotter all the time. Part of it is that seasons will be "Messed up" for example, it could be snowing when it is spring time.

I could be wrong but that's what I have heard.

As for me I am okay with the weather we have right now. I love spring and fall - not too hot and not too cold.

5:41 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

I heard peepers yesterday afternoon on my way home from work. I've also heard that they have to "freeze three times" before it's really spring...
Also, my mother in law always used to say that it had to "snow on the daffodils" before we were all through with getting snow too. We don't have any blossoming daffodils yet...
I suspect we are not through yet with that horrid four letter word.

6:41 AM  
Blogger J C said...

Oh my gosh, S-N-O-W in April. So sorry Dr. J. But at least it's beautiful, huh?

6:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come visit Oahu. The only snow we get here comes i a cone!

7:49 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

It is hard to believe in Global Warming when your toes are cold.

8:13 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Snow? Spring? Here in Houston we sped right by Spring right into Summer. The heat and humidity are back and the air conditioners are working full blast. Send us a little snow. The weather geniuses are predicting cooler weather this coming weekend. Yeah right.

9:34 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

Aaagggghhhh....you said the S-word! If it was me dealing with that stuff, I'd be on the floor having a tantrum, toddler style.

9:53 AM  
Blogger Sherry said...

I guess I'm not the only one grousing about this miserable spring after a miserable winter. Global warming doesn't mean that things literally change permanently over night. It means that the trends are in the direction of change, and that we are moving inexolerably warmer over time.

Thanks for the link Dr. John. I'm impressed with your blog and will visit again. :)

1:31 PM  
Blogger butterflies said...

Im not too impressed with this cold weather here either!
Yesterday was warm and today is freezing again.
Roll on summer when I can sit in the park and watch the children play in the fountain!

3:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I second your motion, Dr. John. Yesterday I had to run my AC and today I have to have my fire place going...and we are getting 3" of rain.

3:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mother Nature can be such a teaser when it comes to spring. Being in New England I feel your pain. We don't have that foul 4 letter word though, thank goodness!

6:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're supposed to get snow this weekend. I'm already preparing to pout. I'm with you, let's make those global warning fibbers stand up and say they're sorry!

7:38 PM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

I think we had an extension to winter is I saw my first Robin over the weekend, and I am afraid it not only snowed here in Calgary but some made it to Wisconsin. Sorry Dr John.

You didn't see your first robin lately did you Dr John.

Wishing you an early Spring

7:58 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Dr. John, I think the correct term is actually "climate change" which is definitely happening. Did you ever see a movie called "The Day After Tomorrow"? It's really good. You can rent it on DVD. The earth actually goes into an ice age.

Love the Warhol picture, by the way! It looks like you've got a bit of an Elvis thing going there with your hair. :-)

8:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Seems that neither of us are happy with our current weather, Dr. J.

I have an abnormal hatred of heat and humidity.

Perhaps we should swap houses for a while? That is, if you and Betty think you'd be comfortable in a very, very warm house the size of a postage stamp!

12:09 AM  
Blogger Alastair said...

I could be a smart alec and go into detail of the diverse effects of a general rise in sea temperature caused by global warming, but instead I will say that Spring has arrived in Cambridgeshire, England - the last couple of days have been gorgeously sunny, brisk, with shoots coming out of the ground and a general feel of life in the air...

dum de dum de dum etc etc

3:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home