Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Instant Sawdiust

Saying for the Day: It is a medium of entertainment which permits millions of people to listen to the same joke at the same time, and yet remain lonesome. ~T.S. Eliot, about radio

The other night I was watching NCIS , a program I happen to like, and they were looking for a computer piece that would break a code at the Pentagon. After much searching of the suspect’s house Gibbs found it in a cereal box. Then he said, “ I didn’t know they still put decoder rings in these things”. This got him all kinds of blank stares and he said “ That was before your time”.
But it wasn’t before my time. It reminded me of the unholy alliance between my hero Tom Mix and the evil Instant Ralston cereal. In all of history there has not been a cereal that tasted more like sawdust than instant Ralston. But in order for me to get my top secret decoder ring so that I could decode the secret message that Tom had for me on the Tom Mix radio program I had to eat Instant Ralston. My mother insisted that we couldn’t afford to buy cereal just to throw it away. She didn’t understand how important that decoder ring was or she’d have gotten the cereal just because she loved me. So to get my decoder ring I ate sawdust or its equivalent for three days. Three mornings of sheer torture. Three days of pain an anguish. Then my mother took pity and let me feed the rest of the box to the chickens.
You know they really loved Instant Ralston.
That would have been the end of it but those evil people packed the genuine glow in the dark compass and decoder shaped like an arrowhead in the new boxes. Of course I had to have that. What follower of Tom Mix , who never missed a program, could do without the glow in the dark compass?
So I promised to eat the sawdust without making faces or complaining. My mother caved and got me another box. I had my compass and it did glow in the dark.
Life was wonderful except for breakfast.
Now all I had to do was to convince my mother that the chickens really loved Instant Ralston and we should be good to them.
She was not convinced.
Oh well! Any real follower of the great Tom Mix should be willing to eat sawdust for an official glow in the dark compass.
The chickens didn’t need a compass.
Lucky for me TV came along and Tom Mix wasn’t on the radio any more.
I didn’t eat instant Ralston again until I was in the hospital. They brought me this cereal that tasted like sawdust and I knew what it was. The nurse said “eat it it’s good for you.”
I said “ Does the hospital have any chickens?”

#### News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal. The local dragon was in rare form last night. It did an entire show of acrobatic flying. It flew backwards and upside down. The crowd applauded and applauded. It was one great dragon party.
Joseph Becan is still telling is leathery egg story to anybody who will listen over at the Fly Inn Bar. Somewhere on Mt. Hillary there is a cave with two big leathery eggs according to him. But most figure Joe had a bit too much to drink up on the mountain. That’s why he was lost. The rest is his imagination working overtime. You’ll never convince Joe of that though.
Mrs. Petrovich stopped in to Nancy’s for a cup of coffee and a saffron bun. Nancy asked her how she was feeling and she said fine. She sure doesn’t look pregnant. She is helping her husband set up the Alexis Grengicoff room at the museum . Petrovich feels that if the great seer Grengicoff had been French instead of Russian he would have a larger following than Nostradamus, The Coptic stands in the way.
Pastor Joan has found a craftsman who is making little models of the former churches for her to put in the Church room. There the religious history of Pigeon Falls will be on display.
******

Today's Link-Little -o- This blog comes recomended by Worldman
I started the day by doing something I didn't want to do. I deleted a comment. I don't believe in deleting comments because I want people to be free to exprsess themselves. But there are to things I won't allow . One is foul language and one is explicit sexual language. My grandechildren including the six year old read this blog. I know I can't protect them from everything but I can protect them on my blog. I asked BBC before not to use that kind of language. He is free to insult me all he wants I have broad shoulders. He also can't find words that I haven't heard . I worked on the ore boats. I gave him my e-mail address and told him write anything he wants. But he insisted on writing here and so I had to delete it. He was also disrespectful to Betty and I won't allow that. He can insult me all he wants but my wife is off limits.I feel bad but he thinks he's God and can do what he wants. I visited the blogs of everybody that visited my blog in the previous four days and left a comment. It was slightly different than my link list. Betty and I packed up two more sets of track for eBay. I then put five new sets out on eBay to sell this week. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
From the archives-Too many pastors at United.

9 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

I bet Tommy UK is organizing an expedition with the Tommy Club right now to go spelunking.

5:36 AM  
Blogger BBC said...

I left a sexual comment? Well, I guess the kids will have to look for them somewhere else, John.

If you think you can keep things hid from kids these days you are a fool. Just delete the comment if it isn't to your liking.

The kids will find them other places, it's been like that forever and you're not going to keep them innocent no matter what you do.

All that is in real life as well as the web and many of them are raised that way.

And I see that a church service was just performed in a bar. Shoot, I've been going to beer church for some time, I just don't do any biblical preaching there.

6:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to do the same thing with Sugar Crisp. I hate sweet cereals and always have (except Frosted Flakes for some weird reason), but I begged for them -- and choked down every bite -- because they used to have 33 rpm records of my favorite singers right on the back of the box!

9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I vaguely remember a cereal my grandma used to buy for me... I kid you not - the name was Krispy Kritters. It was supposed to be circus animals...and I remember getting several "old fashioned" toys out of it. Now if you want the toy pictured on the box you need to send in 5 proofs of purchase and $6 for shipping and handling.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

And what great messages did you decode? All I can think of is Ralphie in "A Christmas Story" getting his Little Orphan Annie decoder and finding out the messages were Ovaltine commercials.

9:20 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I had it made as a kid. As an only child I did not have to fight over the prize.

9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I honestly think my brother and I had scenes that could rival WWII over the prize in the box. Brutal I tell you.

11:51 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

BTW, I think you were suppose to cook the Ralston cereal. Not eat it straight from the box. :-)

12:04 PM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

i guess in some things i may never change and for that i may always feel the hurt others intended. how sad is our world that we must have broad shoulders. i don't have them and i pay for it, you have them yet you and yours still suffer for them-i'm sorry. how dare anyone insult Betty or write innapropiate comments on the basis that children cannot be completely protected/sheltered: in my opinion and that is what it is, it is another allowance that we humans give ourselves to make things just a bit easier. 'if one person can't change the world than why bother trying' is so much the give up attitude, hasn't everyone heard of a man named Jesus Christ? and yes, He was and is God and we are but humans BUT we are in His Image and we could at least strive to do better instead of allowing mediocre behaviour.

i wish you wouldn't have given him your email. i wish he leave you alone as i have said before but there is something about you that he can't stand, your fervor, your faith, your friends, their loyalty and in his loneliness and in through his hatred and anger he doesn't realize how the devil uses him for his evil.

nothing i have ever gone through, not even what J did, has completely taken my belief that we all can achieve much more than we have put forward. words are too many too often and not often enough plenty. actions are too much self centered and much more for our own humanity and yet God is still with us, day after day, waiting.

i'm no better than the another but i humbly pray as many have always and still do that i may be able to wake up and fall asleep each day with gratefulness for life and breath and my 5 great gifts my kids are and the opportunity of having a mother and all the millions of gifts granted to me daily.

often i have felt the unfairness of things and something i'm yet to learn but am hoping i have started is that nothing is owed to any of us and that we are not completely at the mercy of fate, we do have a say in our path.

from this rose coloured glasses girl to your beautiful wife my heart and admiration for whom she has choosen to be. to you my dear friend my love and my forever gratefulness for your prayers, time and for caring for us here. to your grandchildren, my joy in knowing what beautiful lifes they lead for they have you guys with them.

God Bless, xo.

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home