Wednesday, November 04, 2009

More Books to Go

Today's Saying

My test of a good novel is dreading to begin the last chapter. ~Thomas Helm

My book shelf is full and I've ordered seven new books. So I am going to try to give some away.
.Last week I gave away one. I have added one more to the list. Here are today's five books.


Your choice then of these five( If you win):

Cross Country-By James Patterson

A Patterson style thriller




A is for Alibi- Sue Grafton

A Suspense Novel

.



The Book of Lies- Brad Meltzer

A real mystery book






Dashing Through the Snow- Mary & Carol Higgins Clark

A Holiday Suspense Novel




A Lion Among Men- Gregory Maguire

Another "Let's wreck Oz" book




To win one of these books , your choice, all you have to do is leave a comment and be lucky.
Tomorrow I will enter the numbers 1 through the total number of comments in a random number generator. The number it generates wins. ( No slips and no bucket)
Then I will run the generator again and that person gets the pick of the remaining four books.
I tried the generator last week it works.

So leave a comment and the best of luck.


It has been four days since Pigeon Falls awoke to find itself in 1890.
The people are still getting used to the terrific changes they have had to make.
They can’t call each other on the phone as there are no phones.* They can send letters as they do have a Post Office. Or they could send a telegram to a distant relative. That, of course, is the next problem as they have no relatives to telegraph. All their relatives living in this age are their ancestors . It is very very confusing.
The train still comes in every morning with the milk run but it now carries milk in big cans instead of the big sterile tanks of the future. Pemberthy’s gas station is now a small local dairy. All the cooling for milk here and in the homes is in ice boxes. These contain huge blocks of ice cut from the lake last winter and kept at the ice house on the far edge of town. Every day new blocks of ice are delivered with the ice wagon. Everything is so different.
The train also carries far more ore cars on their way to the docks in Marquette. At this time many of the small mines in an around the Pigeon Falls area are in full operation. They had been closed for so long people in 2009 forgot they even existed.
Mayor Trumble has called for a town meeting to try and study the driblet and see if there is some way to get back to the future.

* A historical note. Until Bell's patent expired in 1894 small town and rural towns had no phones because Bell was not interested in serving them and controlled the market. After that time small independent telephone companies sprang up that did service those areas.

20 Comments:

Blogger Nessa said...

I hope they don't meet their grandparents. That could be trouble.

Wordless Wednesday - Cody's Help and Halloween

2:45 AM  
Anonymous quilly said...

Does Tommy have a flying skateboard? He'll need one and a Delorean to get back to the future.

2:51 AM  
Blogger Dulçe ♥ said...

Yes that's the aim of a good book!

4:56 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Here are fingers crossed. I wouldn't mind reading a Holiday Suspense.

4:57 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Perhaps Mayor Trumble should click he's heels together three time while saying " There's no place like home. There's no place like home, there's no place like home."
It's worth a try, it worked for Dorothy.
Love Di

5:21 AM  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

Is Pigeon Falls way out in the boonies? Because of course there were telephones in 1890. Alexander Graham Bell received his patent in 1876.

Hold A Is For Alibi for me!

5:31 AM  
Blogger Sandi McBride said...

My goodness, Quilly stole my thought, lol! Back to the Future, indeed!!!
And please enter me into the drawing...Mac says, like I need another book!
Sandi

6:09 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

Yea yea yea... no news from the big mouth Eino! HE's the one that got them IN to all this! It would be sorta fun to do this though... for a little while... sorta like living without power through an ice storm for two weeks -- but then you knOw real life is coming back eventually. The folks in Pigeon Falls have NO IDEA when or IF they'll get back! Aiy!

Hope I win a book! Now I have 3 that I want!

7:29 AM  
Blogger Melissa B. said...

I've been looking for a new read. Count me in, please!

10:18 AM  
Blogger Family Man said...

I am thinking the grandparents could be trouble. Perhaps a meeting is not the best idea.

So interesting book choices. Good Luck to all that participate!

12:03 PM  
Blogger Robynn's Ravings said...

Hi Dr. John!

Just wanted to thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment. Books are some of my best friends and I COMPLETELY agree with the quote about the "last chapter." Nice to see you. :)

1:02 PM  
Blogger Finding Pam said...

I would love to win a book, though I could not decide which one I would want.

I think it would be fun to try to live back in the day with out all of the ammenities.

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Alice Audrey said...

The book has already arrived. Thank you!!

3:49 PM  
Anonymous Alice Audrey said...

Those poor people of Pigeon Falls. No internet.

3:51 PM  
Blogger butterflies said...

I could totally live without a phone..but no internet? No thanks!

6:09 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Here, Here, Dr. John. I love Wednesdays even more now because you are giving away beloved BOOKS! And good ones @ that.

Very interesting post. I'm intrigued...

((Hugs & Blessings))
Sarah @ ButterflyChic

6:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Apologies for being so late with the comment. It's been crazy since I got back. OOOO another contest. Well drawing. LOL. I think it would be fun to see what goes on in Pigeon Falls in that time era :)

8:18 PM  
Blogger tsduff said...

I am enchanted with the new way of the days in Pigeon Falls. Always wondered exactly what it would be like to live in the past - you are good at bringing it all to life.

10:18 PM  
Blogger Jeni said...

Sounds like you have some really great books there for your contest. Hope I'm not too late to get an entry for it.

10:40 PM  
Blogger Gattina said...

I know James Patterson and Mary Higgins-Clark, I don't know if I read these books because they are translated into french and the title often is very different.

10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home