Thursday, November 12, 2009

A Favorite Blog -Thom

Today's Saying

You live longer once you realize that any time spent being unhappy is wasted. ~Ruth E. Renkl



It is time to share with you another of my favorite blogs.
This is the thirteenth Thursday that I have done this so I needed to pick out a blogger to receive this dubious honor who laughs in the face of superstition. A person who is not bothered by black cats or ladders . So being the thirteenth on a Thursday will not bother him.
Thom's Place 4 Well Whatever

I almost didn't feature this blog because he has so many readers already that is highly likely that everybody that comes here goes there. But this being my thirteenth blog on favorites he seemed to be the best candidate.
His blog is different.
He remembers and celebrates all kinds of birthdays and events from other blogs.
He destroys memes with answers the meme creator never expected.
He gives out internet awards by the pail full.
He partipates in Raven's Challenge, Quilly's three words, Friday 55, and Portrait of Words. He provides the pictures for Portrait of Words every other time. In addition he enters into anything that comes along that strikes his fancy.
He shares family stories and pictures.
He drives a bus.
And I'm not sure I've even scratched the surface.
If you haven't visited him please do.

The group stared at Herman, stunned into silence as he had just given them the name of Eugene Lepisto as the one who could go to the old woman/witch and save them.
Finally Eino breaks the silence. “Eugene is one of the worst drunks in town. He goes on binges that last three and four days during which time he isn’t sober at all. He opens the Fly Inn in the morning and closes it at night. In the in between time he has his own bottle. I doubt that he is smart enough to lie to anybody, yet alone a witch.”
Herman , almost laughing, says “ That’s the beauty of it he won’t have to lie. In fact he won’t lie. He will tell her the truth. There will be no duplicity. There will be no performance.”
Eino glaring at Herman says “ You told me the truth would keep us here forever. Why would we want him to tell her the truth. Are you crazy?”
Herman laughing,” Your truth will keep us here. His truth will set us free and back home. You see Eino truth is what you believe it to be. If I really believe this town was brought here by a flying saucer. Then that would be my true story. If I really believed that I could take and pass a polygraph test in which that was one of the questions. Personal truth does not have to correspond to the physical world or real truth.”
Eino, now looking confused, “How is Eugene’s truth different from ours?”
Herman responded “ Eugene is a blank slate. We sober him up and we tell him any story we want of how we got here. He will believe it because he trusts us. He doesn’t know the other story because he was drunk during all of this. He is a blank slate. Further we tell him that we are running out of whiskey and only if we get back to 2009 will there be any. Then we explain that he needs to go to this nice old lady and tell her the story and our needs. We need to convince him that he is the only one that can do it without telling him why. Chief Ican needs to lock him up now as a public nuisance and keep him locked up until he is cold sober. While that is happening we need to develop a story to tell him.”
The first winner of yesterday's contest is the 1 st comment. That's what the random generator says.
And the 1 st comment was by :
Quilly
Now I need her book choice and address sent to me at
jlinna@new.rr.com
The second winner in yesterday's contest who gets to choose from the remaining four books is the 2 nd comment.
And the 2 nd comment was by
Boots
Now I need her book choice and address sent to me at
jlinna@new.rr.com
( Please send first and second choice and I will send the one Quilly doesn't choose.)
Congratulations to the winners.
I want to thank all those who took part in the contests. I will do this again sometime next year.
I did check the random generator and the next number generated was not three. Random numbers are random numbers and you never know what it will give you. But a 2 is just as random as all the others.


15 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

Great pick for blog of the week.

3:03 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

I love the saying.

I'll have to check out this Thom fellow. Sounds interesting.

Eugene sounds like the ticket out of the past.

Congratulations to Quilly and Boots.

Thursday Thirteen - Me & Music

3:41 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Thom is a great choice for your Featured Blog.

Congrats to Quilly n' Boots on the win.

4:51 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Hi Dr. John,
I've been having some computer woes as of late. I will stop by when the machine allows me to. I've missed your reading your posts!
Love Di

4:55 AM  
Blogger Dulçe ♥ said...

Great saying OH yes!
And very well deserved award for our dear Thom!

5:51 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

I'm not entirely sure I agree with today's saying. A lot of those unhappy moments are "learning" moments! Or at least we would hope so!

Congratulations to Quilly & Boots!

You know... a super sober Eugene could be a BAD thing to send to the witch. If she doesn't help him RIGHT AWAY he might try to strangle her... and she might turn him into a cockroach! Might be a good idea to give him a hair of the dog that bit him AFTER he has the story and BEFORE he goes to see her!

6:05 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

Ohhhhh... and I'm not sure I'm going to check out your favorite blog this week... I've heard he is a scurrilous scoundrel!

6:09 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

If we get to vote:
1. I totally agree with your Today's Saying. Too many people are unhappy about things that are of little consequence in the big picture.
2. How random is a randome generator that picks # 1 on the list first, then # 2 on the list second? I do wish you'd have checked it out to see what third and fourth would have brought.
My guess is # 3 and # 4. Did you forget to turn it on? Or look at the input list instead of the output?
Or did Eugene, the drunk, get hold of it? BTW, I had Eugene mixed up with Wink yesterday.
3. Congratulations to Quilly and Boots.
4. I abstain from the vote on Thom. I haven't read him enough to be an informed voter. I do know for his favor that he has been smitten by a stuffed elephant for 'good luck.' That shows kindness to animals.
Her name is Ella.
..

7:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

woot!!! Number 13. Who would have thought!! Hmmm A Big Mahalo Dr. John and for the shout out. A scurrilous scoundrel - well at least I do put warning up LOL. Thanks so much. I'm honored and grateful to you for this. 13 is now forever etched into my pea brain. LOL :)

I think Herman is right on target with this thinking, however Eugene I wonder if when he is sober he will be able to think straight. But anything for a hair of the dog I suppose :)

MAHALO Again :)

7:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crap sometimes my fingers move to quickly for the pea brain. Congrats to Quilly and Boots as well.

7:53 AM  
Blogger Maude Lynn said...

Great pick! Thom's blog is excellent.

8:37 AM  
Blogger Cherie said...

Congratulations to Thom! He certainly is a one of a kind. I can't believe that you've been doing this for 13 weeks already. It seems like only yesterday ...

Ah, that idea of personal truth vs. literal truth. It's a concept that I've been wrestling with for the last 10 weeks on a daily basis, and I expect that I will continue to wrestle with it for the rest of my life. ;)

11:08 AM  
Blogger Akelamalu said...

Thom's blog rocks!

12:26 PM  
Anonymous Alice Audrey said...

Herman, you devious creature, you.

8:51 PM  
Blogger RA said...

Great blog choice, Dr. John! I must say that I don't know how Thom keeps up with all those events and memes, but somehow he does in a great way. Congrats on the lucky winners! How wonderful of you. I enjoyed this episode on Pigeon Falls. Have a great week :)

9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home