Friday, March 28, 2008

A Storyteller

Saying for the day-"In the white man's schools, they teach children what to think; we tell them stories and ask them to think for themselves." Ray Apodaca, Apache

Since I wrote down another elf tale yesterday I am keenly aware of the differences between a writer and a storyteller. I am a storyteller. I am not a writer. What are the differences?
1. A storyteller creates and tells stories but so does a writer.
2. The story teller creates the story new every time he tells it. The writer’s story is frozen at the time it is written down.
3. The story teller adjusts the story to the audience. The writer doesn’t have an audience.
4. The story teller can use words he can’t spell. The writer has no such luxury.
5. Words that sound the same are not a problem for a storyteller. They are for a writer and a spelling checker won’t catch them.
6.A storyteller doesn’t have to worry about punctuation. A writer certainly does.
7. A storyteller can play with the sound of words. A writer can’t.
8. Storytelling existed long before writing.
9. Storytelling is by far more fun.
A blog is a strange combination of both.
#### News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal. Bonnie McGregor saw Martha Koski yesterday. The two women are getting along fine. Nurse Practitioner Martha said that Bonnie is doing fine. Everything is on schedule for her to have two healthy babies.
Bonnie and her husband are now trying to come up with names. Of course, they don’t know yet if they are boys or girls or both. So they are looking at both sets of names.
Petrovich, who is a friend of the McGregors , suggested one be named Alexis after the great Seer. But Bonnie doesn’t really like that name. So it’s doubtful that either of the babies will get that name.
Mr. Mcgregor suggested Tommy or Thomas but Bonnie said the town doesn’t need another Tommy. That would make him Tommy OPK ( Old People’s Kid) . Tommy UK said they would make him a member of the Tommy club.
Picking a name for one baby is difficult but picking a name for two is almost impossible. They have decided to wait until they know the sex before they work on the names again. They have an upcoming ultra sound that should reveal the sex of each child.
What wiull the babies be? Will one be named after the Great Seer. Could the town stand another Tommy? Will everything continue to be fine for Bonnie? and of course Is Tommy UK really the undertaker's kid? These and other questions not even asked might be answered tomorrow on news from Pigeon Falls or then again they might not be.
******

Today's Link-Blogim Stori ( Story Telling Blog)- A blog about storytelling.
I had a good day. I visited most of my links. I also visited a lot of blogs looking for future "Today's link". I had to find those blogs that met my standards which really aren't that high. I learned a lot as I always do when I do such intensive visiting. Then Betty and I went grocery shopping. We are doing the coffee at Church on Sunday in honor of her birthday so we needed supplies for cooking tomorrow.I'm making little saffron buns to share and we are also making little cupcakes all decorated. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

6 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

Magnus and Phoebe -- if they are a boy and a girl.

5:54 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

I have always liked that quote. I think we do limit, however unintentionally, our kids.

7:30 AM  
Blogger kimber said...

"A storyteller can use words he can't spell. The writer has no such luxury."

How troo! How very, very troo!

8:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must have gotten my teaching philosophy from the Apache. I want children to learn to think for themselves!

10:26 AM  
Blogger ArtsyTartsyViray said...

Interesting random fact:

The man that you quoted as the "saying for the day" has the same last name of one of my good friend's in high school.. that is.. when she got married.

Hmm.. I wonder if her husband is related to this Ray Apodaca fellow..

12:01 AM  
Blogger Jim Stahl said...

Dr John,

Thanks for your link to my blog, 'blogim stori'. I like your list of 9 differences between telling and writing stories, particularly #2 and #3,
"2. The story teller creates the story new every time he tells it. The writer’s story is frozen at the time it is written down.
3. The story teller adjusts the story to the audience. The writer doesn’t have an audience."
At least the writer doesn't have an audience that can interact immediately with the teller. The teller can alter the story seeing the feedback from the audience, whereas the writer has to imagine their audience or maybe test their writing on a sample audience first.
I've heard psychologists elaborate on #2, that each time we tell a story it is different slightly because of how our memory works. This is not to say that the story has changed, but is stated differently. I imagine much of this has to do with #3, the audience and their background, the context and situation.

Thanks for your comments.

Jim

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home