Monday, February 12, 2007

Risky Comments

Saying for the Day- some risks are worth taking.

It’s leave a comment Monday. That’s when I beg and plead with all you good readers to leave a comment.
Last week in one of the entries on his blog Alastair asked if it was a good thing to ask for comments since there are crazy people out there who wearing the cloak of “anonymous” leave mean and nasty comments.
Now I know those people exist. Everyday as I look for “Today’s Link” I visit many blogs and read many comments. I have seen the nasty things people say. People can use words to hurt and some seem to be very good at it. If you don’t agree with them in matters of religion, politics, economic theory, or food choice down comes the hammer. They will do their best to crush you.
Not only do they make you feel bad but because they are anonymous they bring to your mind your worse stereotypes. You just know that they are loony fundamentalists , loopy liberals, weird conservatives, Bush Birdbrains, or Hillary’s Idiots ( put your own image in this space).
The good news is most of them have found their blog neighborhood and the people they want to torment. They are very happy making the people miserable that they already comment on. Even bad guys have to rest sometime.
Blog neighborhoods like ours don’t attract them because the entries are too varied. One day we might talk politics but the next its about what the cat had for dinner and the vase it broke. How can you leave a nasty comment on that?
In this neighborhood we share hopes, dreams, sorrows, joys, and what it means to be us. We are poor targets .
In the almost two years I have been writing this blog I haven’t had more than five or ten mean comments.( some of those I deserved) A couple of those were from an old guy ( not anonymous) who hates religious people. When I refused to get upset he gave up.
I guess what I’m trying to say is I am going to keep asking for comments because I know there are lots of nice people out there in blog land.
Now be one of those nice people and leave me a nice comment.

@@@@ News from Pigeon Falls –The little town in my garage where the trains still run , dragons fly, and now and then somebody plays practical jokes.– Poor Jack! Somebody slipped into his Sauna while he was having coffee at Nancy’s and substituted their soap for his. His next customer in the afternoon was fussy old Mavis Rintala. She wasn’t into the sauna more than fifteen minutes when she started to scream. Jack checked on her to find her wrapped in a towel and dyed a bright red. The more she washed the worse it got. The soap seemed to be the problem so Jack gathered up all the soap in her unit and then all the soap in the other units. He gave her some soap he knew to be good and the color dimmed a little but she was still red as an apple. So Jack told her she could have a month of free saunas and he was sure the dye would wear off. One doubts you will see her in public until she is back to normal. Jack is glad she didn’t talk about suing him . Now he has to try figuring out who did this or else remember to lock the door when he goes for coffee. The immediate suspect, of course, is Tommy, the undertaker’s kid. But Tommy denies it and says he didn’t even know there was soap like that. He suggested to Jack that it could have been somebody who didn’t like Mavis. Jack discovered that only the soap in the unit Mavis always used was dye soap so there could be truth to that assumption. Either Tommy is pretty smart or he is the one who put the soap only in Mavis’s unit.
Nancy is doing great business because there are now so many rumors running the town. She has all the usual rumors like who is cheating on who ( or is it whom?) who is getting divorced, who got really drunk last night and fell down the basement stairs, and who is now on a diet. Then she has the special rumors concerning Pastor Marvel. He is leaving. He isn’t leaving. He’s been offered a huge salary to come to Florida. All those rumors. Then there are the rumors about Mavis , now called Mavis the red. The name will stick with her long after the dye wears off. This is a family blog so we can’t repeat those rumors but you can be told they have to do with a certain man who looks like he has red dye on his face and hands ( you can’t see the rest of him). In any case, Nancy has people lined up waiting to get their turn at sharing and receiving information that nobody else has.
******

Today’s Link-Annie Portrhouse.com-What would Jesus drive.That is her question. Please leave the usual Dr. John in the driveway or the comment.
This was another record breaking dull day at the Fortress. My daughter was home sick and slept all day. Betty went out at luch and got soup for her. I blogged, watched soaps, and napped. I don't know if life can get any more exciting. Ah but now I get a breathing treatment.
GBYA

23 Comments:

Blogger Gary said...

I just read a previous post where you said you were a math teacher.
Does that mean your favorite book of the bible is Numbers?

6:50 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

I try to always be one of the nice people. And I would leave a comment even if you hadnt ask me to! Some people are just mean and we will never understand them unless we walked a mile in their shoes. Maybe not even then! lol

7:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love how Tommy is automatically thought of as the troublemaker, yet he was voted into office as mayor.

7:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another perk to being nice...the bullies don't want to hang out with you.

9:18 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I may not always agree with others but I don't see any point in being mean. To me it's like those who's every other word is a curse word. I just look at it as a lack of vocabulary. A viewpoint is a viewpoint, but let' keep the barbs of them!

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I am leaving a comment for the first time. Why have I not left a comment earlier? Because I just visited your blog for the first time about 60 seconds ago.

12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I JUST LOVE YOUR NEW BANNER AT TOP! (Partly because it's Finnish?)

I just made a decision to act more like a blog & express my opinions on some current important discussions this year. Why not?

It's a good thing that we can keep an eye on the goings-on in Pigeon Falls ... thanks for keeping the news coming out of there!

12:36 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

You're right- we do have a nice neighborhood.

3:21 PM  
Blogger Alastair said...

I like this neighbourhood... It's busy, but not frenetic, relaxed and friendly and often funny and forthright. Nice place to bring and make friends and to just hang out at each other's places. Property prices are good too, though you have to put up with some of the quirks by just repeating 'it's free, it's free, it's free'. I'll stop now as this thought may continue on and on, and perhaps finds its denouement in a posting on my own blog.

And I do only leave nice comments!

And Annie's blog is great, as are her books...

Thanks Dr John, hope the cat's not breaking too many vases.

3:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always feel sorry for those folk who leave anonymous nasty comments. Here they are, exercising what little power they have in their lives, and they are too pathetic to even take proper credit for it. That really is sad.

They would feel so much better about themselves if they would just leave a positive comment - and they could sign their names, too!

4:17 PM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

It is not often I can do something someone asks for.....cannot babysit, cannot cook, cannot clean, cannot take someone to the doctor, but I CAN leave a comment!!!

4:37 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

WARNING: Nice comments beget polite comments which beget friendly commets then in turn beget friends who comment who soon send their friends to comment and before you know it you'll be spending 4 hours each night returning comments.

But it's oh so fun!

4:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's whom, John.

5:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really good post, Dr. John. Thought-provoking and a reminder. I agree with some of the other commenters, if you are nice to others when you leave a comment that is what you will likely get in return.

When I don't agree with a subject or don't like the topic of some posts I just don't comment. It isn't very hard to do, I just click on the next button and continue on my merry little way.

Again, great post/great reminder for us all.

6:38 PM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Just stopping by for my Leave A Comment Monday - Comment

I don't care too much for the Anonymous commentors either, but what can you do. These are the same folks who call in and chew the poor soul out on the other end but wouldn't have the courage to do it to their face.

These poor lost souls, one must learn to forgive.

7:19 PM  
Blogger Sunflower Optimism said...

Here I am - now off to bed because it's late! Not much of a comment, but at least you know I was here!

7:59 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Well, I wouldn't miss "leave a comment Monday", even if I had nothing to say.

Hmmmmm.

Nope. I had a totally boring day at my place today.

Josie

9:14 PM  
Blogger Joe & Karen said...

Dr. John
I'm not sure if you would remember me, my name is Karen, I was blogging a lot after my son passed away. I still do sometimes.
I was remembering when you had included my blog as a link and asked people to stop by and say that you'd sent them... and to this day, I am so sorry about my reaction. I was so upset at the time, thinking that it was just some game. I see it so much more differently now, and I understand your intentions when inviting others to my site.
You are a very kind man. I have been stopping by your blog recently, and am inspired by your writing and faith. Please accept my apologies. I am sorry if at the time I lashed out at you, it was from a place of hurt and anger, misdirected to you.
Sincerley
Karen

9:39 PM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

my dear friend, leaving you comments on monday or any other day is one of my daily pleasures. visits to your blog bring me peace and joy and comfort. it has been sad for me for the days i cannot comment and feel overjoyed to leave you my silly words.

life is not easy for many these days. i don't know if it's a coincidence or it is just that we are getting closer to one another but either way it is so. with our friendships so deeply wooven now, we find real worlds and real life behind our blogs..

my life, my days are like yours, full of little nothings to do yet they overwhelm me as if i'm running marathons still. i have no strenght really. all i have to do is take the kids to the bus stop and i'm done for hours. it takes all the will and energy in me..and yet, i look around us and see so many with real life issues..

i'm in awed of the strength and courage of so many, the faith and compassion of our friends. it is an honour to be invited to another's life and to be shared our intimate lifes..

it is hard to understand God's ways sometimes. i am but a silly girl who cannot possibly see what He has written for me but i am wondering so often what it must be. i feel i have something to do and i feel it in my heart that it is to mother my kids. my life is a dimmer and my body is not the one i had many months ago but yet He keeps me here going and i am hoping that I'm learning somehow what He asks of me...whatever that is.

His will and His ways are like His cross. an honour and treasure. as i read our friends blog, i see that not one of us gets to go through life without stumbles or hardships or hard crosses and in reality mine is but the lightess out there..

thank you for being a source of strength for so many and a source of friendship and caring and guidance. if you really knew how much you and Betty do for so many.

both of your hearts are a refuge along with your blog for weary hearts and souls. thank you for all that you do..from me, from Butterflies and from so many others..

God Bless, for We have surely been touched by Him in meeting you both..

all my love.

12:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been fortunate so far, no nasty comments from anonymous. I think you're right, being nice doesn't give them any fodder.

3:53 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I don't know what kind of nasty comments to leave as an anonymous commentator when you can leave so many under your own name.

4:10 AM  
Blogger david santos said...

Hi: Dr!
Very, very nice.
Tank you

4:21 AM  
Blogger Neoma said...

I takes all kinds to make up a world, good, bad, and worse. I don't bother with comment moderation, because i don't really care if someone leaves a nasty comment, I just erase it. I have had a few, but hey, my skin is thick. It is amazing what someone people think......I am just glad they are only in my blog world, not my real world. haha

People who are mean, are unhappy.....and they just want to spread it around, you know misery loves company. They just need a cookie, chocolate chip, would probably do the trick.

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home