Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Windows 7

Today's Saying
Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best. ~Henry van Dyke


Microsoft 7 has arrived.
It has arrived with the usual hype and promises.
As the Apple add points out every version before it came with similar hype and promises.
Will this version live up to the hype?
Will it really be faster and more convenient?
Has Microsoft finally come up with the Cadillac of operating systems?
Tune in to the Microsoft soap “Versions Yet to Come” for the answers.
One thing is for sure it is really selling despite the high price tag.
This can either indicate that people believe the hype or that they can’t wait to get out of Vista.
More than likely it is the later.
There was no such buying when Vista came out. People were quite happy with XP.. XP was after all a fairly decent operating system.
But Vista! Anything has to be better.
My XP machine runs my Publisher 98 wonderfully well. Vista causes it to crash half the time.
Publisher 98 has a remarkable feature of creating web pages with a minimum of HTML code and it is easy to follow code..
Publisher 2002 which I also own produces three times more code for the same web page and it is horribly complex code
Microsoft is aware of my unhappiness and others like me and have built into Windows 7 the ability to act like XP and run those programs..
But in order to get that feature you have to get a more expensive version of Windows 7 ( Home Premium won’t do it) and then get a special download.
You can say this for Microsoft they may not know how to make a great operating system but they do know how to make a buck.
Here is the Microsoft formula.
First make a horrible operating system and get it installed on all new PCs.
Then make a new system that promises to fix all that was wrong with the horrible one.
People will line up to get it.
Second, pay attention to special features people really want. Put these in the new version. But only put them in the most expensive versions of the new version.
Lots of bucks for Microsoft right there.
So I am holding off buying Windows 7.
In fact I’m looking for a discount version of XP.
I might get my son to partition my hard drive so I can run either XP or Vista.
Who needs Windows 7.




It is November 2009 and Pigeon Falls has ceased to exist. Where Pigeon Falls used to be are empty fields.
All records of the town have also vanished.
Teachers at the Consolidated High School remember students from Pigeon Falls but there is no record of them in the school files or the school computer.
The county records office has no record of a town called Pigeon Falls.
Relatives and friends are confused.
How can a town and all its records just vanish.
Where are their cousins, aunts, parents, friends?
Was Pigeon Falls just a dream?
Could it have been stolen? How do you steal a town?
The train still runs through the empty area where Pigeon Falls once stood. The engineer is sure he remembers a town being there.
Ghost Groupies can no longer find information about the Pigeon Falls ghost piano player in their special papers. That too has vanished as have the tickets they bought to view it.
Pigeon Falls is gone.
Up on the mountain and old lady rubs her hands together and laughs. “I did it” she says over and over. “ They will learn never to insult me”.

21 Comments:

Anonymous quilly said...

My new Dell desktop was purchased with XP. I had Vista in my laptop and it ate two motherboards.

I hope that little old lady learns pretty too-sweet not to mess with Pigeon Falls!

1:36 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

Wonderful saying for the day!

I'm still using XP, I've missed Vista all together. I'll wait for Windows 7 until I buy a new computer and it comes as a package.

2:33 AM  
Blogger Jinksy said...

Perhaps the old lady up the mountain was called La Belle Dame Vista, definitely sans Merci ! :)

2:55 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

Ah, man, the old lady is going to regret this.

Tuesday's Tales #1 - John

2:59 AM  
Blogger Dragonstar said...

Vista is a computer killer. When my XP finally gives up the ghost, I'll probably get a mac!

3:36 AM  
Blogger Dulçe ♥ said...

Great saying Dr.
And am happy with my windows vista right now!

5:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been using Windows 7 RC since May. Have had not one problem. Microsoft had done it I believe. Pigeon Falls as never been before. Sigh

5:25 AM  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

When Windows 95 came out, my son called it "Macintosh 87"...I have used Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98 second edition, Millennium edition, and XP. I think I like XP best of the lot and I don't want to give it up. Maybe I will buy a Mac next time.

As we say in the south, Pigeon Falls done fell.

5:59 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

I still have my XP Professional on this computer, I don't think I'll be upgrading to anything new for awhile.

Hey when I got this computer it had Windows ME and I didn't have that many problems. I think Windows 2000 was the best operating system though.

6:01 AM  
Blogger Sandi McBride said...

We haven't yet received our Windows 7 upgrade, but Mac says since he has no trouble with Vista he's not particularly worried about it...

I'm starting to regret that evil old lady on a mountaintop being insulted...Tommy to the rescue!??
Sandi

6:05 AM  
Blogger LoieJ said...

Many in my family have switched to Macs. But my computer guru is a PC guy and he fixes my computer for free, so I can't complain. XP works for me. Millennium crashed more in 1 day than Windows 95 crashed in a year.

6:09 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

This is why I don't like buying new things as soon as they come out. It won't be long before "Newer" "Better" and "Faster" appear. Than I get even more confused.

Remember the days when there were only about three brands of shampoo?
Now I stand and stare at the five thousand different types for several minutes before I choose the cheapest one. Love Di

7:21 AM  
Blogger DawnTreader said...

I have XP on my desktop but Vista on my laptop. Fortunately my brother also installed Ubuntu on my laptop, which makes life a lot easier because unlike Vista, Ubuntu does not take half a day to load and the rest of the day to close. I only start Vista once in a while when I don't actually need to USE the computer for anything, just to let it update itself...

I'm intrigued by the goings-on (or not-goings-on) in Pigeon Falls.

7:23 AM  
Blogger Gattina said...

Honnestly I don't care about the new Microsoft. My XP works perfectly for what I need so far. I wait until Microsoft 20 has arrived, lol (if I am still alive)

7:47 AM  
Blogger aims said...

What? It's gone?????

Windows 7. The Man beta tested it (of course) and it is very good. Far better than Vista was or ever will be.

9:09 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

I have XP on my desk top - Vista on my laptop - and I'm probably the only person on the planet that has NOT experienced trouble with my Vista... yet. But yes - Bill Gates IS a bloomin' GENIUS if nothing else! (however, he is also compassionate and sharing - and so I rather like him on personal level ... on the business level? Not as much!) To me it seems like Microsoft giveth... and Microsoft taketh away! I've used all the systems since Win 3.1 also and it seems as soon as we become "comfortable" with one systems features, the computer DIES, you have to replace it, and the OS you were comfortable with is NO LONGER AVAILABLE. Then the new OS does not have the same features that you knew and loved, and so you wait - anxiously for the next OS to come out. IT gives you back your features, and you're good until your computer DIES again! THEN you have to buy the latest OS that no longer includes your favorite features ... and it is all timed PERFECTLY! The life span of a computer will never allow that you to be happy twice with the same OS! Pure GENIUS!

Dagnabit! I was planning another TRIP to Pigeon Falls... NOW where am I gonna go? Moose County? 400 miles north of EVERYwhere??? Tommy better get this mess cleared up - quick! That little witch is FIESTY!

9:36 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

From everything I have read 7 is MUCH better. I liked my XP. I'm probably going to have to figure out how to get a new puter soon since my harddrive just died and the pc is a dinosaur like me. Money is tight so only time will tell. Till then I'll have to use the daughters' pcs till the kids get home from school every day.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Family Man said...

I'm with you. I beta tested Windows 7, and while it is a lot better than XP, it's a pain that nothing works out of the box again. I used to have vista but became a downgrader and went backwards to XP. It made my life a lot easier. I figue I'll wait a while, and decide later on.

11:54 AM  
Anonymous Alice Audrey said...

It's Brigadoon!

4:03 PM  
Blogger forever lost said...

I am using XP too... and honestly I hate learning new programs. But My Einstein IS the keeper of computer wisdom.

6:41 PM  
Blogger anthonynorth said...

Here, here. I'm more than happy with XP.

1:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home