Tuesday, March 04, 2008

The Mov Battle

Saying for the day: At any given time whatever it is you need you won't have. One of Murphy's laws

I have a new computer and a new camera. My new camera makes little movies. So last Sunday I took a movie of the Church Choir. I was going to put it on the Church web page.
My new computer reads memory cards so I can quickly download from my camera to the computer. So I downloaded my new movie.

Then I went to play it. That was problem number one. The computer said it didn’t recognize *.mov and couldn’t play it. Well my old computer could. My old computer didn’t even have Vista and it could play *mov movies.

So I had to go out to the web and find a program to play them. That took a little while because I also wanted it to be free.

Finally I found a form of Quicktime that could do the job.

So now I could play the movie. But now I needed to upload it to U-tube. Of course I couldn’t remember my password which I didn’t need on the old computer as it was locked in. So I told my computer I forgot the password. U-tube was going to send me an e-mail so I could reset the password. The only problem is that the e-mail address I used when I set up the u-tube account is not the e-mail address I have now. So that didn’t work. So I went back to the old computer and tried to change the address. The only problem is that the last step in the change was to enter your password. If I new the password I wouldn’t need to change the address. So I was back to square one.

There are only about six basic passwords I use with some variations. So I began typing them in one by one. On the sixth try I hit. Now I know my password. So I go to upload the file only to discover it exceeds u-tubes size limits. But that’s ok because I have a program to edit movies. I go to load the movie in and discover it doesn’t work with *.movs . I need to convert the mov to a wmf or an avi or even an. Mpeg. I , of course don’t have a program for that.

And that’s where it stands at the moment. But it isn’t over yet. I will fight on. The computer and the camera can not win. I will keep you informed.

####News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal. Well Petrovich finally posted his driblet. It looks like it could apply to the snowmobile weekend.

Driblet 132

I dreamed again that I was in the city of the birds.

Strange things moved across the snow.

At first I thought they were animals but then people got out of them. But then as I watched I saw they were riding on them and not in them. They seemed to race them over the snow. Never have I seen such races.

Then people were crying. He is dead. He is dead.

Who is dead? I ask.

He is dead. They say again.

It is so hot.

I am sweating.

There is a man with no clothes. He falls. He bleads.

It is so hot.

People try to get to him but can not.

They break the door and then more screaming. He is dead! He is dead!

A tall formal looking man comes and seems to be in control.

It is so hot.
My head hurts. I awaken.

Eino says to ignore it. Driblets can’t tell the future.

The poor Ghost Hunters have all this equipment and no ghosts and no poltergeist. Nancy came back on the train last night. They hope that with her back in the shop the poltergeist will show up. Only time will tell.

******

Today's link-My Utopia- Some thoughts about Grandma.
It was a good day. Oxygen in low normal. I spent the morning fighting with the mov file. After luch we went grocery shopping. It was good to hget out of the house. The rest of the afternoon I spent reading. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

10 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

I am surprised that Tommy UK isnt making sure the Ghost hunters meet up with some "ghosts".

6:43 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I feel your computer distress. It has been 5 days since mine crashed and I am still fighting to get it reset the way I had it. I finally got my photo printer to install this morning after at least a dozen attempts. I blame the ghosts.

7:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"TO ERR IS HUMAN; TO REALLY SCREW UP, YOU NEED A COMPUTER"

I don't know why it didn't occur to me before a computer crashed that data stored on it would no longer be available ... like passwords. YOU NEED A HARD COPY!
Most log-in places will have a way for them to either re-set or e-mail you the password IF YOU HAVE THE LOGIN NAME/E-MAIL ADDRESS. (Try "help")
LOIS

7:27 AM  
Blogger Lone Grey Squirrel said...

It looks like the computer and camera have won the first battle and are sniggering behind your back but worry not! I have full confidence that you will win the war.

8:39 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

There are some free programs on the web that you can download. Just google what you want to do say like "Convert Mov files to Avi files", something like that.

Be aware that some of the things you find are free to use for 30 days then they quit as they were a trial offer.

Hope you are able to convert your movies.

A Blessed Day is wished for you and Betty.

9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget godtube.com also. I run Vista on my lap top and I am ready to roll it back to XP.

5:10 PM  
Blogger Voegtli said...

Your "fight" with technology made me smile. Because it reminds me of all the struggling I went through with similar issues. But since I have my new laptop (well, it is now 2 years already), of course and happily without Vista, I have kept it simple. The only high tech thing I added is mobileDSL so that I can connect from anywhere. And that is fine. Because so far I have not succeeded setting up WLAN.

6:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. John don't try to convert your .mov files. Just sign up for a google video account and use them the way they are -- just like youtube.

(I had the same problem when I went Vista and bought my new camera.)

7:09 PM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

I had to get a new computer last July when the old one quit. I'm running XP because that's what I am familiar with and also Vista would not run some of my software.
I sure hope you get your figured out soon. I know how frustrating it can be.

8:19 PM  
Blogger Jacob Kehler said...

Oh, yes. I am sending both my condolences and my congratulations in regard to successful recovery of your password. I know how important it is to get in it time. However, I found out that most of the problems that our workers experience are connected with passwords. Fortunately we track our helpdesk work with a small database here - its not so reliable so we are about to update it with the automatic issue tracking system but the current system does allow us to check what people usually ask our help desk guys. It turned our that most frequently asked problem was for help resetting passwords! The last incident with our CEO who forgot his password for his presentation laptop made for a good story around here… It created some problems on our side and made our boss seriously worry about the success of his presentation. We solved his problem that time buy providing him with administrative access to his computer. But that put our security under the risk since we had to read him the password as-is through unsecured connection since it was the only ability for us to allow him to access his data. After that our boss said we have to eliminate such problems once and forever. And gave us 24 hours… It may seem like a funny joke now but it wasn't at the time. In a rush I called my friend who worked for a security audit company and descried him the situation. He found a solution for us. That was Desktop Authority password reset tool from Scriptlogic

He told a password reset self-service would do the trick. I thought it would take us more than a week to deploy that but he said the tool his was recommending could be deployed in a several minutes for every user. Honestly, he was quite right. I mostly was thrilled about how fast the group policy engine. Since my friend was from security company the tool he recommended was a highly trusted software since security is their business. Indeed the tool supported AES encryption using a very long 256-bit key and allows for applying an uncompromised hashing algorithm to the database where it stores security information. In a short time we were able to deploy a special password policy for our CEO allowing him to reset his password by answering several challenge questions. Since we’ve created a separate security policy for him we eliminated the possibility that the other user swill be able to guess answers on challenge questions. When we showed him how the tool works so that his was able to reset his password via a secured SSL-link from right his limo he we got an approval from him to purchase the tool and deploy it for the whole domain. So you are not alone with your problems. The great thing is that even such problems can be easily solved if you know what to do.

4:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home