Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Microsoft Plunges Ahead

Saying for the day- After growing wildly for years, the field of computing appears to be reaching its infancy. ~John Pierce

My new computer is now in use and for the most part I am very happy with it.
I am not so happy with Microsoft.
I have been doing my web sites in Microsoft Publisher 98. It worked so very well and was so easy to use. I could see just how it would look when I put it on the web.
But Vista doesn’t support Microsoft Publisher 98. That means I have to learn a whole new system and convert all my files.
Now I own Microsoft Publisher 2000. I never liked it. It does it’s web site creation in a different way. It has less features than Publisher 98. But Vista supports Publisher 2000 so I guess I will be learning a new system.
Microsoft seems to throw away the best of the old as they rush to the new.
I am sure there is a newer Publisher than 2000 but with any luck 2000 will last as long as Vista.

####News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal. The Ghost Hunters stopped for coffee at Nancy’s and are now more interested in the poltergeist than the Latimer place. The poltergeist took an instant dislike to them and poured hot coffee in their laps. It has never done that before. Then it picked up the head of the team and threw him out the door. He landed in a snowbank so now he was covered with both snow and coffee. I am sure that if you could sue a poltergeist there would have been a law suit.
But the team was not upset by their treatment. No they were excited. This was far better than ghosts which may or may not choose to appear.
They went back to the Fly Inn and got their equipment and then went to Nancy’s to study the poltergeist. Their only problem was that the poltergeist didn’t want to be studied. Suddenly all of their equipment seemed to have a life of its own. Cables moved down the street and then up into the air. The television camera ended up at the top of a light pole but only after taking a close up view of somebody’s tonsils . The special sound recording equipment went off in another direction. Then all four men found themselves floating upside down to the edge of town where they were dumped in the biggest snow drift available.
Now they were soaking wet, cold, and had no usable equipment. One even swears he could hear the poltergeist laughing. You do not want Nancy’s poltergeist upset with you.
******

Today's Link-Diaporesis- A well written story on thinking.
A very good day. The oxygen level was up again so I didn't need the little tanks. I visited all the links. We got the e-bay stuff ready to go. Betty took them to the Post Office. Bishop Tom called to see how I was doing. That was really nice of him. I finished changing the Church web site over to Publisher 2000.I watched three chapters of the Phantom serial. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

6 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

Doesnt the poltergeist realize that now it has only encouraged more investigation? The investigators are like a stray cat. If you feed it, it will come.

5:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What JAn said. That poltergeist is going to be busy for quite sometime.

8:39 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

"There here..."

Microsoft just wants you to keep buying. They don't care if their product is any good.

10:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Maybe the poltergeist wasn't ready for his closeup!

Microsoft sometimes drives me nuts. Ever notice how many times they have a patch to fix a patch to fix a patch that was supposed to fix something?

10:34 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Dr. John- I hope that when I get around to buying a new computer the guy who has some left with XP on them still has some. Becky has Vista on her laptop and she had to buy more memory and is now looking at an external hard drive as well.
Is the link you are using to get to my blog
Kaleidoscope
http://cyncerely.net

10:51 AM  
Blogger Voegtli said...

Without wanting to be "sniggery": I use simply blogger to do my blog. And it works good.

PS. Thank you for your comment on Kosovo. Today I am very proud to be Swiss: We did yesterday also recognise Kosovo. It took 10 days, but that is not because we were hesitating, it is because they way our government system works. And this gives just now the idea for a post :-)

7:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home