Tuesday, January 29, 2008

It's Okay Grandpa

Saying for the Day:It is not easy to be crafty and winsome at the same time, and few accomplish it after the age of six. ~John W. Gardner and Francesca Gardner Reese

Being a good grandfather when my grandson Luke ( my youngest grandson) was here for Maggie’s birthday I sat him down and told him a story. Being a good blogger I told him the elf tale about the really wicked witch that I am posting on Thursday. I would like to tell you he was thrilled and thought it was the greatest story ever. But he wasn’t and he didn’t.
But he did think it was good enough to tell me one of his stories in return. His was a story about an eight legged beast. It had four large legs and four small ones ( that kid has a great imagination). God created this beast and put it down at the North pole. It went from there to the house of two brothers.
At this point I told him I was afraid of eight legged beasts.
He looked at me and said, “ It’s okay grandpa its not real . It’s just my story.”
“ You mean like the witch in my story?” I said.
“ I know grandpa, witches aren’t real either.” Then he thought for a moment and said “ But elves are cause they work for Santa”.

News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is just a little strange. The tanks arrived late yesterday afternoon. They set up to direct their fire at the trees that were on the old road , figuring they had the poorest root structure. The tanks were ready to fire the most powerful explosive that the army had. It can knock down buildings. In fact the general in charge was afraid it might fire right through and injure somebody on the other side. But being a good general he ordered his tanks to fire anyway.
Wood chips flew in every direction but as fast as the chips hit the ground new trees sprang up . It was even worse than that because some of the chips fell under two of the tanks and tree branches grew into the tracks and into the canon. They could no longer fire without blowing themselves up and they couldn’t move.
At the end of round one it was trees two and the tanks zero.
So the general had his men cut some pieces out of the trees. They put these into sterile plastic bags to take back with them for testing. As long as they didn’t touch the ground they didn’t grow. The trees, however, filled in the piece cut out with new growth.
It was hoped they could find something that could destroy the tree. A bug, a disease, an acid or something. A few of the more cynical felt that the army was no longer just trying to save Pigeon Falls but saw the trees as a potential weapon if they could figure out how to control them.
It was also rumored that the Atomic card was back on the table. Better to blow up one little UP town than have this menace move into all the UP and then Wisconsin.
Poor Tommy UK was still trying to convince people that Charlie was the one who was pure of heart. If anybody in town fit the description it was Charlie. But nobody was listening to him. After all he was just a kid and the adults hadn’t come up with a solution or a name. What made Tommy UK think he could.
********

Today's Link-Lyon Valley Northern- If you like train pictures here they are.
A very good day today. It was warm ( above zero). I went to church and am now the web master fort St. Marks. Betty went to Bible study. We went grocery shopping. I spent the afternoon starting to lay out St. Mark's web page. Then I sent BBC an e-mail and asked him either not to comment or to clean up his language. I told him he can call me stupid or take cracks at my religion but drop the sex talk and the bad language or I'll have to block him. My grandkids read this blog. I have no idea how he will respond.
Well now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

10 Comments:

Blogger Louisiana said...

They were magical, my days as a child in the precense of my great grandparents, for many, many reasons. One of the most sweet memories were of story time. It seems back then, the family, all of them, all were story tellers and we the kids would just sit to listen in ah and ohhs and wows.

My great grandparents were filled with beautiful stories to share, long, short, religious, fictional..I loved cuddling in with them as they took me to other places...

You gave your grandson a lifetime gift. You give it to all of them, they are all most lucky and blessed.

Thank you for being such a great grandpa and to Betty, the fairy princess for being such a wonderful grandma.

xoxoxo

6:16 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

So why doesnt Tommy and Charlie sneak in in the middle of the night and open the box? Has Tommy not talked to Charlie? Tommy seems like the independent type. I would think he wouldnt wait for anyone's permission.

If the trees dont go away, look on the bright sign. They are a renewable energy source. I would think everyone in Pigeon Falls with a fireplace would be quite happy.

6:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He actually told you he didn't like your story? What's the end of his!

7:06 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

My Nana was the greatest! And I bet your grandkids feel that way about you. :)

I didn't think the tanks would work.

7:14 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

You escaped that sticky wicket.

8:09 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The stories a grandparent tell are more precious than gold. My father was a good story teller. At least I thought he was until years later I discovered he had based a lot of them on James Thurber's stories. They were still good tho.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Neoma said...

haha, I think I have a feeling where he inhereted his keen imagination.

So Maggie had her first birthday....did she get some cake and ice cream?

1:12 PM  
Blogger BBC said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is Charlie a dog? Send a dog trained to fetch.

8:19 PM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

I personally hope you block BBC for it makes me as i'm sure many more uncomfortable. IT IS NOT about whether he has the same beliefs or not or whether he finds you the genius that you really are BUT that he has no clue the meaning of the word RESPECT.

he has no sence of boundaries or rathers, could care less for them. he trashes wherever he goes for that is all he knows and wishes for himself.

i'm sorry for your grandchildren that have been exposed to his meaness and discusting comments. i'm as sorry for them as i am for us all, who see a wonderful blog like yours dirty by someone who has no clue how lucky he is to be able to visit here and maybe, maybe see that kindness and love and friendships actually are better than hatred and evil.

i wish you a good nigh. good breathing and much love.

God puts angels and many other types of lending hands to help us in our journey, for many of us, you and Betty are that. Silly BBC has no idea what he is trashing and throwing away. then again, many, too many, can't see the goodness in front of them to save their souls.

my love, support and thank you.

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home