Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Things Change

SAying for the Day- The only constant in this world is change.

esterday I was reminded that nothing stays the same.
When I first started working with model trains I found this wonderful place in New York called Trainworld. It was run by an old guy who really loved model trains. When you called to place an order the person who took your call was like an old friend. They would ask about your layout. They might even make a suggestion. They really seemed to care. The service was great. They shipped the day they got the order .It was my favorite place and I placed a lot of orders there.
Yesterday I called there to place an order for some track. I am getting ready to begin building my next layout. Things have changed. First of all I got that annoying message that the call was being recorded for who knows what purpose. Then I got this lady whose tone of voice said “ Do you have to bother me now”. You know the tone. I gave her the item number she gave me a price almost $ 16 above the price in the train magazine ( this month’s) . I called this to her attention and then instead of saying she was sorry but the prices had changed she informed me that Lionel had raised the price to them and they were thus raising the price to me. In that tone which said “ How dare you question our price structure?” I canceled the order, thanked her for her time, and hung up.
My friendly little company has grown up into a business which is like any good company mostly interested in making a profit. They could be selling widgets or wadgets instead of train parts. I suppose it has to happen but it is still sad. The old guy died and with him the soul of the company.
Nothing stays the same . But I have found a great little store in Green Bay with a wonderful lady who greets me when I come in , talks about my layout, makes suggestions and has the world’s greatest smile. Her train parts cost a little more but they are worth it . The place is called New Hobby. Now as long as she stays healthy everything will be fine.

@@@@ News from Pigeon Falls– The little town in my garage where the trains still run, boys talk to rocks, and life goes on as usual.-Pastor Norman Moe arrived late yesterday afternoon. He was taller than people expected. He was taller than Pastor Marvel. He was younger than people expected. He was younger than Pastor Marvel. He was definitely not Pastor Marvel.
He stopped in for coffee at Nancy’s . She offered him a saffron bun but he told her he didn’t like saffron ( Pastor Marvel did) . But he did eat one of her fresh cinnamon roles and commented on how good they tasted. He told her he was just going to walk around and get a feel for Pigeon Falls.
Pastor Moe stopped in at Last Lutheran and met the secretary , Angela Meyers. She hasn’t been the secretary very long and isn’t by some accounts the best secretary. There are always mistakes in her bulletin. But Pastor Marvel felt that she needed the job and that God wouldn’t mind a mistake or two in His bulletin. In any case, she welcomed Pastor Moe to Pigeon Falls and Last Lutheran. He seemed a little upset that she didn’t take dictation.
Tommy UK was over to visit Mrs. Trumble, again. He had coffee and choclate chip cookies. One would think she is becoming a second grandmother to Tommy. He does keep her driveway clean and do odd jobs for her. But sometimes one almost gets the feeling they are plotting something.
The Liar’s club is still waiting for entries in the dragon contest with about two and I/3 weeks to go. They thought the entries would pour not trickle in. Liar’s Club members do not tend to be patient people.
****

Today's Link-The Gnostic World of Candy Minx- An art blog. Take a shot at naming the picture. Leave a DR. John in the comment.
Well it was not a bad day. I blogged in the morning. Then I went looking for blogs to be th elink of the day in upcoming days. I watched my soaps during which the mail came. Some nice person sent Betty and I one of Javanagogh's cups for which we are very thankful. They do present us with a problem. Should we put them on the fireplce mantel to admire them as works of art which they are. Or shall we use them for coffee during the day. We have no solution yet. Then we went to Barnes and Nobel and got some books. So if I fail to blog it will be because I have fallen into one of them. I ended by visiting most of my links. Now I will take a breathing treatment.
GBYA

16 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

I've been to NEW Hobby. They have lots of stuff.

Paster Moe needs to meet up with Kathryn and include a few Finenglish words in the sermon. That will warm the congregation up to him.

7:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have done what you did. Rudeness and poor service nearly always guarantee I won't be back.

8:24 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Glad you found a Hobby Store you can get your train things at. It is nice when you are greeted with a smile instead of a snarl.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Walmart did the same thing. I worked for them years ago when Sam Walton was in charge. He had a book out and an entirely different way of doing business... friendly business. Since his passing, the entire franchise has gone berserk and even the inside company policies are terrible and different.

What's that old cliche'? So and so must be rolling over in his grave. yeah, that's it.

12:11 PM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Funny isn't it
the young can't get enough of change - new sites, new faces, new music, new games, new clothes,

faster and faster, get that ride or car or bike to go faster.

the second age - want the changes to slow down, some even want to stop swapping partners or jobs (careers) and settle down, buy a home, plant roots, plant gardens, have children, ...

the third age - wonder what all the changes meant, and where all the things went ... time slipped thru the fingers like water or grains of sand, and things keep changing even if we want them to remain the same.

Some changes we welcome, others leave us discontent, impermanence so short - some memories we hold onto others we cannot recall, some memories we can dispel others we cannot let go - but alas, sooner or later we must all learn to let go, we must all pass go!
(and start all over again? maybe!)

2:11 PM  
Blogger Nessa said...

Can I be an honorary commentor. I comment wherever I go, even when I have nothing to say.

Money always seems to degrade quality.

3:25 PM  
Blogger to touch a unicorn said...

Good for you dr. john, such rudeness does not deserve your custom. If only more of their customers would do the same. Give me a smile and the personal touch every time.
Sandy

5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sorry about your train company joinging the rest of the world in poor customer service. I myself am into trains now because my son is. Geotracks is awesome! There is so much you can do with all the pieces, you can constantoly add and change it all. My son loves to watch the train but he can not put them together himself yet, so Durk and I are always building him something new.

Take care!:)

5:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. John -- your visit to my link led me to do the math on my "Two Hat" pay. They're getting a lot more work out of me then their stipend pays for. Thanks for pointing that out. You ever thought of going into the morale boosting business?

7:56 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Dr. John, you did the right thing by canceling your order and taking your business somewhere else. I do that in a heartbeat if I'm not happy with the service. What's the point in recording the call if they don't care about the customer? It sounds as if New Hobby is a much nicer place to shop.

The same thing happened to my art supply store, and customers stopped going there. Guess what - they went out of business. Serves them right... :-)

8:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Power to the people! Good for you, Dr. John, for taking your business elsewhere. How dare that snide harpie!

* * *

I'm intrigued by the younger, taller Pastor Moe. Does he look anything like Dr. Kildaire?

9:04 PM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

i'm sorry for your experiences with that train store. it is sad to loose something we like and enjoy, even if it's a place. i'm so glad though, that you have found a new and good place to visit, chat train talk and have some train fun. i love to hear you happy and i hope this store brings you many hours of joy.
**************
the new Pastor is different, but he seems nice. his thoughts on the secretary are definetely wonderful and kind. i'm sorry for he doesn't like the saffron buns, they are most delicious..yummyyy!!!! but i guess, we all have different tastes..i hope Nancy is okay with that. i'm glad Tommy is having fun spending time with Mrs. Trumble. the older folks have so much to share and teach and it's wonderful to spent time just chatting it up with them. when i lived with my great-grandparents, i never, ever got bored or anything like that with them. they filled my mind not just my heart...i wish all could experience the gifts that the older generations have to offer..
**************
i'm so happy you had a good day. the present sounds nice. i think you and Betty should use the cups as you might enjoy them the most..they are certainly beautiful, and i don't think using them everyday in your daily lives would take away from that..instead, they would remind you constant of how talented many of our friends are and how much you are loved...
by tomorrow for sure you will have another entry for the dragon story. my oldest daughter, the wonderful writer, story teller that she is has written one for you tonight..i could have sworn i had told her but she doesn't think so..i must have dreamt it but i thought for sure i had..she was here enjoying your post with me and she inquired about the dragon contest..she loves them too and she got on the computer right away and started it..she had to go babysitting so she will sent it to you tomorrow..she is sooo excited..she is finally part of the blog community she saids, lol..and she can't wait to sent it..

sweet dreams and God Bless. breath easy tonight and know that i'm better each day, my heart is going stronger each day..and more than that, i'm trying to see all my gifts and not anything but..i'm very blessed for so much and my friends, you guys, are very much an important part of my blessings..

much love to you all..

9:32 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

Im very happy that you found a place to buy your train parts and they are also nice. I think you should drink out of Javanaughs cups and enjoy them...I dont think you should save anything...use everything now. Thats what I do. You save them then when you go, your kids sell them in a yard sale for 10 cents apiece, better to enjoy a nice hot cup of coffee in them!

10:10 PM  
Blogger Neoma said...

I understand completely exactly how you feel on this one. There is nothing sadder than to lose a business that you love. And most of the time in these Mom and Pop stores, the soul is the owner who started the company and runs it out of love. I would think someone in the train business does this because of their love of trains. I think someone answering the phone who doesn't love trains and her job, NEEDS a new job.

I used to work for a bank, and I greeted everyone by their name, with a smile. I was told early in my career, THE ONLY thing we have to offer that another bank can't is a smile and great service, everybank has a checking account and a savings account to offer. I think people in business today have no interest in doing a good job. And I often wonder why?

1:04 AM  
Blogger Alastair said...

The good thing about change is that it lets you discover new things - glad you found New Hobby!

Sorry to hear the liars club is impatient... Tell them not to worry, some of us are slow workers :-)

3:06 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

There's no excuse for rudeness- if you're in a business that deals with the public and you aren't interested in doing so, you're in the wrong business. About a year ago Tim Horton's put in a restaurant in Warsaw. At first they were packed out all day long. But then, their parking lot started looking a bit barer and a bit more bare...I think I might know why- I have a blind lady with a service dog who rides my bus quite frequently and it seems she paid a visit to the new Tim Horton's. When she was through with her meal she asked the manager to call the bus for her (any of the other businesses in town will gladly do this for their customers) only to have the manager snap at her, "Go outside and use the payphone like everyone else!" To this day Dorothy has not returned to Tim Horton's. I had never been in one but had been planning to before I heard this story. Now I never will. So, hurray for you, Dr. John for taking your business where you know it and you are appreciated!

5:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home