Friday, November 27, 2009

Friday

Today's Saying

Family quarrels are bitter things. They don't go by any rules. They're not like aches or wounds; they're more like splits in the skin that won't heal because there's not enough material.
~F. Scott Fitzgerald

Click HERE to get to my 55s

What you are about to read leans on the truth and bends it ever so little . But in the process every Friday you will catch a glimpse of me.And I save the cost of a psychiatrist.

1. The new medication is still working wonders but it will soon come to the end of the dosage. ( Stems from that’s all the Doctor prescribed)
2. Has a great Thanksgiving at Peter’s house. ( Stems from loving my family)
3. Got too play some canasta . ( Stems from our strange Thanksgiving custom)
4. Am now walking seven minutes every day on the treadmill and it hurts. ( Stems from the arthritis in the knees)
5. Finally got five things posted to e-Bay that should have been posted a month ago. ( Stems from extreme procrastination)
6. Will not take my precious scooter out on this black Friday. ( Stems from fear that in my greed for a bargain I might run over somebody and get it all messed up)
7. Discovered that Lionel track left sitting in a box rusts . ( Stems from some stupid scientific principle but I hate rust.)
8. I think Monday or Tuesday we will put up our Christmas tree . ( Stems from a need to have it up as long as possible)
9. We have a new train to go around it. ( Stems from getting tired of the one we used every year for the last four)
10.It is hard to find fourteen facts for this segment. ( Stems from leading such a boring life)
11. They took off my NCIS on Tuesday for a local Christmas parade, I’m upset. ( Stems from my preference for mystery over marching bands and stuff)
12. The little Wal-Mart hand held pies have almost no filling and lots and lots of crust. ( Stems from crust being cheaper than good filling.)
13. Have now printed out all of October’s blog entries to send to my sister. ( Stems from her being too stubborn to go on the internet.)
14. Went to wrap Betty’s Christmas gifts but discovered I only had Star Wars wrapping paper . So I didn’t. ( Stems from my thought that Luke with a light saber was not a good wrapping for a Christmas gift.)


Yesterday was a great Thanksgiving Day in Pigeon Falls. The town. Of course, was happy to be back in 2009 and very thankful for that.
There were the usual family gatherings. The usual unreasonable amount of food was consumed. The usual families had the usual family fights. The usual people aren’t talking to each other. It will pass and they will be ready for another round by Christmas. Kids got to see cousins they only see once or twice a year and they played and screamed and like the big people they sometimes fought.
But it was a good Thanksgiving. Nobody got too sick. Nobody had an accident coming or going. There were new memories made and in years to come they will be shared at similar family gatherings.
One could say that life in Pigeon Falls was back to normal.
Today Wink’s Wood’s had its big Black Friday sale. There were some real bargains and the doors opened at 4:00 in the morning. The first person to show up came in at 8:00 and didn’t buy anything. Given when they got back they tried to get by with word of mouth advertising but it apparently didn’t work.
Some people did get up early this morning and took the milk train to Iron Mountain to try the black Friday sales there. They saw on TV that Wal-Mart had some really great morning sales. They hope to come back with a good part of their Christmas shopping done.
In the midst of all of this nobody missed Eugene. But then he had never been part of anybody’s celebration. Thanksgiving dinner had come from the leftovers brought in from the restaurant at the end of the day. Somebody else ate those today.
Eugene was appreciated but forgotten.

12 Comments:

Anonymous quilly said...

The colored Sunday funny papers make great wrapping paper, Dr. John!

Poor Eugene. No wonder he didn't mind staying behind!

1:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am part of celebrations while reading the post. Thankingyou for sharing.

1:52 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Some of these made me chuckle. Glad you had a Blessed Thanksgiving.

4:10 AM  
Blogger Maude Lynn said...

How could you resist the Star Wars wrapping paper?

5:45 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

I always think that your fourteen facts are interesting (stems from my nosy side!)
Love Di

6:09 AM  
Blogger Lou said...

I have stuff for ebay, I just can't make myself get to it. Somehow, ebay is not the same...

Walking on the treadmill is the best medicine. Remember, no pain..no gain;)

7:35 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

I knew Eugene got the best part of the deal staying back! I knew it! I hope it doesn't mess with history too much.

I'm glad you had a great Thanksgiving! Ya had me momentarily fearful with today's quote! :) It's a true one though! Wait til Monday and everybody goes back to work - then go to Walmart and get your gift wrap! It's not worth gettin' killed over! I'm sure Betty will love it - even if it comes in a brown paper bag!

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well if it would have been me the gift would have been wrapped in Star Wars. I'm like that LOL. They just get ripped open anyway. LOL. Glad you are doing better and I hope you continue to exercise, if only a little.

Poor Eugene....I don't want him appreciated and forgotten. Geeze...he helped save PF. :)

10:22 AM  
Blogger aims said...

I'm not feeling sorry for Eugene at all. I bet he's having a lot more fun and is on an incredible adventure of his own - far more of an adventure then going shopping on what the US calls Black Friday. What a strange name to give to a shopping day.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Well, Dr. John, if that new medicine is helping like I think you are telling then I do hope the dr. will renew the prescription for you.

You are a nice brother. My sister got high speed (wireless router too!) so she could read my blogs easier.

I have never had an electric train though I always wanted one. I almost bought a regular one at an after Christmas sale for 75% off but couldn't decide to do that.

I do hope Eugene will live happily ever after.
..

5:41 PM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Star Wars wrapping paper is never inappropriate especially for Betty.

10:28 PM  
Blogger anthonynorth said...

An enjoyable, whimsical post (stems from being an excellent blogger) :-)

1:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home