Monday, April 21, 2008

Still More of the Hundred

Saying for the Day- We sometimes feel that we have been really understood, but it was always long ago, by someone now dead. ~Mignon McLaughlin, The Neurotic's Notebook, 1960

The 100 things about me continues:
51. After high school graduation I worked two summers at Bay Cliff Health Camp.
52. I also worked two summers as a deckhand on an ore boat.
53. At Northern I met the only woman I ever really loved.
54. When I went to Seminary she dumped me. ( My heart broke)
55. My psychological entrance exam picked up my heart break.
56. My psychological entrance exam indicated that I was compulsively neat. Well one out of two isn’t that bad.
57. I worked in the seminary kitchen . ( I washed dishes)
58. I taught at Chicago Technical College in the evenings.
59. I taught at a private Academy in Elgin in the afternoons.
60. I did a summer internship in Palmer and National Mine.
61. One summer I went back to Northern and finished my Master’s degree.
62. I got married that summer to the only girl I ever loved.
63. We were married at St. Mark’s in Marquette.
64. Her parents though we were rushing things but it lasted.
65. My best friend got married the same weekend ( I never forgave him).
66. Betty taught so I didn’t have to work my last year of seminary.
67. We bought a parrot. ( well I bought a parrot)
68. Our parrot screamed a lot when we weren’t there and the neighbor’s complained.
69. We had a beautiful one room apartment.
70. I met with the examining committee and passed. ( They thought I was too smart for a rural congregation-they didn’t know rural congregations)
71. I received a call to Trout Creek, Ewen, and Paynesville.
72. We moved our meager possessions with a U-haul and the parrot in the back seat.
73. The parsonage was an old house with a stream in the basement and squirrels in the laundry room.
74. We loved it ( We were young)
75. I quickly discovered I wasn’t super pastor. ( I was just barely adequate pastor)

#### News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal. Last night, again, the dragon just flew once up and down the main street. It looked tired and its wings seemed droopy. This time people had lower expectations so it didn’t ruin the dragon party. The drinking and the partying went right on.
Somebody, who reads to many dragon stories, suggested that during the day the dragon was taking on human form and having an affair with somebody in Pigeon Falls.
By the time that rumor made the rounds it ceased to be somebody and became Mrs. Petrovich. It was even rumored that she had an ultra sound and it showed two dragon like babies. Only in Pigeon Falls could such a rumor be listened to. But Anna swore to Nancy that her cousin works in the hospital in Iron Mountain and heard it from a nurse who had a friend who was there when the ultra sound was made. She is going to have dragons . At least that what she thinks she saw.
The only problem with all of this is that Mrs. Petrovich hasn’t had an ultra sound and may not even be pregnant. But somewhere out there is a lady who is going to give birth to twin dragons , if Anna’s friend can be believed. Let’s hope fire breathing doesn’t start until after birth or that lady is really going to have a bad case of heartburn .
******

Today's Link-63 Mago-Some thoughts about academic degrees.
It seemed like an ordinary day. My oxygen was up a bit. I visited all my links. I took a nap. Betty cleaned and made some calls concerning going to her class reunion this summer. I took a nap. I was working on my link list when the phone rang. It was a voice I hadn't expected to hear. The Joyce I bloged about the other day called to thank me but I never expected her to see the blog. She's not on the internet. I thought that nobody was reading my blog in Crystal any more. At least that's what my stat counter said. But it was wrong.My former secretary Karen read it. She printed it out and gave it to Joyce. Who was so happy she called me. It was so good to hear her voice that it made the whole day special. Thanks Karen. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
My tulips almost ready to come out.

16 Comments:

Blogger Family Man said...

Stumbled across your blog. I will be back! I added a link from my blog to here. Thanks!
~Ian

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The day the squirrels went berserk...in Dr. John's parsonage.

8:51 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

The more I read about you, the more I wish I'd had the opportunity to be in one of your congregations. You're a gem!

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bad case of heartburn .... laughing too hard to type.

9:38 AM  
Blogger dlyn said...

I found your blog from a comment on Country Girls - I will be back to check it out more - great blog!

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A parrot in the back seat. Did the back seat driver talk?

1:48 PM  
Blogger mrsnesbitt said...

I love quotes, one day I may say something somebody remembers! LOL!

2:35 PM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Petrovich siring dragon babies. Somehow I would not be too surprised.

3:59 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

I am really enjoying learning all these things about you. What became of the parrot?

4:10 PM  
Blogger jane said...

Dr. John,

I am so enjoying your blog! I am excited to see more 100 things! I have come from Lori, Ian and Joe's blog from St. Mark's. I think that you stories from your basement will be fun for my 8 year old daughter to read!

Jane Hartley
St Mark's enthusiast and member

5:35 PM  
Blogger BBC said...

"Do you think since it was aimed at earth it is the real cause of global warming?"

Dr. John you are a fool, global warming is the result of too many monkeys doing too many stupid things.

And no god is going to show up to save your grandkids. They will have to save themselves or die.

And they will look back and see that you was a fool that never did wise up.

If your god was real there wouldn't be wars and people dying of starvation under trees. There wouldn't have been the lady that had to eat her first born in order to keep living while you lived well and played with your trains.

Your last thoughts will be of me, I'm waiting, I have all the patience of the cosmos, time means nothing to me.

You will be mine to do with as I please. :-)

7:16 PM  
Blogger BBC said...

You were told to care for this planet. You abused it, I'm waiting. Don't assume that god is forgiving just because it says so in your bible.

Out there I am the judge. And I'm waiting for you to show up.

7:22 PM  
Blogger BBC said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:30 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Dr. John, that is a beautiful picture of you and Betty. I love it!!! What a gorgeous couple you are.

And by the way, just ignore the boobs and their remarks. We won't mention any names, but just follow my eyes. ▲

Some people have so little class, they don't even know they don't have any class.

9:16 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

That didn't work out right. I didn't mean for the arrow to point at me, I meant it to point at the boob above me. You're a very nice man, and you do not deserve to be spoken to that way on your blog.

9:23 PM  
Blogger Cedar said...

BBC, really, what does God have to do with the fact that there are wars and people do really ignorant and stupid things. It's free will baby, we can do anything we please. The problem is what we isn't always good for the planet or each other.

You really don't have any real concept of Spirit Billie, you just have the concept of pushing other people's buttons and then you ...well you know. Just wipe up really well after yourself; to do so is good for the planet.

This really is all about John not letting you touch his Choo Choo isn't it? Well he is just not that kind of guy.

9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home