Saturday, February 02, 2008

Pity the Poor Worm

Saying for the Day: All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the worm.

If you have ever gone fishing with worms then you should read this:
Mr. Coll Bell, a New Zealander who invented a composting toilet supposedly superior to a septic system and who wanted permission from the Auckland Regional Council to install one at a campground, said an ARC bureaucrat had queried him on whether the worms he uses would be traumatized by the volume of work required in the annual two-week period of intensive campground use. Coll told Agence France-Presse in December that vermiculture expert Patricia Naidu had assured him that the worms would be "happy." [Agence France-Presse, 12-16-07]
Now that you know that worms can be traumatized ( government officials are never wrong) think of what you did to the poor things.
You dragged them from a comfortable home in the ground. Threw them in a can with a bunch of other worms, not even their friends. You pulled them from the can, stuck a hook in them and dangled them in front of a hungry fish. Now if that isn’t trauma what is?
Aren’t all you fishermen ashamed? Good job you don’t live in New Zealand.

News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is just a little strange. Charlie reaches his hand into the hole and before he can touch the box a voice says “Get your hand out of there retard”
At which point Charlie pulled his hand back and everybody turned to face the voice. It was some kind of military man hanging on a ladder from a helicopter. Once he was on the ground he announced that he was taking charge of the tree by order of Homeland Security. Nobody was to be permitted to come near it. At that point three more gun carrying soldiers dropped from the helicopter and took up positions in front of the tree.
It seems Homeland Security had read Petrovich’s website and were convinced it was a terrorist plot. The so called driblet was a plant. When the box opened the town and everything around it would be destroyed. Homeland Security could not allow that to happen .
Eino said “ I suppose dropping an Atomic bomb on us wouldn’t have destroyed the city?”
“We were almost fooled into doing that but then we realized that this is what the enemy wanted all along. That’s when we figured out what the box was.”
Tommy UK ,confronting the General, “ Where do you get off calling somebody a retard?”
“Kid you mouth off to me again and I’ll give you the butt end of my rifle in the mouth. I call them the way I see them. Now get lost. All of you get lost.”
******

Today's Link-Snow White, 7 Dwarves and PDD- Today some great programs for parents or people.
It was a good day. Breathing was a bit on the rough side. I never know why. I got the church website up and fully functional ( all the buttons work). But the material is last months. Tomorrow I'll pick up the up to date stuff. I visited all my links. Played some video games and watched a little television. Tomorrow back to the layout which I have been neglecting. Now I need a breathing treatment. O! I almost forgot yesterday was my sons birthday. I detailed that birth HERE .
Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

8 Comments:

Blogger Nessa said...

Government officials are so thoughtful and caring.

5:24 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Interesting turn in the story. I would think that Petrovich could expect a visit soon.

6:24 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Dr John ~ I never looked at it from the worm's point all these years ago when I went trout fishing. And the sad thing is think about the trout that bites into the worm and is next dangling on a line out of water to be placed in a basket.

Those trout were tasty though when Mum cooked them up.

A Blessed weekend is wished for you and Betty.

9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a feeling the military isn't going to come out looking too good when Pigeon Falls finishes with them, again.

12:21 PM  
Blogger supermom_in_ny said...

My daughter was "traumatized" by the worm's plight. (She's a 14 yr. old vegan.)

Oh and thanks for the link! Have a great weekend...

1:26 PM  
Blogger Neoma said...

I don't think I have ever thought about the volume of work that a worm must endure. And I like worms too. Can't believe that I have been so callous. I always had a hard time fishing with worms......I always had a great fondness for them, I grew up with Grandma always whispering in my ear how beneficial they were to the soil. And then there was the Cartoon Earthworm Jim. That cinched it, got to take care of those worms.

6:48 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Dr. John, you're making that up, right??? Aren't you??? Traumatized worms? What is the world coming to...!

8:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Worms can be traumatized? That's news to me!! Oh well..one country did a study on how moose gas (yes, passing gas)affects the environment.

Yes, Dr. John I am tired. There are a lot of things making me tired this week.

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home