Saturday, November 14, 2009

Six Words

Today's Saying

If it takes a lot of words to say what you have in mind, give it more thought. ~Dennis Roth

My scooter needs a good charge


Chief Ican is holding on to Eugene while he sobers up. Eugene is not very happy about the entire incident and has reached the I’m going to sue you level of sobriety. So Chief Ican reminds him that he wouldn’t be in this mess if the town hadn’t insulted the old Gypsy fellow and his daughter . ( The idea being that if you tell a lie often enough and in enough forms it will be believed. Ask any politician)
But this is Saturday and while we wait everybody in town is looking at the 1890 Sears catalogue that the train dropped off bundles of yesterday. They can’t believe what it contains and the prices.
There is a Singer Model 12 New Family treadle sewing machine for $9.00 and other fancy sdewing machines, all tredle of course, costing between fifteen and twenty dollars. It’s like a different world.
There is a beautiful , ornate pump organ for just $9.89. The one at Last Lutheran in this age looks just like it. It also had all the parts you needed to fix the organ if it broke.
The catalogue has the first of the Sears Model Homes. It was a two story, no porch, for $762. The kit came with everything cut and fitted and with full instructions. An outhouse kit was extra.
It had saddles, wagons and carriages and all kinds of horse harnesses.
There were four pages of general medicines, two page of homeopathic medicines, and one page of patent medicines. They could cure everything.
There were seven pages of tea kettles. People in those days must have loved their tea. You could get tea kettles in iron, nickel , copper, and porcelain, in an entire variety of shapes.
The catalogue was the best thing they had in this era.*

* Please note all these item were found in Sears catalogues between 1890-1899 but not necessarily in the 1890 catalogue.

One more note. I am on new medication which prevented my sleeping last night. I am so tired that I doubt I will do any blog visiting today.

18 Comments:

Blogger Dulçe ♥ said...

G. Morning Dr
Just came by to say hello and how much I like your sayings esp. This today and... your SIX.
Have a Nice Saturday!

2:06 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

I forgot to do the 6 word meme. I must make a note for next week.

Long Overdue

3:58 AM  
Blogger Sandi McBride said...

If I were the village I'd be taking up a collection to order all I could to take back to the future with me! Specially the organ parts for repair...
Sandi

5:32 AM  
Blogger Jane said...

Happy Saturday, Dr. John!

6:20 AM  
Blogger monica said...

Make sure that you get your scooter a good charger today! Happy Saturday!

6:42 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

LOVE today's saying!

LOVE today's POST! This was a fun one! Dennis and I enjoyed it together this morning!

Hope your scooter GETS it's charge!

7:41 AM  
Blogger studio lolo said...

I remember cutting up old Sears catalogs to decorate my cardboard box paperdoll houses.
Plastic dollhouses and Barbies couldn't begin to compare to the joy those free, simple things brought me.

Now go plug that scooter in ;)

7:46 AM  
Blogger Jeanie said...

Maybe Sears could charge your scooter.

8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's to happy charging :) Have a great Saturday. Boy how catalogues have changed :)

9:13 AM  
Blogger Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Charge your scooter, Dr. John!
Only then can you move on
From the place where you are stuck
In the common mire and muck!

My Six Words

9:14 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Hi Dr. John -- I sure was glad to see those catalogs come. Now, after they read for a bit, they can replenish their toilet paper stock.
That's waht they used in those days. And corn cobs.

I charged a scooter at Sears once. It was a light green Allstate Vespa 125 and was the family second car--for me. All Allstates were green in 1957.

Happy 6WS!
..

10:49 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Hi Dr. John,
I have a "copy" of one of those Sears catalogs and they are fascinating to look through. If only we could have those prices now!
Better get that scooter charged so you can get "Rollin'" again!
Love Di

12:49 PM  
Anonymous quilly said...

Dr. John -- it sounds like more than just your scooter needs a charge! Get some rest!

I want one of those treadle sewing machines. I learned to sew on one Gram had. You think someone will think to bring one back for me?

3:24 PM  
Anonymous Kathy said...

Hope you get some rest--being tired is no fun! I've been sleepless lately myslelf. Here's to a good night for both of us!

8:18 PM  
Anonymous Kathy said...

Hope you get some rest--being tired is no fun! I've been sleepless lately myslelf. Here's to a good night for both of us!

8:18 PM  
Anonymous Kathy said...

Hope you get some rest--being tired is no fun! I've been sleepless lately myslelf. Here's to a good night for both of us!

8:19 PM  
Blogger Call Me Cate said...

I'm so sorry you didn't sleep well that night. I hope it's not an on-going issue. I'm suffering from horrible sleep-deprivation right now and it's no fun. I need a good charge like your scooter!

Sorry I'm so late visiting. I totally flaked this week. Thanks for participating in 6WS!

2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

golden goose
supreme clothing
supreme outlet
off white outlet
supreme hoodie
yeezy wave runner 700
kevin durant shoes
yeezy
supreme
goyard bag

8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home