Sunday, April 13, 2008

My Hero

Saying for the Day-Example is not the main thing in influencing others, it is the only thing.- Albert Schweitzer
Thanks to Janvangogh I now get up every morning and say good morning to my hero. Well to a picture of my hero. There are on my dresser sits a picture of Martin Luther that she made with a process I will never understand. But it makes no difference. It is a picture of Luther.
As I look at his picture I say to myself “I believe that I cannot by my own reason or strength believe in Jesus Christ, my Lord, or come to Him; but the Holy Ghost has called me by the Gospel, enlightened me with His gifts, sanctified and kept me in the true faith; “. Luther taught me that. He taught it to me when I didn’t even believe in God. I memorized it from the Small Catechism. It was necessary to get Confirmed.
When I finally made the leap of faith and discovered the joy of walking with Jesus those words came back. They helped to keep me Lutheran. Like many a new Christian I was I centered. Luther helped center me in God.
I didn’t save me God did.
I didn’t find God. God held unto me.
I owe Luther so much.
From him I learned that I was both Saint and Sinner.
From Him I learned that every day I needed to drown the old Adam and let the new man in Christ come forth.
Now I look up and see him.
This morning I told him I was going to Church to gladly hear and learn God’s Word.
He would have approved.

### News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal. Last night, for the fourth night in a row our dragon flew. If anything it seems to be taking longer to fly up and down main street. Its fire seems hotter. It was flying through a snowstorm and the snow in front of it melted and fell like rain. It is really really making people nervous.
Nancy’s Poltergeist, on the other hand, was fairly quiet. It floated a cup or two but that was about it. Nancy was rather relieved.
The Petrovich room is coming right along. His new carpenter said that all that moaning, groaning, and chain rattling distracted him at first but he put on earphones and listened to music from his Ipod. Petrovich obviously has the right man for the job. He even works on Saturday.
Tommy UK is still pushing to get an Exorcism done and drive out the ghosts. The problem for the Board is that volunteers were expected to do most of the work for them and not highly paid carpenters. Will volunteers work in a haunted house ? They are not at all sure.
Eino says that he will and so will his brother. They aren’t afraid of ghosts. If one was a ghost one might be afraid of Eino.
Will the Board find carpenters? Will the ghosts finally leave? Why is the dragon so active? How is Tommy TW’s new book coming along? And of course is Tommy UK really the undertaker’s kid. These aand a few other questions might get answered in coming News from Pigeon Falls.
******

Today's link-BelJohnna= An interesting look at drug commercials.
It was a rough day. My oxygen was down and my stomach was upset. But I had no fever so I went to church. The service was good, the sermon was good, the choir was great and the fellowship after the service first rate. I'm glad I hauled my oxygen bottle and went.In the afternoon I brought St. Mark's website up to date for the week.THen I took a nap. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

5 Comments:

Blogger Louisiana said...

Good morning friend.

My, i'm up early today and my luck, you posted very early too...hmmm, as her brain thinks and ponders she wonders and hopes all at the same time that is just one of those things and not that you had a bad night.

hope you slept and breathed peacefully.

a very nice quote and one i had never read before.

how true is to say that we are both saints and sinners.
the world and it's humans are all that, sometimes the percentage of one is more or less than the other but i guess not one of us, since we are not perfect, is just one sided..regardless of what it might look like or feel to us.

saint and sinner all in one, that is me too i guess and with that and contrition in my mind i shall attend mass and thank God for yet another thing you taught me and for another soul Mr. L helped.

have a good one friend. it is a warm wknd here in Calgary, the birds are out singing, the grass is fighting with all its might to turn green and i'm wearing my new sandals...it's spring after all, Let us Praise and give Thanks to God. another season, another reason to be grateful for and another opportunity for a new refresh and happy beginning.

love to you and the family. all our hearts with you all, hugs,
xo.

5:15 AM  
Blogger LoieJ said...

Yes, a good reminder of some good stuff from Catechism class. M. Luther was very good at putting things we do need to keep in mind in an understandable way. I may be the only Lutheran born only 5 days after the middle of the last century to still have my catechism book who actually looks at it once in awhile.

I do envy the youth in our church who have faith-in-action and faith-in-the-world lessons and activities, which I had not one minute of in church classes. But I do have the memorization which will be with me when I have little left of my mind.

5:39 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Luther helped me see the freedom in Christ.

I suspect that the dragon is just trying to do his part to bring about Global Warming to the folks in the midwest.

6:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know you already have this down, Dr.John, but I thought I'd share:

~

Watch your thoughts
...they become your words.

Watch your words
...they become your actions.

Watch your actions
...they become your character.

Watch your character
...they become your destiny.

10:13 AM  
Blogger dmarks said...

I have a wide variety of versions of "Theme from the Exorcist" if this will help the exorcism volunteers.

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home