Friday, January 25, 2008

Local Warming PLEASE

Saying for the day: So cold this morning, after my dog went out for a whizz, I had to chop him off a tree trunk.

Global Warming has become a liberal versus conservative thing. The liberals are sure it is taking place while the conservatives say it is an excuse for more government intervention in our lives. My son who is a conservative of the first order thinks its so much nonsense. My sister who is a liberal if there ever was one is convinced it’s real.
As for me I don’t know.
But I do know this I would like some local warming. It has been below zero for a week now and I am tired of it. The weather guy keeps saying that warmer temperatures are coming but they don’t come. I got up this morning believing it was getting warmer only to discover it is –11 degrees outside and not really warm in here. When I was young I used to love to ski when it was this cold. I would put on a ski mask to protect my lungs and the dog and I would go off on a cross country ski trail. It was just beautiful.
But now I can do without the beauty. Now I just want to be warm. Now I want some local warming and I want it now.
This is not a conservative or a liberal thing.
It is a cold old guy thing.

News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is just a little strange. This morning Tommy UK got Eino and Toivo to bring their portable drill out to the tree with the big red X on it. They drilled a hole with the biggest drill they had and looked in with a flashlight. Sure enough, there in the middle of the hollow tree was a box. It looked like a very, very old box. One that had been there for a very long time.
Eino then went back to the garage and got his new cordless jig saw. He then made the hole big enough so that one could reach in and get the box or open it. All the time they were afraid the tree might simply grow itself closed but the hole stayed open.
Now it was time to find that “ pure of heart” person who could open it. Nobody really wanted to try because they all remembered the driblet and that people try and end up being dragged away.
Finally Frank who spent the day drinking at the Fly Inn decided that he was the one that could save the town. He staggered from the Fly Inn to the tree and thrust in his hand. There was a loud noise and Frank fell to the ground unconscious . His friends dragged him away. But they weren’t sure if it was the tree or the booze that caused him to pass out.
Then Pastor Joan offered to try. “By virtue of my Baptism” she said “ I am pure of heart”. So she stuck her hand into the tree there was that same loud noise and she fell to the ground. Apparently the tree wasn’t in to Lutheran theology. Or else since Lutheran believe that one is at the same time Saint and sinner Pastor Joan was in her sinner mode when she put in her hand.
Will one who is pure of heart ever be found? Is Pigeon Falls to be lost in the woods forever? Where is homeland security? Will it ever get warm? And of course is Tommy UK really the undertaker’s kid?
*****

Today's link-Up the Hill Gang- A book report on an old book.
I had another good day. I visited most of my links. Our old friend Dr. Kate is back. The temperature got all the way up to 8 above today. Wow, a heat wave. I did some work on the layout. My entire family will be here tomorrow to celebrate Maggie's birthday. The dog will be one year old. And I almost forgot Worldman gave me an award. It is over on the left hand side. I cleared off all of last year's awards and started new.Now I am a blogging mentor.Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

7 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

Petrovich forgot to add the pure of heart part when he posted his driblet online.

The good thing about trying to be "green" is that it does challenge us to come up with new innovations. Otherwise, it pretty much is a waste of time as Mars is getting warmer too --- Not likely that man has anything to do with that.

5:46 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

I'm not feeling liberal or conservative today, either. Just sick of being cold.

That Tommy is not your average kid, is he?

7:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of my student workers (biz major) said that global warming means it will continue to get colder because the ice caps are melting.

I am sick of being cold.

10:40 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Dr John ~ you should be living in Calgary, we are going to have a nice weekend near the freezing point. We may get really cold but when we have the chinook winds from the mountains we get very warm

A Blessed weekend is wished for you and Betty

12:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link to my book review! That was nice of you!!

I'm with you on the cold thing...though I do feel a little guilty that I'm down here in TN complaining about the 40 degree weather! lol!

4:30 PM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

Feliz Cumpleano, Happy Birthday to Maggie. wuff, wuff, wuff.

Our love, our thanks and our appreciation for you and Betty.

Thank you

xo

10:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. John, you are a blogging mentor. That's one of the reasons I come by!

12:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home