Sunday, August 19, 2007

Sunday- I get to sing hymns

Saying for the Day-A hymn is another doorway to God.

If you were to ask me what I like most about Sunday Worship I would have to say the hymns. I am not saying they are the most important thing because they aren’t. But they are what I enjoy most. I love to sing. This from a man who was asked by the choir director not to sing with the choir and to turn his microphone off during the hymns. This from a man who now runs out of breath on the third or fourth verse. I just love singing hymns.
I like all kinds of hymns. From the simple “Jesus Loves Me” to the mighty hymns of Bach I love them all. I love the old and the new.
When I sing a hymn I am pulled into the very presence of God. For that brief moment in time I am up on the mountain top. I hear God speak. I am reminded of his love. I am called to serve. I believe the Holy Spirit moves in the hymns in some special way.
When we used to go on trips as a family I drove my kids nuts singing Bible Camp songs. I tried to get them to sing along with me.
It is Sunday and soon I will be at St. Marks and singing. Life is good.

@@@@ News from Pigeon Falls– the little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and another Variety Show is history:- The Pigeon Falls Pigeon Days Variety Show ended last night with the finest performance of the three nights. People felt that this might have been the greatest show in the history of Pigeon Days Variety Shows. Tommy UK astounded everybody by tapping and juggling at the same time and he didn’t drop a single ball. Vicki East sang the Pigeon Falls Song with its new verse and got a standing ovations. She wisely decided not to sing “Unless” again.The Pasty ladies did well. Old Mrs. Miller found one last tear jerking ballad to sing and had everybody crying.The act that stole the show was Toivo and Eino's rendition of "Tuna Casserole"which they got from the Garrison Keillor program on PBS. Eino came on wearing a dress and a bonnet and acted out calling people to super. Then Eino brought in big casserole with chips on top. At the close they put on angel wings and halos as they mimicked going to heaven. It was wonderfully done and their singing was even better than usual.
Next years group will be hard pressed to be as good as this one that is unless there is no Pigeon Falls next year.
****
Today's Link-Time's Fool- This entry might fog your glasses a little. Leave a Dr. John in the comment.
We got to church this morning. Pastor Joel was back. The kids lead us in singing Jesus Loves me.
I napped in the afternoon and then watched television. I played some computer games. Now I need a breathing treatment. Betty has a new blog and yiu can comment on it. You can get to it through my links.
GBYA

13 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

Okay, now have to go find Tuna Casserole from Keillor.

Nobody said anything about Tommy practicing juggling! I bet that surprised the crowd. That Tommy is a very talented kid. Does he get it from his father -- the undertaker? :-)

6:30 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

=O( I can't leave a message?

7:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. John, those hymns are dangerous! The song, "Is It I Lord?" sent me into the mission fieled -- first to Guatemala on a brief medical mission, then to an inner-city, gang-infested neighborhood in Las Vegas for 6 years. Who knows where it might send me next?

9:24 AM  
Blogger The Rev. Dr. Kate said...

I am with you on hymns. They are the constants and highlights of worship and life. At times in my life when I have been too frightened or down to pray, hymns have always been there for me - to express the longings of my heart, to give me hope and/or courage and to carry me on the journey. We began this morning with "How Firm a Foundation" - my all time favorite!
P.S. I used hymns - appropriate to the season - for lullybys. My older son, who professes that he has no faith, can still be heard humming "Allelulia, Give Thanks to the Risen Lord" from time to time!

1:24 PM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Hi Dr John, is that like

"A hymn a day helps keeps evil and bad thoughts at bay"

Wishing you a fine family Sunday

2:15 PM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

The Hymns are my favorite part of the Service as well. "The Lord's My Shepherd" being my favorite followed close behind with "Just As I Am".

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful post.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Alpha Dude said...

Amen, Dr. John.

Make that Joyful noise!

Blessings.

3:27 PM  
Blogger Stacy said...

I like Keillor. I'm rereading one of his books right now. I've never had any luck picking him up on the radio, though.

4:35 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Dr. John, I love hymns too. I love going to midnight mass at Christmas time and singing "Once in Royal David's City". It's one of the most beautiful hymns ever written.

10:09 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Dr. John, I love hymns too. I love going to midnight mass at Christmas time and singing "Once in Royal David's City". It's one of the most beautiful hymns ever written.

10:09 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Okay, didn't mean to post twice - now I'm posting a third time.

*sigh*

10:10 PM  
Blogger Bazza said...

I suspect I am a little like you Dr John in that I was not allowed into the choir and when I sing in the bath the house tends to empty. But you can get away with it in a church (as long as you can cope with the funny looks!)

4:48 AM  
Blogger chenmeinv0 said...

burberry outlet online
adidas outlet
canada goose outlet
ray ban outlet
tory burch sale
cheap pandora jewelry
louis vuitton outlet
louis vuitton
cheap nhl jerseys
ugg outlet
2016.12.8xukaimin

3:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home