Saturday, May 05, 2007

A Prisoner's Life

Saying for the day- Sometimes things are not as bad as they seem.
The Video promises “larger and cleaner rooms”, “79 TV channels, including ESPN“, “views of peaceful cow pastures“, and ... the 'Dorm of the Week,' (with its members) staying up all night, watching a movie and eating cheeseburgers or pizza," . It goes on to say “ you’re not a number here”. This video sounds like the attempt of a college to gain more students. After all the college I went to didn’t have a dorm of the week with movies cheeseburgers and pizza. And our rooms were small and we had to clean them ourselves. What student wouldn’t be attracted . But this is not a video for a college. It is video for a prison in Mason, Tennessee .It is a pitch to California inmates, hoping some would volunteer to be outsourced under that state's program to relieve overcrowding. Couple that with the fact that U.S. Justice Department statistics released in January which showed that nationally, inmates in state prisons (between ages 15 and 64) die at a rate of about 20 percent less than people of that age in the general population. And It almost makes you want to rob a bank and get caught. Better make sure , however , that you rob that bank in Tennessee as you could end up in one of those prisons where you had small, dirty rooms, TV with only ten channels, and where your just a number.
In all of life it pays to do your research before you act.
Just think. You can live twenty per cent longer, have all your needs taken care of ( who need more than pizza and TV?) and it costs you nothing. You might even get a chance to spend a little of the money from the bank you robbed.
Life can be so good.
Except for us honest, tax paying citizens who have to work for our pizza.

@@@@ News from Pigeon Falls– the little town in my garage where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life goes on as usual.-The fellow that is staying in one of Petrovich’s apartments left yesterday on the milk train. He told Petrovich he would be back in a week or so.
Tommy UK talked a group of his friends into hiking up to the Lake of the Loon to go swimming with him this morning. The air is warm but that lake is going to be as cold as his refrigerator and they have to hike all the way back chilled to the bone. All of this just so they can be the first one swimming this year. It makes no sense. At least he didn’t cut a hole in the ice during the winter and do a polar bear swim. Pigeon Falls leaves that to the more intelligent and learned adults.
It is Saturday and so far everybody has had only their own dreams. There was no group dream. Perhaps, that phenomenon is over like the poltergeist. People seem both happy and disappointed at the same time.
Tonight is the big Cinco de Mayo festival. They will close off main street and there will be dancing and drinking. Not a single Spanish person in town. Not one Mexican but Pigeon Falls will celebrate anyway. It will remember those brave Mexicans who fought to keep us free. Remember that those 4000 Mexicans defeated a much larger French army or you might be speaking French instead of English. We sent soldiers and war materials to help them. So in some sense it is our celebration. In any case it is a reason to dance and drink on main street and the start of the summer festival season.
*****

Today's Link-Snob in the City- Did you ever ask where the month went? So does she. Leave a Dr. John in the comment before this month is gone.
Well it was a good day. we thought of going to the Church for the celaning bee but Peter said he was coming down to help us move some heavy things. He came around noon so we could have gone to the Church (guilt, guilt, guilt) Peter turned the double bed back into a couch. He lifted the heavy TV unto its stand in the bedroom. He got the treadmill up and running. He brought a van load of our stuff from his garage. He got Betty'd new computer up and running. The kids and the dogs played in the yard . The dogs had a great time. Then they left. Betty, Pennie, and I played canasta and Betty won. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I knew I was missing something by taking care of my responsibilities and not robbing banks during my life span! I am so glad I read this post!

6:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But will I be able to blog from prison? That is something to be considered.

6:29 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Thanks for the insight Dr John, but I think I'll just plug away at an honest life here in Canada, anyway I don't have my passport ready yet to travel into the US and even if I did take your advise I'd be shipped home.

And like Quilly said, will we be able to blog from prison? without being able to blog and leave our comments on Monday at your blog, it just doesn't seem worth it.

9:19 AM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

lol Dr John,
Ironic don't you think that criminals in prison might live 20% longer than those outside.

PS - Did they take into account those who might meet violent deaths too? I hear you have just as much chance of meeting violence inside as outside - of course there is less chance of being hit by a truck or a bus if you are an inmate in a State prison or at
Her Majesty's Pleasure (dome)

9:34 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

cooped up in a small room with tv sounds like punishment to me and pizza wouldn't be much of a consolation prize. My cell would have to have a computer.

9:41 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Ugh, with my luck I'd get away with robbing the bank and live richly for the rest of my life, with guilt eating at me. =O)

Murphy's law, 'ya know.

1:49 PM  
Blogger Neoma said...

Sorry, I still like my freedom, I will pass on the pizza..........and buy my own. haha

Yeh, I wonder where the month has gone, each and every month since about 1988........mom told me the days would go by faster as I got older, she just never told me that I wouldn't be able to catch up to them.....

3:10 PM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

No doubt, Tommy UK will grow up to be one of those more intelligent and learned adults.

3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home