Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Kid in a Candy Store

Saying for the Day: Wanting something you can't have will raise your blood pressure.

When I was a kid I used to go to the dime store in Ishpeming.
It had a great big candy counter.
Behind panel after panel of glass were every kind of candy you could think of.
I used to stand in front of those glass panels and feel nothing but frustration.
There wasn’t a candy there that I didn’t want and I had no money so all I could do was look.

I think that must be what hell is like .
You can see what you want but just can’t get it.

Yesterday blogger did that to me.
I posted my blog for the day and that went fairly well.
Then I looked at Monday’s blog and there were twenty seven comments.
When I turned it off the night before there were only ten.
I was so excited.
Seventeen new comments.
You know heaven for a blogger.
But it was just at that moment that blogger went down for some kind of scheduled maintenance.
I could not get to the comments.
They were there in cyber space but not on my computer.
Twenty seven fantastic, wonderful, comments and I couldn’t get to them.
I could only get a screen that said try again later.
I felt like that kid in the candy store with no money.
You could see the candy but not taste it.
I knew there were comments but I couldn’t read them.
So I went and watched television for fifteen minutes and then I came back.
But now I couldn’t even get my blog to come up.
If I wasn’t a grown man with reasonable control of my emotions I would have kicked in the monitor. Of course. I can’t lift my foot that high.
Instead I resorted to my mantra.
My blogger mantra.
Over and over I said “but its free”.
After the one hundredth time I felt some peace .
I went back to the television.
Then every fifteen minutes I repeated the action.
I have no idea what I saw on television but you can bet I knew that blogger was free.
After what seemed like years my blog returned but I still couldn’t get to the comments.
It was as if blogger was taunting me.
“ I have your comments and you can’t have them”.
I am lucky there was no hammer in the room or arthritic fingers or not I would have lost a monitor right there and then.

Of course, as always, blogger got everything fixed and I got to see those wonderful comments.
They were even better because I had to wait for them.
I treasured each one.
Once it was candy that made me happy but I am older so now its comments.

Thank you blogger for being free and thank you friends for comments.

@@@@ News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my garage where the trains still run and dragons fly.-Mrs. Trumble met with the town council yesterday and got them to declare next Wednesday Louise Mattson day in Pigeon Falls. The entire town is being called on to celebrate the 100th birthday of a great lady. Louise was one of the first people born in Pigeon Falls ( all the others are dead) so in some ways her history is the town history. She was born on the Kuivila potato farm. There was no doctor but Mrs. Alma Perry , a midwife, was there for the delivery which took place in the Sauna. She was three years old when the pigeons came and saved the farm. She has loved pigeons ever since. When she was seventeen she married George Mattson and they were married for sixty two years before George died. Its too bad George is no longer with us because he loved a party. He still would be except that at 82 he went to cut that big tree down in the back yard and it fell on him. Lucy told him not to do it but he was one stubborn guy.
You can bet Thomas M. Bradley IV will be at the party. He is spending a good part of every day at Nancy’s having coffee ( he must be almost coffee logged) and talking to everybody that comes in. He is gathering what he calls “local color”. One is surprised that Nancy put up with him. She has a rule that you can only stay for fifteen minutes so that other people can come in. But she seems to have waved the rule for him. It must be because he is a writer.Tom seems very interested in White Rabbit and Dragon stories. Some of those telling them are embellishing them a little. Ethel Wandersee told him there were two dragons and she saw them with her own eyes. Of course, since the accident, Ethel sees double.
Pastor Marvel is planning a party on Sunday for Louise. She has been a member of last Lutheran Church since the church was formed. The party will take place between the early and late services. Louise can tell you of the big fight in 1942 when the church split. The “Church of the Real Lutherans” was formed by the splitter group. They were upset over some fine point of Lutheran doctrine and accused Last Lutheran of being too liberal. The CRL has since died. Most of its members came back to Last Lutheran but there are a few left that will never go back. Those Lutherans are such a strange bunch. Perhaps Bradley could write a book called “ Murder at Last Lutheran” where the pastor is killed because of some wrong belief. It’s a thought.
****

Today's Link- Further on Up- More about this odd January and warm weather- Please when you leave your wonderful comment remember to include the words DR. John.
I will close out the JCPOINTS on Sunday. Check yours HERE and what they can get HERE. There are saffron buns on the list.
We left the Fortress and went to a shopping center I had not been to. We werew looking for an old train store I used to visit but that entire mall is now empty. It seems sad. We did get to a toy store and I bought some games to play with my grandkids the next time they visit. Betty bought a can crusher.( Noit at the same store). We are talking about a one day up and one day back run to Crystal to pick up our tax material which we left there. Now I need a breathin g treatment.
GBYA

11 Comments:

Blogger ArtsyTartsyViray said...

You sound just like me when a website is down and there is something on there I wanted to look at.

I should use that mantra also..

Have a great day!

7:30 AM  
Blogger Bella said...

I love comments too! It does make a blogger happy. I don't get very many but then again, I don't visit all that much like before because of school so, people don't visit me. You do!!! Thank you! :)

I love candy stores and I remember one that I use to see walking to and from school. It was called "Rainbow". That's when I first heard of Jelly Bellys and you bought them by the ounce. I nver had money myself so I had to envy my friends and beg them for one little Jelly Belly. :)

9:09 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Hmmm, I wonder what would happen if I send you a prize locked inside of a lock box with a note that says you'll get the key to open the locked box in a year?

Oh never mind, I'll more than likely would have to mail said key to the local funny farm where you'd be residing.

Only you'd go even crazier because after they locked you up in there, they insisted that you leave the locked box at home with Betty.

You'd have the key but then, no box.

But it's free. But it's free. But it's free.

11:53 AM  
Blogger butterflies said...

Oh yes you are free blogger...even tho youre a pain in the *** your wonderfully free;)
And without you dear blogger,I would never have met Dr John and Betty so thankyou blogger;)
(said with tongue in cheek)

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose. And nothing ain't worth nothing but it's free"
That applies to my view of Blogger, ha,ha..

5:52 PM  
Blogger Sunflower Optimism said...

It was blogger??? And all that time I thought it was me - my password kept getting kicked back, my comments disappeared - very upsetting to write a nice comment and have it go kapoof!

I like comments on my blog :-) I don't write very much and I always think that my friends who visit will give up on me. But they don't. It is good to have friends :-)

5:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! My package arrived in yesterday's mail. Megan loved the little blue duckie and the saffron bun was wonderful...and a completely unexpected surprise. I didn't know it was in the mail when I asked to bid on one yesterday so if it will help you out, you don't have to send another.

6:18 PM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

I am glad you got to read all the comments. Candy stores and kids were meant for each other. Reading your memories automatically trigger memories I've long forgot.

Thanks Dr John.

PS

I'd like to get the Sitting Indian Statue and a Saffron Bun Please

Blessings to you and Betty

8:35 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

When blogger goes down, I always seem to appreciate it more when it cames bact up.

8:38 PM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

How true -
we spend half our life wanting something, and the other five minutes happy or sad because we didn't get it. It is in not wanting we are fulfilled, it is is being fulfilled we are satisfied, it is in being satisfied wanting is fulfilled.

4:56 AM  
Blogger rain said...

Ironically, when I clicked on the link to add my comment, I initially got an error message!

I love comments too, and it drives me nuts that I get so few... although I know I need to do more to encourage comments. Anyhow, I wanted to thank you for your comment on my blog, and linking back to it on yours. It was greatly appreciated.

7:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home