Tuesday, February 26, 2008

A Technelogical Marvel

Saying for the Day: Technological progress has merely provided us with more efficient means for going backwards. ~Aldous Huxley

On Sunday because my son Peter was here to do the lifting and the installing I bought a new computer. It has eight times more ram memory than my old one and it runs Vista.
It did not have a wireless card. So I bought a device that plugs into a USB port and gives it that capacity.
When we opened the box and went to load the driver from the included CD we found a warning.
“ Do not use this driver with Vista”
Ok!
What do we do.
Well we are supposed to go to a website which they list and download a new driver.
That’s good. They have a new driver for me.
There is only one little problem-
I need the device to get to the internet.
I can’t use the device without the driver,.
I can’t get the driver if I can’t get to the internet.
What idiot thought this up.
They knew their disk wouldn’t work with Vista. Why not just include another disk?
So we went to Betty’s computer and downloaded the driver.
It was a very small program.
It could easily be e-mailed except without the internet I don’t have any e-mail.
I suggest we cut a CD and carry it over that way.
My son pulls out his pocket knife. I suggest that suicide is not an answer.
But on his pocket knife is a flash drive.
He plugs it into Betty’s USB port and loads the driver on it.
He plugs it into the USB port on the front of my new computer.
The driver is where it’s supposed to be.
We run it.
We are on the internet.
Isn’t technology wonderful.

####News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal. Petrovich is still waiting for an e-mail from Russia. His Russian Monk friends are not the fastest people in the world.
Bonnie McGregor went to Iron Mountain for her ultrasound yesterday. Old Doc Simpson was right she is going to have twins. Poor Bonnie is going to have two kids instead of one. By the time they finish high school she will be seventy two years old, more like a grandmother than a mother. On top of all her fears she is feeling sick. Her husband says that she will survive. They raised three kids and they can raise two more. That’s easy for him to say. He didn’t do much in the raising of the other three.
The people from the Ghost Hunter’s TV show arrived yesterdaywith all kinds of fancy equipment. They are staying at the Fly Inn. Tommy UK visited with them last night and told them all about the local stories concerning the Latimer place.
It seems Mr. Latimer when he was dying swore he would never leave his house and that nobody else could have it. Mrs. Latimer swore she would never leave him. So they haunt the place and drive out anyone who dares to live in their house.
******

Today's Link-Mountain Mama- A bit about pets.
This was a very good day. My oxygen was up into the mid normal. I didn't use the little tanks at all. I visited all my links. I updated the Church web site and began moving it over to Microsoft Publisher 2000 and out of Microsoft Publisher 98. I began reading Donaldson's latest book " The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. I played a computer game. I began transferring program from the old computer to the new. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

10 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

Ah. A ghost love story.

5:47 AM  
Blogger Lone Grey Squirrel said...

What a funny story about computers and program compatibility. Well told.

6:17 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

And just think in a few months Vista will have a bunch of patches you will need. Then again, now I am thinking of buying a flash drive.

6:40 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

Dr. J, they were talking about your town on a Pittsburgh radio station this morning. They were telling about an 18 yr old boy who built a snow fort in his parents front yard....and it is something like 500 sq.ft. and 20 people can go inside. Wow!

7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. John -- do you not remember all the trouble I had with my Vista system this summer? Your story sounds very familiar!

8:56 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Computers, you got to love em or hate em. When I got my first computer (which is the one I still use) it came with Window's ME. It would crash at a moments notice. After adding more RAM, new Hard Drives, New Sound and Video Card and DVD Burner and upgrade to Windows 2000 Pro it isn't too bad of a computer.

When My Ship comes in (did I tell you my ship is the Lusitania) I am going to get that new computer. I am afeared that this computer which is about 7 years old, something big is going to happen. Horrible thought.

A Blessed Day is wished for you and Betty.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

Hello and thanks for visiting and leaving a comment on my blog.
Your Vista experience sounds perfectly frustrating. I had to buy a new computer last July but not with Vista since much of my software is not compatable with it and I didn't want to have to buy all new.
I have read this entire page of your blog and enjoyed it, so, I'll be back.

12:45 PM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

Oops! I forgot to thank you for putting my link on your post.
Thank you!

12:48 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Technology scares the dickens out of me for that very reason. It's becoming too complicated. Can you just see all the frustrated people out there who can't access the new driver? Someone had Microsoft definitely had a brain f*rt.

I like you daily snippet, by the way. The one you have today is very applicable to a certain blogger who feels "exalted". Very applicable.

1:52 PM  
Blogger Voegtli said...

It looks as if your son might have a Victorinox Swissbit knife with an USB?

7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home