Monday, April 07, 2008

100 about me

Saying for the Day:Memory is a child walking along a seashore. You never can tell what small pebble it will pick up and store away among its treasured things. ~Pierce Harris, Atlanta Journal

I have run out of memes .But at least for a time I want Monday to be about me ( self centered as I am) . So I have decided to write 100 things about me. Because they will lack excitement I am only going to do 25 each Monday until I have reached 100. Then I will post the list on a sidebar.So here we go.
100 things about me.( The first twenty five)
1. I was born on May 21, 1939 in Ishpeming, Michigan.
2. My father was a pharmacist who just graduated from Ferris State college.
3. I can’t spell very well. ( Pharmacist courtesy of the spell checker)
4. I had a great pedal fire truck which I loved.
5. I was baptized at Bethel Lutheran Church.
6. When I was two we moved from town to the farm.
7. My two grandfathers and my father built our house. ( The grandfathers fought all the while)
8. We had geese that chased me around. I still have nightmares with mean geese in them.
9. I had a dog named Hessa that protected me. She was an English Springer Spaniel with papers but I didn’t know that. She was just my dog.
10. Hessa slept on my bed.
11. For the first few years I slept in what would become the dining room.
12. Because of a radio program I kept expecting crooks to come through my window.
13. We had cows, pigs, chickens, and the geese.
14. When we stopped raising animals we kids used the pig pen as a club house.
15. I was a picky eater from the beginning.
16. I spent a lot of time at Grandma Mabel’s until I started school.
17. Grandpa James called me little Jimmy in letters he sent to England.
18. Grandma Lydia died when I was six months old. ( No I don’t remember that)
19. When I was four my sister was born. I wanted to give her to my Aunt Doris.
20. With the birth of Dawn. I was moved to the upstairs bedroom. The steps were horrible . ( A result of the two grandfathers not agreeing on how the house should be laid out.
21. I still have nightmares where I fall down those steps.
22. We had a sauna. Grandpa John came every Saturday and hauled water down to the sauna and fired it up.
23. I would go blueberry picking in the field behind the house.
24. There were old barns to explore from when the farm had been more active. I loved exploring.
25. I had a pony. It was as mean as could be.
#### News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal. The Museum Board has raised Twenty Five Thousand Dollars and will use it to match twenty five thousand in state art funds. That will be enough to get the project started. The Latimer place will cost twenty seven thousand ( haunted houses don’t sell well) and that leaves the rest of the money for renovations. The house has four bedrooms upstairs, two small, and two fairly large. Downstairs there is a small dining room, a large living room, a small study , and a spacious kitchen. The Board has decided to give one of the small bedrooms to Petrovich for his driblet display. Petrovich wanted the downstairs study but he’ll take the space they give him.
One of the large bedrooms is being given to the churches for their display. There will be the little models of all the old churches as well as a history of each one. There will be old minute books, hymnals, certificates in multiple languages. There will be pictures of former pastors and church groups.
In the early years of Pigeon Falls there was a big Communist Hall. There are pictures of it and some material from it. It was struck by lightning and burned to the ground. It should show somewhere in the displays.
*******

Today's Link-Nobody Important- Some thoughts on losing a child
Another dull day. I started by visiting all my links. Then Betty and I worked in the basement. After lunch we worked in the basement again. We filled another bag with garbage. We set up another box for Good Will, We are moving right along. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always think that each of your linna masts is my favorite ... you should make up a gallery page of all your fortress photos.
MY INTERNET CONNECTION IS SLOW BECAUSE: slow dialup is the only thing available, faster would require enhanced phone lines which haven't come this far/may never. Two wireless companies found that hills prevent me from doing that. I don't know why my Dish doesn't have its own satellite connection?
This all means that surfing & leaving comments are a real time-consuming chore.
Okay ... not so lazy this am ...
I'm jealous of your infant tulips. I hope I didn't hear our weather forecast correctly; did I hear 7 or more inches of snow predicted here Wednesday?

6:15 AM  
Blogger Casdok said...

I cant spell very well either!!

Love the quote :)

6:56 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

I think all ponies are mean...

8:11 AM  
Blogger jmb said...

Thank you for the link Sir.

9:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My kids have an old pedal car that is a police car...it was handed down from the boys' grandfather.

11:13 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love these two:

14. When we stopped raising animals we kids used the pig pen as a club house.

19. When I was four my sister was born. I wanted to give her to my Aunt Doris.

Also, I hear that meditation helps relieve nightmares -- geese and stairs, indeed!

1:53 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

that was very interesting! I'm looking forward to the next 25. Perhaps you could start your own meme...

3:06 PM  
Blogger Devil Mood said...

Hi Dr John!
Thanks for visiting me.
I did 100 facts about me once upon a time, all at once, oof, it was hard work.
I guess this part was more focused on your childhood, that was smart of you. :)

4:45 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

What a nice post! And you were such a cute little kid, my goodness! It's funny the things we remember as children, isn't it?

I had a pony too, but he was as docile as can be, which was good because all the neighborhood kids liked to ride him.

I want to "borrow" your "today's link" thing. There are so many great blogs out there that perhaps folks aren't aware of, and I would like to promote some of them the way you do. One of them is A Feather Adrift. She has a lovely blog. Or perhaps you could make her blog your next "today's link".

7:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was NOT bored by the first 25 things about you, and I especially enjoyed the photos.

8:03 PM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Petrovich should have just upped his money donation if he wanted the study.

8:25 PM  
Blogger bettygram said...

That is a horrible picture of me. Please in the future ask me.

9:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geese can be pretty mean and scary. Back home in Md there is a park where they are fed all the time. So when they see you they come running and biting ready to chew, even if u have no food. Once one ran right up to me and bite me thinking I had food. Luckily I had super long nails then so it only bit my nail! LOL!

4:58 AM  
Blogger Neoma said...

All very interesting facts......
I like learning a bit about people. Some people's blogs are never personal, and I think the ones I like best are the ones where the people do talk about themself. It makes them so much more personal.

Geese are mean critters, I got bit by a goose once, will never forget how much it hurt....

10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home