Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The last books

Today's Saying

The oldest books are still only just out to those who have not read them. ~Samuel Butler


My book shelf is full and I've ordered seven new books. So I am going to try to give some away.
.Last week I gave away two. I have added two more to the list. Here are today's five books.

Your choice then of these five( If you win):

Cross Country-By James Patterson

A Patterson style thriller




A is for Alibi- Sue Grafton

A Suspense Novel

.



A Lion Among Men- Gregory Maguire

Another "Let's wreck Oz" book




A Cedar Cove Christmas- Debbie Macomber

A Good Christmas Story




The Spy Who Came for Christmas- David Morrell

An edge of your seat thriller.





To win one of these books , your choice, all you have to do is leave a comment and be lucky.
Tomorrow I will enter the numbers 1 through the total number of comments in a random number generator. The number it generates wins. ( No slips and no bucket)
Then I will run the generator again and that person gets the pick of the remaining four books.
This is the last book give away for this year. I will have enough bookshelf space for a while.

So leave a comment and the best of luck.




But she must not know it is her’s.
Or lost forever they will be

Everybody in the room looked at Herman all wondering who could lie so well the old lady/witch wouldn’t be able to catch it.
Pastor Joan said “ Tommy UK”? He could use his power to keep her from knowing he isn’t being truthful.
Tommy then remarked “ I’m not sure I can use my power that way.”
Herman smiled and said “ Sending Tommy would be risky. Sending who I have in mind contains almost no risk.
Mrs. Trumble then asked , “ Nancy? She spins a great story down at the coffee shop. She has tourists all but eating out of her hand.”
Herman smiled again and said “ The old woman/gypsy is not some dumb tourist. She can will see through any attempt by Nancy to snow her.. No the person I have in mind will do better than that.”
Chief Ican then had to ask “ Wink? From Wink’s Woods. Look at the junk he sells to the unsuspecting tourist . If anybody can spin a story he can.”
Again Herman smiled “ Even Wink couldn’t fool a Witch with all her magic powers” No the person I have in mind will do much better.
Then Eino, by this time exasperated said “ Enough already. Why don’t we just tell her the truth and ignore the stupid driblet. That would be the rational thing to do”
Herman said “Eino the last time we did the ‘rational’ thing ignoring the driblet we got into this mess. The rational thing now would keep us here forever.”
“Enough is enough! ‘ said Mrs. Trumble, almost shouting. ”Tell us who can do the job”
Herman responded “ Eugene Lepisto”
“But” Eino said “he is nothing but a drunk. I can’t remember when he was sober last”.
Smiling Herman said “ Exactly”

15 Comments:

Anonymous quilly said...

Having lived with a drunk for years, I totally understand sending him.

And, I wanted to leave a comment so I could win one of the Christmas books, but I can't decide where it is best to leave the comment so you will get it. ;)

1:52 AM  
Blogger forever lost said...

Dr. John you are much like "wink" "if anybody can spin a story he can"
What a great idea to give away the books...Hope my number is drawn, I keep trying to win these blog contests LOL!
Debbie Macomber looks good or the Morrell, a Christmas thriller...hmmm

2:33 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

I leave the comment but the winning luck doesn't follow. I'm lucky in love so I'm good.
Wordless Wednesday

3:38 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Aaaaaaaah! A competition for books. I love books! Alas, my book shelve are also over flowing.

3:42 AM  
Blogger Dulçe ♥ said...

I'd love to getthat thriller... That's my fave. I hope not to win,though. It'd be a fuss for you to send me thoese to the CAnaries.
Good Day my Knight!

4:18 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

I'd Fancy a Book on Spying at Christmas.

Good things are happening Dr John, and I want to Thank you for your Prayers.

Hints have been left at the Blog.

4:40 AM  
Blogger Jeni said...

Any of those books would be "wonnerful, wonnerful" to me but when it comes to luck, if it weren't for bad luck, I'd have none at all. Or so the old saying goes anyway.

5:10 AM  
Blogger Sandi McBride said...

Oh my, I love me some James Patterson books! Have you read Fannie Flagg's (she of Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistlestop Cafe fame) A Redbird Christmas? I think it would be right up your alley.
Sandi

5:45 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

Eugene Lepisto!!! What a GREAT idea!
(sheeeesh... I didn't even know Pigeon Falls HAD another drunk! Guess ya gotta though... since Herman sobered up...)

I still don't know which book I'm pickin'... it will be a surprise to us all!

6:16 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Thanks for checking my recipe, Dr. John. I will try yours (time undetermined) but may go easy on the jelly.
I was watching for you to pick Pastor Joan. In her line of work I am sure that 'white lies' are commonplace.
If ever a huge white lie was needed, it is now!
..
One second thought, some drunks have to lie to cover things up. I don't know if Wink has any responsibilities to shield or not?
He can't be married.

I'm still pulling for Pastor Joan, Dr. John. It is more in your hands now than theirs!
..

6:26 AM  
Blogger Finding Pam said...

I will check my post office box today to see if your bok has come. Thank you again for it.

I hate for folks to have to lie.

6:51 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

hello old friend,
today we celebrate Remembrance Day, a day specially set aside to commenmorate all those that lost their lives for us all to enjoy the freedom we do...not that it should only be done once a year,i'm grateful that we do give respect for the unselfishness of so many..

i not only wanted to say hi to you and your beautiful angel and send you both hugs but to say thank you for you have been a very important part of our lives since our lifes crossed path. and in your kindness and huge heart you have prayed, befriended and cared for a stranger that was no longer...i think gratitude comes in many forms and today for me is not just for the fallen but for all who give their hearts in love over to others...it is after all, the same act of love...thank you dear friend...

i'm happy, or i should say even more so, i'm filled with contenment and i laugh and my dimples are often out for display lol....there is much to be grateful for in my life..i have love from a wonderful and kind man who respects me and cares for me and is honest and that for me is tops..i have my kids and their health and all goes forward with them as Jr is now in University!!! and Louise is now a official Life Guard and in gr 11 and healthy!! and Franny is just as adorable and sweet and loving and best of all has the joy of life along with her health...and Bob and Cel are growing with a sense of humor to them that fills our days with laughter and joy and are doing great in school and are healthy..

and let me not forget fur ball lol, Chelo, who is all cuddles and love...

thank you for yours and Betty's prayers, for they have been heard...May God Bless you both and keep you His every second as i believe He does...thank you for being one of His earthly angels to me and so many others....

love and remembering you both always, xooxoxoxooxoxo Chana

7:16 AM  
Blogger Akelamalu said...

It's so nice of your to give away your books Dr. John. :)

9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOOT another contest... :) That is very kind of you my friend. :)

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Alice Audrey said...

Oh no! Are they really going to leave their future in the hands of a drunk?

6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home