Thursday, March 23, 2006

John the singing cowboy..

Saying for the Day:Life sometimes turns out better than our dreams.

Two recent events sent me back to the artifact box even though it’s not Tuesday.

The first was Lydia’s tagging me and asking for my songs.
The second was having to watch American Idol.

After much digging I found the 3 x7 card. It has a picture of Gene Autry and the title “the Singing Cowboy”

It's in the box to remind me of what I wanted to be when I was a kid.

I didn’t want to be a pastor. I hardly believed in God.

Now please don’t laugh.

I wanted to be a singing cowboy.

A strange thing for the only Pastor who was asked not to sing in the choir to want to be.

But I did.
I knew every Autry song by heart. I sang them all around the house.
I saw every Roy Rogers movie.
I listened to Tom Mix on the radio. ( He didn’t sing but he was a cowboy.)

I wanted to take guitar lessons. My mother made me take accordion lessons.

Who ever heard of an accordion playing cowboy.

Aside from that I was horrible on the accordion. I couldn’t get my two hands to work together. At the end of the lessons I could only play three songs well. ( And well may be a bit of an exaggeration.)

I couldn’t ride well either. My pony dumped me in the creek. Not a real recommendation for a cowboy.

But I thought I could sing. If there had been an American Idol then I would have tried out.
I would have been laughed off the stage but I would have tried.

So I keep the card. It reminds me of how different things turn out from our dreams and expectations. Mine turned out better.

Otherwise I would be riding the range and that dang accordion would keep snagging on the saddle horn. But I’d be singing. (As long as I stayed away from creeks)

@@@
7350 spins without a prize. Old hapless tried the "Deal or no Deal" briefcase game again . This time he didn't even get the case right. Things are back to normal. That means yesterday his 100 entries into the I won.com daily game won nothing. His 20 entries at Prize America won nothing.
His pick seven at Iwon won nothing. In other words he won nothing.
Well Uncle Wiggly lovers if old hapless doesn't find a bunch of new contests which will take up so much time he can't blog. We will be back with another adventure of "As the World Spins".
****

Well I walked a few steps this morning from the lift chair to the middle of the room and back with the walker. I'm learning to walk through the pain. Betty has moved mountains or at least furniture and gotten me into the computer room. What a women. I am now able to add a new link "Upper Peninsula, Michigan and Beyond". This a blog from right here in Crystal Falls and if you scroll down through it you can see pictures of the town and the area (Very good pictures).
I upgraded the Church web page. It now has a new top ten list and all of the bulletins for March.
It was good to be back in the computer room. Well I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was press-ganged into the school choir by the psychotic music master.

I managed to avoid choir practice until my voice broke.

Then the music master said I sounded like I was talking out of my backside, so that resolved that.

He wasn't a very nice man.

7:25 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

You are proof God works in mysterious ways. I have noticed this a very bad week for televison. It is so bad, that Pete and I have decided cleaning is more fun than watching nothing on tv.

If it will make you feel better, you can sing at Luke's birthday and wear your cowbay hat.

I feel for you...get better soon!

Lori

10:31 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

I often heard that our plans are not always God's. He's always work out better. I'm sure your family has had the pleasure of hearing your beautiful songs throughout the years. What a great audience that is! I'm hopeful that you can walk without pain soon. I myself had to learn to walk after a major car crash. It took a long time but now i'm on my feet. Good luck. Read you tomorrow.

4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home