Tuesday, February 13, 2007

I am ashamed!

Saying for the day- Look before you leap. Judge not that you be not judged.

I am so ashamed! I went to church last Sunday ( no, I am not ashamed of that) and broke a biblical rule. The rule that says you shall not judge. I broke it and I am ashamed.
Sitting in front of me were four kids that from the back looked liked typical teenagers. There were three boys and a girl. Right a way I assumed they were there because they were relatives of the children being baptized and that their parents made them come. Then came the point where the children’s choir sang. The choir was doing a song with hand motions and one of the teenagers in front of me whispered something to the one next to him ( I assumed it was some snide remark) and then half imitated the motions of the children I was thinking that even if they didn’t want to be there they could show some respect for what was an important time for the children. The song ended and we came to apart in the service where we pass the peace. They turned to face me and then I saw that I was so wrong. These were not typical teenagers. All four of them were retarded. They weren’t making fun of the children they were doing the best they could to be like them. More than that I could see from the look on their faces that they weren’t forced to be there this was where they wanted to be. Their faces were all aglow as they reached out to hug the people around them. I felt so ashamed. When will I learn not to judge others? When?
In the end they are one of the reasons I like this church. There are many retarded people attending. The Pastor seems to know them all by name and they seem to adore him. The congregation seems to welcome them and better yet make them feel welcome. This is a loving congregation.
It is also Ecumenical. I have been there three times, now, and every time there has been an announcement in the bulletin about some event going on at St. Gregrory’s Catholic Church. It reminds me of the old days at United when father Gondeck and I did so many things together.
I think this might just be the church for Betty and I. I might even learn not to judge.

@@@@ News from Pigeon Falls-The cute little town in my garage where the trains still run, dragons fly, and the council fights on– The town council met last night. It was a special meeting with only two items on the agenda.
1. Should they add three channels to the town cable and if so who should pay for it.
2. Should they build a library building, buy an old building and renovate, or add on to the town hall with the grant money they have received.
They started with the TV channels and the council broke into three groups. Two who said seven channels is more than enough, two who said add the channels and let the subscribers pay for it, and two who said add the channels and let the town absorb the cost. Mrs. Trumble did the best she could to keep order but tempers flared. People who had come to watch the meeting didn’t help any. Two of them got so involved that they got into a fight and Eino had to remove them from the building. In the end they postponed the decision again. So people in Pigeon Falls will still have seven channels and not one channel more.
Then the library question was on the floor. Council members were already angry and had strong feelings on this issue as well. Some thought they should take advantage of the money and improve the town hall while getting a better library. Some thought that the money was there why not build a building designed just for the library. Some thought they should by an old building and renovate so more money could be used for new books. A representative from the Council On Aging said that the seniors preferred the new building because it could be made fully handicapped accessible. Somebody else said the library was for kids . That touched off a real shouting match. It was finally decided to get estimates on the three projects and then meet next week to consider them again. Small town government is so efficient.
*****

Todays' Link-Papercraft Paradise- Another form of art- Leave the very artistic Dr. John in the comment .Please
Another dull day. I blogged a little. Watched the soaps . Took a nap. Blogged a little more. Watched CSI. Changed over to the new blogger. Betty left the Fortress for the drug store. Pennie was home sick and slept all day. Run of the mill dull day. Now I need a breathing treatment .
GBYA

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mrs. Trumble should have Tommy the undertaker's kid there to run the meetings. I think he could figure out what to do.

6:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Small town government is like a church council....when faced with a question, form a committee to look into it....and then form another committee to decide how to act on that information....then form another committee to raise funds....then another committee to oversee the actual running of the project....and finally a committee to review it when it's over to see what worked, what didn't and how to make it better next time.

6:37 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

To err is human...

10:37 AM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Alas Dr John, it is human nature to place everything in a box, and to pre-judge is hard to do.

I "pride" myself that I think the best of everyone (ehether from the back or the front) and always give the benefit of a doubt.

But even I've been known to think that is a great behind (in more ways than one) - or hmmm wouldn't trust him (or her) as far as I could throw them.

However surprisingly I have more often than not errred the other way, treated people like equals - only to find they were real nasty and unfriendly people - and treated some women find, who were very fast to stab me in the back.

And often these were not your usual suspect, those who you might expect to misbehave - but those who look 'normal' yet willing to crucufy whoever to get their way or climb peculiar corporate ladders - ladders from which I must confess, I shall she no tears when they fall or are set alight

11:37 AM  
Blogger butterflies said...

Everyone is guilty of judging others at some time...Thats why God is so wonderful because He forgives.
Oh BTW...retarded is no longer PC..One must say...mentally challenged;)
Breathe well..

12:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

If you were perfect, Dr. John, we wouldn't be worthy of spending time with you.

Learn from it, move on, and go treat yourself to a bologna and jam sandwich.

P. S. I have yet to cut off one of my ears, but such extreme action would certainly add a little excitement to my normally humdrum day! If I decide to go for it, I'll take pictures for my blog.

12:17 PM  
Blogger Neoma said...

Snap judgements are a common human failing.......we all do it, and are quite often wrong. There are very few Saints walking among us......... :)

1:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once upon a time we had a dog, Chuckles by name. He was the only dog in town who looked like it was put together by a committee. That's what the library will look like.

4:09 PM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Dr John

We all sometimes make a judgement and then realize we were wrong. I do it myself. It is part of human nature. God will forgive us quicker than we forgive ourselves.

I am glad you found a church you like, it is nice to find something you feel comfortable with.

5:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you found a good church.
And glad God thinks enough about you to help you learn..

6:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't you just hate when you find that you are less than who you thought you may have been? I hate reality checks like that, but in the end, if we learn from them and do better next time, we are better for the experience. I know you know that, I really enjoy how honest you are Dr. John. Honesty is such a rare thing these days.

Ellie

7:05 PM  
Blogger Bella said...

I did the same thing - I was judged by someone and then I turned around and did the same thing to that individual when I should have been the better person.

I'm different, have a different faith and you have not judged me, even when I let you down.

I don't think you are as "judgeful" as you think you are. It's one thing to judge but it's another thing to be open minded.

7:07 PM  
Blogger Bare said...

Dr. John, I've had a similar thing happen to me in church before, and I felt so terrible about it. It was a little different, though.

We had this guy named Eric, that I had gone to church with for years. He was from a very wealthy family, and dressed in the, well, I don't know how to describe it other than, the "let's look poor, even though we're rich". Ok, I hate that style, but then again, I'm not wearing it.

Anyway, a guy walked into our bean supper we were having for the youth. He was dressed much in the same style, and I pointed at him, and tried my best to disguise my laughing with my friend Steven. I had no idea that the guy was truly poor. My heart was broken. I felt so terrible for laughing at someone who didn't have anything. I would NEVER laugh at someone for being poor, or how someone who is less fortunate is dressed-- however, those who are rich, dressed like their living on the streets, it just gets to me.

Anyway, case in point, it's best not to judge. God gives us many lessons. Thanks for sharing :0)

God Bless :0)

*PS: The White Rabbit should pay for the 3 cable channels*

7:16 PM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

my dear friend to make a mistake, little or big is part of the human thing. to acknoledge and make amends that is what counts really. it is not how many times we fail, it is how many times we get up.
i'm not ashamed of you. i'm so proud and happy to know you, for you are a rare type. one that doesn't hide or make excuses. your maturity and your comapassion take over all imperfections and you love outwards. thank you.

thank you for your prayers. thank you for your continued support and most beautiful friendship. you, the family, Betty mean the world to me. i thank you all for all that you give me..
*******
i vote for many more channels..i cannot imagine just having a few, lol. i'm too spoiled now..and as for the library. it must be hard to make such decisions. you can never pls everyone. every each one has their own ideas. another reason why it is so hard to be in politics..good luck to the town and may they try harder not to fight about it..
***************
i too had to change over to new blogger. it locked me out and i had no choice..we will see if things go smooth but i hope they do.

sweet dreams and restful night to Pennie. i'm sorry she is ill. a kiss to her.
and to you and your beautiful Valentine my love forever.

7:35 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

I have had tthat type of situation happen to me, where I misjudged someone. I always try to see it as a very valuable lesson in humility.

8:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. John, I give myself lectures on not judging all the time. Someday on e will stick.

8:08 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

I am glad you feel so comfortable in that Church. I am also glad they are so kind to the special needs children and include them. Dont feel so bad Dr John, we all tend to judge at times, even though we know we shouldnt. We just have to try a little harder.

11:54 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

kWe're all guilty of pre-judging now and then. There used to be a man who rode my bus and I hated picking him up because he was a drunk and on his way to yet another bar. Then one day the Lord told me to start a conversation with him...turns out he and his son had both served in Viet Nam. He came home. His son did not. I could hear the Lord telling me, "You see, he drinks to forget..." I learned a lesson that day, and I now try a lot harder not to judge but sometimes I still mess up.

5:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home