Thursday, February 28, 2008

Restoration?

Saying for the day-One man's dream is another man's nightmare.

It is time for another fairy tale or elf tale as it were.
Once upon a time, just before the time when elfin magic got all tangled up in American politics, there was an old couple who got a wish from an elf named Larkin Fife. Like all elf wishes it had horrible consequences and they found themselves living in the back of their van on the wrong side of town, the side of town where people live whose wishes or dreams have failed them . On a very cold day the old man decided they had lived that way long enough. So they moved to the front of the van and drove to Madison. There they went to live with their son Oscar.
The son was happy to have his mother and father come and stay. He was divorced and a very bad housekeeper and his mother soon put the house in order. There was more than enough room except on week ends when Oscars children, who lived with an ex-wife came and stayed with him. Even then it was only slightly crowded.
The old man, who had been a lawyer, before he retired went every day to the big law library at the University. There he visited a little alcove that not even the librarian knew existed. It contained all the books the University had collected on Elfen law. It contained every case where a human had sued an elf because of a wish gone bad. There were one hundred and fifty two cases. The cases that interested our old man were the one’s that humans won. There were fifty one of those. and the entire transcript of every case as presented in Elf Court was included. Only one case was of real value to o our old man. In all the others the winners had received one or two new wishes but there was no way that our old man wanted anything to do with another wish. No ! He wanted Restoration. Everything had to be put back as it was before the wish as if the wish never happened. Elves hate to do Restoration. It’s like admitting there is some flaw in their magic. They would rather give you three new wishes.
One could of course take the new wish and wish everything back the way it was. But this is not the same as Restoration. Indeed the new wish carries the same risk as any wish and comes from different magic than Restoration. So our old man had his heart set on nothing less than Restoration.
The old man discovered that the basic elf law was:
“No wish can be given without a genuine act of kindness on the part of the recipient.”
This meant that no elf could legally entice a human into an act and then give them a wish.
Further he discovered that in an elf court of law it is impossible to lie. The court is covered with a very powerful truth spell.
So after much thought and preparation the old man brought suit in Elf Court Seven in the Jurisdiction of Madison. He couldn’t sue in any human court because human courts don’t recognize the existence of elves. Thus you can not sue what doesn’t exist. Aside from that people lie in human court and our old man needed the truth. He charged that he had been the victim of elfen entrapment.
The following is taken from the actual transcript of that trial:
Old Man(OM)-Is your real name Larken Fife
Elf– No
OM– Were you drunk when you met us.
Elf-No
OM-Were you pretending to be drunk when you met us?
Elf-Yes
OM-Do u have a wife that is missing>
Elf– No
OM-So this was all a ruse an act.
Elf-Yes.
OM– Why?
Elf– I needed to give out three more wishes to meet my quota.
OM– So the court can see that there was nothing here that was real. It was all done to get me to make a wish. And that is a clear case of elfen entrapment. Further it is such an obvious and grievous case that only Restoration can correct it.
Head Judge– We agree that an elfen crime was committed and stand ready to grant you three new wishes. Because of the nature of the crime we will give you more wishes than we have ever given.
OM– No. Wishes are the main reason for the deception and the entrapment and therefore as a rule of law can not be a solution to the problem. Only Restoration can make right the wrong.
In the morning our old man and his wife found themselves back in their old home. Everything was as it had been. The new HD television was gone. The old furniture was back. They decided that it had all been a dream since there are no such things as elves.


####News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal. Pastor Joan did her next sermon in the series on biblical woman last night. She played Martha who was a friend of Jesus. This is the story she told:
My name is Martha.
I live with my sister Mary who is not the most industrious person in the world. In fact she is something if a dreamer.
One day our friend Jesus was coming for lunch. I knew the house had to be cleaned and meals prepared but Mary she didn’t do much.
Then Jesus came. I welcomed him and went back to getting the meal ready and finishing the house cleaning.
Jesus gathered a crowd in front of the house and began to teach. Mary went and sat at his feet.
Here I was working my butt off and Mary she just sat there. Well I put up with that as long as I could. Then I went to Jesus.
I figured he could talk some sense into her. I said "Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to do all the work by myself? Tell her then to help me."
Now she would have to help and Jesus would see what kind of person she was.
But the Lord answered me, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things; there is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part, which will not be taken away from her"
What a strange answer. What had Mary chosen? What had Mary seen? What had I missed ?
You know in this fast paced world in which you live you might have missed it too.
The one important thin I came to learn was Jesus Himself.
I needed to put aside the distractions and choose Him.
You do too .
And that’s the way she ended the sermon. It sure gave people something to think about.
The Ghost Hunters have left Pigeon Falls. They have promised to come back with new equipment . Nancy’s poltergeist has them all excited. You would think they would take the hint that they aren’t wanted and not come back. But that doesn’t seem to be the case. They will be back.
********

Today's Link- A Thousand Faces of Mother Henna- Some thoughts on meditation. That's meditation not medication.
It was a good but dull day. I did some reading. I visited all my links. I left comments where I could. I forgot my AOL password so I can't leave a comment on Lois's blog even though I read it.
I watched some more chapters of the Phantom serial. I converted some more programs from Publisher 98 to Publisher 2000. I played a computer game. Breathing was good. Oxygen levels were up. Just a dull day. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GNYA

6 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

I would have thought that the Ghost Hunters would have sent for new equipment, so they wouldnt miss anything, instead of going to get it.

I think that Martha still thought of Jesus as their potential earthly king and did not recognize Him as the spiritual one.

5:37 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

So much to consider today.

6:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Ghost Hunters want more of their equipment busted up? How strange.

7:42 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

That was always one of our pastor's favorite sermons, too.

7:55 AM  
Blogger Voegtli said...

We all simply enjoy reading your posts. But for me, I also consider your blog as a "headline"-blog. Because of your "Saying of the day". I enjoy them very much. I think about them and I smile often about them. And sometimes actually, they are a good guidance for the day.

7:10 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Our pastor preached an excellent message on Mary and Martha not too long ago.
Glad you sorted out how to get to my blog without having to go all the way around Robin Hood's red barn.

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home