Thursday, August 16, 2007

Some Thoughts from Me

Saying for the day- Life is unfair so live with it.

Sometime ago the Rev. Dr. Kate wrote about the unfairness of life. You should read what she wrote by clicking HERE.
Since then I have been thinking about the question “ Is life fair?”.
Let me start by saying that every society has ideas that are accepted without proof or discussion. They are just there and people assume them to be true. Out of these assumptions much literature and poetry grows.
In Israel , at the time of the Disciples, the assumption was that the rich were blessed by God because of their goodness and the poor had the blessing taken away because of something evil they had done. It wasn’t true but it was accepted by a large number of people.
In the early years of our country the assumption was that if you obeyed God’s laws and worked hard you would prosper. It came from our Puritan ancestors. It wasn’t always true but it was accepted.
By this century it was that everybody had a right to be happy. If there were those who weren’t happy then there was something wrong.
This lead to the assumption that life isn’t fair. Today, for the most part we believe it. We write songs, stories, and poems about it. The rich, the crooked, the mean they are happy. They get it all. The average person gets in the neck. We believe this assumption.
But is it true?
If it is true is God then unfair?
In the next few Thursdays I am going to struggle with this question. You are welcome to join me.

@@@@ News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where dragons fly, and it keeps getting darker.-Tonight is the first night of the big Pigeon Days Variety Show. There is a rumor that in addition to their Abbott and Costello routine Eino And Toivo are going to do the Tuna Casserole thing they did in 2005. When he was asked Eino said that it might be possible.
The darkness continues to get darker and the day less bright. Petrovich has added the word absolution to the translation after the “unless”. You can see the whole driblet by checking HERE. Petrovich thinks that somebody, a woman, needs to go to a priest , Father Bill, and get absolution. Then the blackness will melt away. The general feeling is that it should be Polly. Polly says she’s not going to any Catholic Priest to confess anything. Besides she and Bobby didn’t go that far. Petrovich is still waiting for friends in Russia to e-mail him a copy of the driblet that has all the pieces.
Nancy says people are becoming more and more afraid. One lady stopped in for coffee and said she doesn’t want to be swallowed up. At night she can feel the ground moving beneath her house. It’s going to happen. Nancy tried to assure her that it was all imagination caused by Petrovich but the woman couldn’t accept that.
One other interesting thing. Since this business about a woman and a priest has been circulating the number of women going to confession has increased. Some of them haven’t been to confession in years. It would seem that in a nice town like Pigeon Falls there are a few ladies who think their sins are enough to bring in the darkness.
*****

Today's Link-More Cool Pictures-Some art that is a little different- Leave a Dr. John in the comment for another chance at tomorrow's drawing.
It has been a ho hum day. Aprea came in the morning and checked all the equipment that keeps me alive. The filters on the oxygen concentrating machine had to be cleaned. Today, however was a god breathing day and I didn't need much oxygen. I watched my soaps. Betty went to Bible study.I took a nap. Maggie loved her new little pool until she took a bite out of it and left the air out. We should have gotten one that was solid plastic, no air. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

7 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

Fairness. Well, it can be hard, but I try to remind myself that I dont necessarily see the bigger picture. Guess that is where trusting God has to come in.

The Tuna Casserole thing? Now what could that be?

Oops, did Polly let something slip?

6:04 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

No, life is not fair both in a good way and in bad.

8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah to both Jan and Lori who summed this up well. When I don't get a reward I wanted I cry, "Life isn't fair!" But when I don't get what a punishment I deserved I don't do any whining.

I think if life were fair, there'd be no cross and we'd all be paying for our own sins.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

Fairness, what a mucky subject you've chosen, Dr. J. I'd have to say I believe that life as a concept is incapable of choosing to be fair or unfair. It is our choices (including those of our forefathers) that determine our paths and circumstances in life. And I believe God is fair. He gives everyone who asks the strength to carry on. He allows (not gives) hardships so that we learn.

12:22 PM  
Blogger Nessa said...

A very interesting subject. We do say life isn't fair, but how do we really know. If I don't get what I want, I may think it's not fair, but then again it usually turns out for the best, so maybe it was fair.

And just because we can't see someone else's punishment doesn't mean they don't get punished. Maybe they have money but not people that really love them. We tend to think of money and possessions as rewards but I often find them a burden. I'm done rambling now. Bye.

1:25 PM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

i may not be commenting but i'm reading. i thank you for sundays sermon and todays topic. i wish i lived close to you. i would ask you to make me one of your students. your words are another source of strength for me.

nothing has really changed. things are still in limbo.

i'm breathing. i'm praying. i'm attending daily mass and saying daily rosary. i'm back to praying night prayers with my kids. i stayed over a wk with my mom and sis. i have been home for 3 days for we needed to catch up on laundry and house responsibilities. my sis is back in Canmore where she lives half the time with her bf and my kids are on their way this wknd to Edmonton with their dad, so i'm back to my moms. behind alone and being at home still not something i can do.

i have been watching The Secret and other things from them. i'm trying and giving it all i got.

thank you for your and Betty's prayers. they are needed and gratefully welcomed. i so wish i could have you close. for some reason i find peace and comfort in you both.

2:03 PM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

lol Dr John
I'll have to quasi-quote quilly

"Life is hard, no one makes it out alive"

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home