Saturday, April 05, 2008

Love that Kills

Saying for the Day: Love is the condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own. ~Robert Heinlein

Do you love me enough to kill me? That’s what the old man, in the movie I was watching the other night, asked his children. He was in great pain and dying very slowly from cancer. How much love does it take to kill somebody? What a horrible question.
I thought of it today because I read of a mother who had taken care of her helpless daughter all of the daughter’s life. The daughter had a severe brain injury and needed constant care. The mother was now seventy years old and dying of cancer so she poisoned her daughter. She said” I loved her too much to leave her without anybody to care for her.”
“I loved her too much”. She loved her enough to kill her.
Last week two teenagers killed the family of the boy. When they were arrested the girl told the police “ I loved him so much that I couldn’t let his parents break us up.” She loved him enough to kill for him.
In a perfect world this would never happen. Love would never lead to death. But this is not a perfect world. This is a broken and sinful world. In it even our best attributes, our ability to love and care are distorted and broken.
When I read something like that I say” Come Lord Jesus. It is time to set your people free.”
It is time to be free from love that kills instead of heals. It is time to end the broken human condition and make us whole. It is time for sin to end.”
Love was never meant to destroy .
#### News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal. Last night the Tommy Club confronted Jack’s nephew Brian. They told him they had fingerprints and other evidence that indicate he faked the murder. Much to their surprise Brian confessed.
He thought it was a really funny thing to do. It added a little extra excitement to the weekend. It didn’t hurt anybody. And , best of all, it closed Jack’s Sauna so he wasn’t stuck running it anymore. He hated that job. But he had begun to feel a little guilty so he was happy to confess.
The only crime he was guilty of was mannequin robing and Kiv&Maki decided not to bring charges on that. In fact Brian seems to have come out ahead. He doesn’t have to work at the Sauna, he is now a bit of a legend which attracts some girls to him. He has a great story to tell which he keeps embellishing. It has all worked out pretty well for him.
The Tommy Club has gained some respect as local detectives. There was even an article in the Iron Mountain paper with the headline “ Kids solve fake murder”. The article described how, when the police were not concerned the Tommy Club stepped in and gathered the clues and solved the case. Everybody seems to have gained.
Nancy is happy. Tommy TW was cleared . There were some who thought he set it up to sell his book. He even got a little blurb on a national news show which announced “ Life copies Literature”.
Bonnie McGregor has been reading the driblet. She says it doesn’t seem so bad. She wonders what the phrase “It is like the first but not like the first.” means.
******

Today's Link-The Wonderful World of Nothing Worthwhile- A Look at Conflict in the Workplace
Just another nice day. Betty and I played games on our computers in the morning. Then Betty , Pennie, and I went out for luch. After lunch I came home and Betty and Pennie went shopping. I diod some research on eBay to see if there was a market for some of the other things we have left in the basement. Our Good Will boxes went this morning. Then I visited all my links. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

10 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

Your prayer is a good one for news of sensless acts.

In a murder, the husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfried are always suspects. As are disgruntled employees. Brian apparently fits the bill.

Well, Bonnie McGregor probably doesnt have to worry about going into labor on a sunny day at least.

5:36 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

beautiful post. agree totally. still around, but working hard around the house..renos still coming along. we are so happy with what it looks like, often happy tears have come to me. never did i think, that i too could have a nice place. i'm so grateful. we are so blessed.
another wknd away from home so that they can seal the marvel. winter storm came through last evening, lol..during the day i was wearing sandals and then just like that we are back in boots,, lol..

hope you and family are alright. thank you for writting still daily.

think of you guys all the time.
hope to have more down time soon with the work starting to come to an end.

much love and hugs to all. pls stay healthy and breath easy.

6:30 AM  
Blogger Cycling Goddess said...

What a thought provoking post for me today. I never been in the situation about death but I have been with someone who used the "I love you too much" to emotionally abuse me and not wanting to let me go. It is scary indeed.

Yes, the world has lost the core value of love and caring. Sometimes we see glimpse of what it "used to be" or "should be" but they are far and few in between.

I tagged you in my Make a Wish meme, I hope you can do it. But I think I would have a wish for you today is that you get to breathe better soon.

8:25 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

How true you are Dr John, I totally agree, one must not kill for the sake of Love. I watched my Mother die from Cancer, when I realized how bad it was I prayed and God took Mum out of her pain. One needs faith and not to take things on themselves.

Thank you for the wonderful post.

A Blessed Weekend is wished for you and Betty.

9:09 AM  
Blogger Bazza said...

I could not agree with you more.

10:56 AM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

Very good post. My mother suffered for several years with Alzheimer's before the Lord took her. I prayed daily for the lord to heal her and did my best to take care of her but I never prayed for her death. Our coming and going is the Lord's business. Our job is to love and care for one another.
I have to add that I do understand the part about not wanting our loved ones to suffer and I don't know what I would do in such circumstances. Pray more and thank the Lord for morphine I think.

2:31 PM  
Blogger Voegtli said...

As soon as I have time, I will create a folder and "collect" your Sayings of the day. It will be the easiest, shortest and most efficient way of collecting "food for thought".

8:45 PM  
Blogger GW said...

Hi, Dr. John. I am sorry to have been so scarce. I've gotten so far behibg in my blog reading, trying to keep up with too many. This post is so well presented. I've often thought about the irrational, immature "love" many of us feel as teens, and how some never grow out of that obsessive, possessive need.

9:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Betty has good taste in games.

10:38 AM  
Blogger Neoma said...

I think it is a very egotistical and selfish person who thinks they have the right to decide when and where a person should die. Although I guess if someone begs someone to end their suffering it is a bit different than someone killing someone who didn't request it. I couldn't kill anyone, no matter how much they begged. I feel that life is just to precious. But I know that with pain, there comes a time when you cant take it anymore. but to ask another person to kill you is a sin in itsself, and very selfish. And really putting someone in a bad place.

Your days sound much like mine, but it is what I enjoy, regular routine and nothing to earth shaking. although some people might consider it a bit boring, haha. I like boredom, I guess. I can work in my flowers for hours, or do nothing at all, and just browse the computer. Hasn't always been like this, but as I grow older, I stay home more and more.

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home