Monday, November 23, 2009

Pieces of Me


Today's Saying

When our relatives are at home, we have to think of all their good points or it would be impossible to endure them. ~George Bernard Shaw


1. The super pill has had wonderful effects. Breathing is much more even and without pain and I’m needing less oxygen. I’m not sure it will continue when the dosage ends. I am also not sure it is doing what the Doctor wants which is to strengthen the chest and stomach muscles that do my breathing. But I am thankful for the respite in any case.
2. For those who asked I have no idea what the name of the pill is. I do know it is a steroid derivative with oodles of potential side effects. Remember my COPD is not your usual COPD but is caused by the failure of my diaphragms to do their job.
3. Last week I apparently ended up with stomach flue as well and had two days of being really sick. We now think it was some kind of stomach flue because it hit Betty next.
4. My son Pat and his boys came Saturday. Together Pat, Alex ( his oldest) and I built the Manger enclosure for the Christmas scene. Last year poor Joseph kept getting blown over. Three generations working together was really nice. I provided design and direction and they did the building. Too bad we didn’t take pictures.
5. Poor Betty spent Saturday running between bathroom and bed as the flue hit her hard. Thus nobody thought to take pictures.
6. If my strength holds we will be going to Peter’s for Thanksgiving. I’m looking forward to that.


This is the day of reckoning for poor Pigeon Falls. Today the old lady/witch comes to collect her two cows, her wagon, her two horses and $10,000. At this moment after all the money collected yesterday has been counted Mrs. Trumble has announced that they are have $8451.33. Not quiet $10,000.
But it is morning and they are hoping more will come in this afternoon.
If they don’t reach $10,000 they hope the old lady/gypsy will take whatever they do have and send them back to 2009. The general feeling is that she won’t.
But then there is Eugene. The problem is that nobody has even seen Eugene since the old lady/witch announced she would take him instead of the money. He has literally disappeared. A number of people wanted to beg him to save the town. There was even some fear some might try to force him to offer to go “ of his own free will”. But he hasn’t been available for begging or forcing, There just has been no Eugene.
As the time for her to arrive gets closer a little girl has brought in her piggy bank and two unnamed business people brought in money they were holding back in the hope that the total would be raised without them.
The total is now $9563.81. But it still isn’t $10,000.
So the governing group is sitting in he town hall waiting and they are depressed.

20 Comments:

Blogger Gattina said...

That's wonderful that the new medication helps you so much ! Poor Betty, that's an awful flu, I hope she is better by now. From Christmas I haven't seen a single thing yet, because I came back yesterday evening into a very stormy and rainy weather ! Our flight went well only over Belgium it waggled like a dog tail !
Now as I am back, Mr. G happily can go back again on his all year lasting holidays, lol !

1:57 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

I am glad you are feeling better and I hope Betty gets better too.

I bet Eugene is deep in a cave somewhere.

Thanksgiving MeMe

2:54 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Dr. John,
Sorry to hear that you and Betty have been down a bit from the flu.
Hopefully you both will have it out of the way for Thanksgiving.
I also hope that the effects of the pill continue for you.
Love Di

4:43 AM  
Blogger Dulçe ♥ said...

Oh yes. Iam glad to hear everything is geetting on well. I really hope you can enjoy Thanksgiving there.
Hugs

5:05 AM  
Blogger Finding Pam said...

I am thankful that your pill is working and that you have recovered from the flu. I am sorry that Betty had it because it is even harder when both of you are sick at the same time.

I love the visual of three generations building a manager. Maybe you will take pictures of the finished manager.

I hope that Pigeion Falls raises enough money. Those sweet little children with their piggy banks.

May you and Betty have a blessed and happy Thanksgiving Day spent with loved ones.

5:16 AM  
Blogger RA said...

It's good to read that you are getting better, Dr. John. I hope you'll enjoy a wonderful holiday.

5:33 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

So this is only a "temporary" medication then? Or is just a super high dose for starters and then it will be cut back? I'm THRILLED that it's helping so much - and I'm hoping that if you be a good boy and do your exercises and eat properly that your GOOD doctor has this thing covered!

Maybe Eugene is WITH the gypsy witch lady... maybe he has already GIVEN himself to her... maybe they have a NEVER ENDING love for each other and she will actually be such a HAPPY little gypsy witch that she will send them off without it costing them a thing! Ohhhhhhhhhh for a HAPPY ending in Pigeon Falls! Wouldn't THAT be something???

6:01 AM  
Blogger Enchanted Oak said...

Here's to the medicaton working for a good long time. I can't believe you're already working on a manger scene!!!! Hope your strength holds through Thanksgiving. Loved the Shaw quote. I shall remember it next time the family gathers.
Best wishes,
Chris

7:06 AM  
Anonymous Brighid said...

Good to hear your doing better. The flu can be nasty, especially if your system is compromised in other areas.
Someone is going to come forth with their stache to make up the difference in PF. Now what.....

7:14 AM  
Blogger Maude Lynn said...

Thanks for the info about the meds, Dr. John.

Hope everyone is feeling better!

7:21 AM  
Blogger aims said...

I'm smiling that your breathing has been less painful. It's hard to think of a friend in pain and not being able to do anything about it.

The smile was quickly wiped away with news of Betty's flu. It's a nasty thing and I hope you are both over it. It's dangerous and so draining.

I'm afraid I go out of the house these days wearing my mask and latex gloves. I am allergic to any medication for colds etc. and just can't chance getting sick. I don't care that everyone tries not to look at me. They aren't missing anything anyway.

If the witch is going to quibble over some $400 then I'll throw in my saved change. That should bring it up to what the town needs.

9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear that you and Betty had the flu. It's awful. Get better real soon. I'm glad your pill is working as well. I hope you are still exercising as well ;) I think that helps. Keep thinking positive :)

Hmmm maybe she will just take the money they have. It seems to me to be close enough. I think Eugene is already with the witch myself and she is going to return them because he did this. Maybe they fell in love with each other :)

11:41 AM  
Blogger Akelamalu said...

It's good that the new pill is easing your breathing Dr. John. Sorry to hear you and Betty have had stomach flu though. Hope you're both OK now. x

12:21 PM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

I am glad to read that the medicines seem to be helping. I hope both you and Betty will have a good visit with your Son on Thursday.

Happy Thanksgiving wishes for all of you.

2:38 PM  
Anonymous quilly said...

I am so glad you and Betty are on the mend. I had that flu and it is nasty!

I hope your meds are doing what the doctor anticipated. I am praying for you -- selfishly because we want to keep you ... but I am certain your family does, too.

3:24 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Dr. John, I too am glad that your new meds are helping you so much. That flu must have been doubly hard on you. Please keep us posted on Betty. I am guessing she is the turkey lurkying one at the fortress.

Thanks for the report on your condition, I was not familiar with this. And thanks for the report on your son and the boys.
We just can't get our act together for a manger scene outside. We have one inside that stays up all year long.

Poor Eugene. If he is with the witch I do hope she likes him.
My guess is that he has found some powerful booze that he had forgotten. Now that he has found his stash, can they get him sober again soon enough?
..

4:03 PM  
Blogger Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

Dr.J,
Glad the breathing is better.You guys take care over there! That flu stuff is yuckie!
<><

5:40 PM  
Blogger anthonynorth said...

That sounds great medication. I suppose you could have done without the flu, though.

12:59 AM  
Blogger Dragonstar said...

Glad you're breathing is easier, but very sorry to hear about the stomach flu - you could both have done without that!

2:41 AM  
Anonymous Alice Audrey said...

You sure like to keep us on tenterhooks. You're almost as bad as I am.

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home