Wednesday, November 25, 2009

A letter to God

Today's Saying


The family. We were a strange little band of characters trudging through life sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another's desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread that bound us all together. ~Erma Bombeck



A Letter to God
Dear God I know this a perfectly stupid question but Why me?
There were four of us friends that became Pastors .
There was Lanse, Michael, Roy, and I.
Lanse was the go to Pastor. If Synod had a problem congregation on the edge of falling apart they sent in Lanse and he brought your healing and new life. He was very good at that. He had a heart attack not too long ago. He’s gone Home.
I’m still here.
Why me Lord?
Michael was a natural born leader . Everyone looked up to him. We expected one day he would be a Bishop. He died of cancer, He’s gone Home.
I’m still here.
Why me Lord?
Roy loved your Scripture had a real talent for Bible study. He was charismatic. He was Evangelical. He died of some kind of infection. He’s gone Home.
I’m still here.
Why me Lord?
Do you still have some job for me? I sure can’t do much .
I can’t preach any more. I can’t visit or teach.
I could have gone Home four years or so ago . The Doctors thought I was on my way.
But I’m still here.
Why me Lord? Why me?
Was it because the angel you sent to help me on the journey. The one named Betty whose faith held me up all those years. She taught me how to love without conditions. She taught this stubborn Finn to forgive. She loved me to a stronger and stronger faith. Was it because she wanted me to stay for a awhile yet. Was it her request you honored?
Whatever the reason Lord. My love for you grows stronger with the days.
But someday I’m coming Home.
Thank you for loving me.
And still I wonder why me?

“That which never was is gone
That which should be is again. “
All over Pigeon Falls people awoke wondering if they were back in 2009. It was like children getting up on Christmas morning looking to see if Santa came. They were not disappointed. They looked around and saw electric lights, TV, computers, telephones, cell phones, indoor plumbing. It was 2009 they way they remembered it. It was the day before Thanksgiving. They would have much to be thankful for.
As the day went on they discovered a strange thing the rest of the world neither noticed their going or their return. It was as if the entire event had never happened. There were strange , unexplainable gaps in school records. There were pages that were blank in the town records, but there was no real evidence of their vanishing or their appearance.
Somehow relatives in other towns hadn’t missed them. Apparently nobody tried to call them. It was as strange as the trip back and forth itself.
During the day people stopped into Nancy’s and talked of the experience . It was if they just wanted to be sure they were not insane but that others had been there as well. The talk would eventually turn to Eugene and his sacrifice for the entire community. He gave up the modern world so they could get back.. How could anybody do more than that.
Another odd thing was that no matter what they had done back then when they came back to 2009 they had the same money and things as before they left. Not more money and not less.
But they had memories. One man had seen his great grandfather. He would remember that forever.
They learned what it was like to live with outhouses and no cars.
They saw the good and the bad of what used to be
But they were back. They were back. Oh! Great joy . They were back.
They did have a problem tomorrow was Thanksgiving and no preparations had been made. There were no turkeys in the freezers. There were no pies already cooked. There were no plans of any kind. Usually they went to the city and stocked up on everything the week before but there was no time for that now, The little local grocery was soon out of everything.
Mrs. Trumble saved the day. She had everyone who needed anything come to the Town Hall and tell her what they needed and she would have it by 3:00 . She gave the list and the money to Tommy UK and he used his power to transport himself to the big grocery stores in Iron Mountain. There he filled the lists and then transported the good back with his power. People though they were hallucinating. Here was a kid standing with piles of frozen turkeys, canned hams, pies, and other food and then he just disappeared .Being as logical as Eino they simply decided that they didn’t really see that. But everybody got what they needed. There would be food enough for family gatherings tomorrow.
Relatives coming in by train will never know how close they came to eating Thanksgiving hot dogs, without relish yet.

23 Comments:

Anonymous quilly said...

I am so glad Pigeon Falls has come back to the future - -and glad I am first here so I can say that!

Dr. John -- I think you'd be surprised at how much ministering you are doing here on line. You are an internet pastor and you are still doing God's work. And why not you?

1:29 AM  
Blogger Lou said...

What a lovely tribute to your wife. Don't ask why! I look to you for answers!

2:34 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

Beautiful prayer.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving if you celebrate and a Happy Thursday just to celebrate.Wild Turkeys

2:56 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Hi Dr. John,
I do believe that your work here is not done yet. Apparently God had other plans for you! Have a Blessed Thanksgiving.
Love Di

3:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely for Betty, and perhaps for us, too. Dr. John, pastor to bloggers. ♥

Not much has been done here, but we aren't having a fancy Thanksgiving meal, so all will be well.
Wishing you many Thanksgiving blessings!

3:49 AM  
Blogger Gattina said...

I just think you are still needed, that's as simple as that !

5:46 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

You're still here because you are bringing fruit for Thanksgiving....

6:27 AM  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

If you don't try to get your Pigeon Falls stuff published I am going to be one unhappy camper. Publish it yourself if you have to. Because you are the king of cliffhanging writing!

Print the individual parts out, take them to FedEx Kinko's, have several copies bound, and give them to your children or grandchildren at Christmas.

I did this myself a couple of years ago, and although my relatives now look at me strangely, I am happy I took the time to do it.

What do you mean, you can't preach any more?????

6:28 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Good Morning, Dr. John. I am with Dianna, 'God still has work for you here on earth.'
My Dad used to ask why God wouldn't let him die after Mom had died. My answer was above. He was the most helpful man in the neighborhood, a prayer partner to many, a trustee and deacon in his church, on the board of the County Museum, and on and on.
Like you, God has his purpose for you and you are fulfilling that now. Your blogging and your witness on it shows a lot of that fulfillment. Thank you for it.

I was wondering about Thanksgiving dinner for those Pigeon Falls folk. You covered that nicely.
It did remind me of a Christmas play we had in our one-room school about the butcher shop and how he was running short of every cut of meat, the turkeys being long gone.
I was glad when I was old enough to be the butcher. We also have a nice Nativity Play at every Christmas performance. Kids can't do than now.
..

6:40 AM  
Blogger DawnTreader said...

You do preach. You do teach. You do visit. If not "IRL" you still do it your own special way in this strange Blogworld where people come together from all the corners of the earth in constellations that would not be possible in any other way. Strange as it may be who is to say there is not some meaning to it...

Happy thanksgiving celebrations to you and Pigeon Falls.

6:48 AM  
Blogger secret agent woman said...

Bombeck always had a funny way of getting to the heart of things.

As to the why questions, I find the answers aren't usually ours to have.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

I'm pretty sure those other pastors didn't BLOG like you do! And I'm nearly POSITIVE that God sent you to ME... so I'm also pretty sure that there are others in the blogging community that you have been sent to - or still have yet to meet! God KNEW I couldn't DO without you in MY life! He knows everything! THANK YOU GOD for loving ME so much you sent me Dr. John AND Betty!

LOL! YAY! They're back! I hope all those turkeys THAW in time! This is cutting it MIGHTY close! MIGHTY close! Wow... All those ovens going at the same time all day long! Probly all night long too... Pigeon Falls is gonna have a HEAT WAVE for Thanksgiving! :)

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Brighid said...

I amoung many am glad your here, where your needed. You have purpose, and much more work to do.
Ahhh, they got back to 2009, yes!
Have a blessed Thanksgiving.

8:42 AM  
Blogger Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

Todays saying says it all!
Happy Thanksgiving Dr J!
<><

8:44 AM  
Blogger aims said...

I still find it strange that our Thanksgiving has come and gone and you are about to have yours.

Too much turkey - too much dressing - way too much gravy and dessert! Let's not even talk about that.

Dr. J.

Don't ask why. There are reasons. And I think one of them is that you have been sent to us. To learn other things perhaps (like over at my place) and to spread your wisdom and gentle ways - and to love Betty.

Don't ask why. Be happy for every single day you get.

I sure am.

9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why you? Because it's you. :) What a wonderful tribute to Betty. :)

Hooray. PF is back to today :)

Happy Thanksgiving my friend :)

9:44 AM  
Blogger Maude Lynn said...

For Betty. And, for us. Please, don't think that your days of ministering are over.

3:27 PM  
Blogger Sandi McBride said...

Why Dr John...you teach and lead every day that you blog...we learn even from flying dragons...so why do you not feel your worth? We certainly do. I know I do.
Sandi

4:56 PM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

A wonderful tribute to Betty, and you don't need to wonder why by reading all these beautiful comments.

5:33 PM  
Blogger rendall tilden said...

why?
because i need you.

6:05 PM  
Blogger womanwisdom said...

just discovered your site, Doc J, and i am truly blessed!

and why not you? because, i tell you, we are still here...and we do need you...at thanksgiving and always, i thank God for you. indeed, i'm happy you were born during my lifetime!

warm hugs from far-away the Philippines...


weena

11:57 PM  
Blogger hope said...

Because we need you, that's why. :)

You make an impact from your computer just as you would in front of a congregation. And you make us smile. And groan..which is the funny kind, not the sad kind.

You're here because your Angel knew love is a two way street and your earthly angel needs you too.

Have a wonderful Turkey Day!

7:07 AM  
Blogger Jeni said...

Well it's nice to see I'm in such good company with so many other bloggers who see your blog as a great tool for teaching and preaching and showing us interpretations of Christ's work in easy-to-understand analogies!
As long as you keep doing this blog, you will be doing your life's work, just in a different medium. Just because you can't see me face to face as I hear (read) your words through your texts, doesn't make them any less alive for me and shouldn't make them any less in importance either for you. It's a wonderful tool you're using to keep us learning.

11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home