Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Saturday at the Movies

Saying for the day-In the end, "Captain America" is a fun, low-budget, patriotic, feel-good action flick which works in a Saturday Matinee sort of way.

As I was writing yesterday’s blog I remembered something else from my childhood that kids today don’t have.
We had Saturday afternoon at the movies.
It was a special time just for kids.
Admission was $.10 , one dime.
There were two movies usually with cowboys, a cartoon, a newsreel , and most important of all the serial.
It was the serial that kept you coming back week after week to see if our hero somehow escaped. Over the years I saw “ The Whip”, “The Green Hornet”, “ Captain Marvel”, “The Ghost who Walks”, “Superman” and others I can’t remember. They were blown up, shot, drugged, crushed, poisoned, and yet they always survived. I even put up with musicals ( I hated musicals) to get to that serial.
It all started when I was six years old and my Aunt Ida would walk me from the family Drug Store to the theater. She bought the ticket and got me some popcorn and the adventure began.
I was no longer little Johney Linna I was a cowboy or a detective. I saved the girl but I never, never kissed her. I saw Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, the Cisco Kid and other cowboys whose names I don’t remember.
When it ended Ida was waiting at the door to walk with me back to the Drug Store. Soon I convinced them I could handle my own dime and buy my own popcorn and they left me go alone ( though I am sure for a few weeks somebody followed a block or so behind).
Now kids have television but it isn’t the same.
My cowboys shot the gun out of people’s hands. They never killed anybody. They always stayed away from drinking . They set a good example for the kids. Sure it wasn’t real but we grew up wanting to be good like them.
Those days are gone forever. But I did buy videotapes of some of the great serials and from time to time I play them and go back to those good old days.

####News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal. Charlie and Fred are still in jail. Their wives decided not to make bail. Maybe if they sit there for awhile they will decide the fighting isn’t worth it and work things out. In any case they are being charged with “Destruction of Property” and “ Causing a riot” .
Petrovich is back from Green Bay and looking for the driblet that may have something to say about Bonnie McGregor and her yet unborn child or children. He seems very excited by the possibility. Little by little he is showing the world that his hero the Seer Alexis Grengicoff could see the future.
Pigeon Falls still waits with dread for the driblet 187 to begin to come true. This is the one that Petrovich said would happen this year. It has terror coming from the sky. It has screaming and people running around. So far there is no sign that it is or will take place but it is only February.
Now that everything is back to normal the Methodist ladies are planning another big pasty sale. The Church needs to be repainted and they are going to raise some money for the paint. Then the men can do the painting.
******

Today's Link-Great Old Movies- A review of the book "Great Movie Serials"
Not a great day. My oxygen was down. Not as bad as the other day but down. I fgeel like I'm coming down with something. I hope it isn't what's going around. I did get the website for the Church updated. I visited some links. I napped.
Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

12 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

You mean Driblet 187 is not over?

5:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I remember those good old days when a kid could walk to the movie theater and spend the 10 cents. The last time I went to a movie I took my granddaughter to a "Spy Kids" movie and then we went for a milk shake later. A lot more than money!

6:42 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

I rember "those days", though they ended while I was in jr. high. There was nothing like a Saturday afternoon spent in the balcony watching really bad horror movies. Guess that's why I feel so cheated when I go to the movies now.

8:03 AM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Captain Who?

12:43 PM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

You mean there was someone even cooler than Batman?

I mean, cooler than the Budweiser Man from the Simpsons?

12:45 PM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Can he walk on water
or turn my water into wine

that's what I reall yanna know

12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was a kid...the dollar movies actually just cost a dollar.

1:00 PM  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

Life just was so much simpler back then. Too many things to do leaves our kids laying on the couch watching the tube. You always make it sound so fun back then.

4:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Movies were 50 cents when I was a kid. I still didn't get to go often. We only had one theater in town and it seldom had kid's shows.

6:37 PM  
Blogger BBC said...

I am not patriotic to America, I am a member of the human race and I don't think America and Americans are special.

In fact America was taken over by terrorists. Is still a terrorist, and will fail for that reason, and deserves to.

I'm good with that, America is just too greedy and needy, not like Jesus was at all.

America is just the Roman Empire reborn, the same Empire Jesus rebelled against.

Never mind, I don't expect you to understand, besides, you will be dead soon and nothing more than dust in the ruts of time in history.

I'll manage just fine without you.

7:04 PM  
Blogger Voegtli said...

Did I smile! When I was six or seven, my mother would put me on train, told the conductor where I had to get down. And there was my Grandmother waiting for me. We always, always went to Stampli's Café and ate a huge ice cream. Then we went to the cinema matinée. Here we had first the news reel, then the cartoon, after a short documentary. And then the cowboys started to shoot around. And when the cinema finished we went to the toy shop.

And this was the proceedure for many years, every time I went to my grandmother. Which was every school vacation.

7:31 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

I hope you are not catching anything Dr John. Our hospitals are full here with people having the flu. Stay inside and keep warm.

I loved the movies when I was little...such a big adventure for a little kid!

11:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home