Wednesday, January 23, 2008

I AM AMERICA

Saying for the Days: The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it. ~James Bryce

I finished the other book I got for Christmas. This one was given to me by my son Peter. He knew I enjoyed the Colbert Report on television so he gave me “ I AM AMERICA ( AND SO CAN YOU) “ by Stephen Colbert.
I have to tell you that if you are only going to read one book this year or only have the money to buy one book this is definitely not the one. It reads like an eighth grader trying very hard to be funny ( even eighth graders are funny now and then). It proves that anyone can write a successful book if he has a successful TV show to plug it on. The book is so bad that I could have written it. Regular readers of this blog know how bad that is.
Unlike the show the satire in the book is badly done and far too obvious. The conservatives he makes fun of are far too easy a target. Trust me you will hate the book.
Instead get yourself a good science fiction novel by Donaldson ( he has two new ones out) or Robert Jordan ( he’s dead but his books are still good) or even the stories of dragons and Perth by the various authors. These at least read well. Or if you want good satire go back and read O’Henry or the Wizard of Oz. Satire , you know, doesn’t have to be stupid.
Good reading.

#### News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is just a little strange. People are now trying very hard to find the tree with the hole and the box mentioned in the driblet. If you want to read the driblet it is on Petrovich's Web Site, driblet 97. If they never find the tree then finding the one who is pure of heart will make no difference.
At least they have the food and some Miller Lite that came in on the helicopter yesterday. It also brought Nancy and Dr. Fortress. The helicopter you remember was prevented from leaving by a vine that caught in the rotors. The helicopter was disabled but nobody was hurt in the crash. This morning they dragged the helicopter off the main street. Eino things it can be repaired but he doesn’t have the parts.
In the meantime life goes on in Pigeon Falls. They contacted Jack and got permission to use his sauna so the bath problem is solved. Life just feels better after a good bath and there is no better bath that a good Finnish sauna.
As in any war families are separated. The part of the family that was in town is separated from the part that didn’t go shopping or stop in to the Fly Inn for a drink that day.
So far Homeland Security still sees this whole incident as a laughing matter. The head of Homeland Security told one of his aids that they have much more important things to worry about than angry trees. The President, of course, has not been told. He’ll have to read about it in Time or Newsweek when it finally comes to their attention. Would you trouble the President about a rumor that trees are attacking a small town in the middle of nowhere?
******

Today's Link-Almost Somewhat Positive- She has a fever but is she sick or pregnant or both?
It was one of those very good days that has you almost singing by the end ( of course I don't sing because it would disturb the dog). It started with a good oxygen reading. Then I blogged and visited all my links. Then Betty, Pennie and I went to lunch at Perkins. They opened a new Perkins not far from our house and Betty wanted to try it out. It was, of course like all the other Perkins. There lemon pie is still not as good as my grandmothers. In the afternoon I laid track ( yes it finally came) while Betty started taking down the Christmas tree. The track is now all laid but there is much work left to put in the incline that should take about a week. Now I need a breathing treatment. Tomorrow another elf tale.
GBYA

10 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

They are asking for help the wrong way. They need to say that Pigeon Falls has discovered an amazing new diet (after all, the driblet says they are starving -- so maybe some are losing weight too and they will be telling the truth). People will come to check it out and maybe one of them will find the box in the tree.

6:15 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

I always liked Ian Fleming's books I can read them over and over and always find something that I missed the previous time.

I am not a big fan of they Talk Show Guru's, in fact I am not a fan of present day television at all, unless it is one of the Law & Order shows.

Thank you for the review.

PS What is your email address Dr John, I have some news I want to share with you but cannot debut on my blog yet.

6:54 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

I don't find a lot of what Colbert says funny. I think it's more his manneriams and expressions, so I'm not surprise he didn't translate well to print.

6:58 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

Thanks for the book review. I like the Colbert Report, too, and was thinking about getting the book.

7:09 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think satire is the thinking person's best friend- and I agree completely with you about Colbert's book. Unfortunately, that's the way publishers make money today.

And frankly, I would much prefer to read about Pigeon Creek than watch a Colbert show any day!

7:26 AM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Alas it is one of the cunnundrums of the universe how the good and godly must still suffer, whilst the wicked often appear to 'prosper'

Almost as strange as how some books and authors become best sellers, or as bizarre as how some films or tv shows become hits or blocbusters.

But hey I guess Harry Potter has all the ingredients, and a whole lot of publicity macxhinery behind it to 'whip' it into a frenzy. It couldn't fail to be a hit.

1:20 PM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

but hey Dr John let us not forget that most of us bloggers in a year (or two) have written a books worth of words, though perhaps not read by many, and having sold no copies - we may remain unknown and obscure authors in the world of the literatti.

Whatever we do, whatever we read, if it stimulates a reaction (good or bad) it has done something. Worst of all would be if we read something and it left us cold or non-plussed.

1:24 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Hi Dr. John,

I love Colbert's show and I am disappointed to hear that his book is no good. Some things just don't translate I guess.

Thanks for the comment on my blog, and thanks for the link!

2:33 PM  
Blogger Dana Fredsti said...

Oh man, I LOVE Colbert...I'm very disappointed to hear the book doesn't live up to it!

7:17 PM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

i'm sore, i'm so happily sore...whoo-hoo dr. John, lol..last weeks bellydancing class was a bit too easy for me, so my instructor moved me to another time...i love the idea for its a whole hour early and i get home before the kids are in bed and this was happened to have some of the dancers of her troupe by a fluke and so guess who danced with ones that really know what they are doing for real, lol....new moves are taught once and just like that we are suppossed to learned them...everything shymmy was easy, everything that moves from side to side (face, ribs) was hard and i have homework :)....consdering who was in the class i'm not feeling bad at all...i love bellydancing Dr. John, it is an amazing workout, better than anything else i have ever done.

i read your comment to me and you made me cry with your words. i don't think i deserve anything more or less than anyone else. i'm, however, grateful for the love and caring and the joy that God lets me have. i hope that my kids and mine future is better and better and that with some of that peace and joy i can do something for others and pass it on. i know for sure that my first job as i feel God wants of me is to be these 5 kids mom. whatever comes after that i may not always know but with friends and family as mine i know i have the support and caring to keep on going.

thank you for your patience.

we are working on the house here. rebuilding the basement that flooded a few years ago and my eldest bedrooom. also new floors all around and a walk in pantry in the kitchen. this house was my ex husbands wish but it was a fixer upper that never got done and then i got it in the divorce and i'm so happy and grateful it will now be done.

you should see who is doing the work, my son as the assistant and a grandpapa + who is so kind and sweet and gives all the money he earns to charity for he doesn't need them. my mom met him a couple of yrs ago and the whole family appreciates and likes him...

pls say hi to Betty. hope she is well. hope your breathing never goes bad again.

sweet dreams and enjoy your cuddles with Betty. i loved how you answered the meme of yesterday's post. you guys are so cute and what a wonderful thing for the world to see, marriage can be happy and good and can last and be full of love.


xooxoxoxo

8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home