Sunday, August 09, 2009

Tenth Sunday


It is the tenth Sunday after Pentecost and in the liturgical churches using the common lectionary the Gospel is John 6:35, 41-51
I just love Scripture partly because the people you read about there are so much like the people I meet every day.
Here is a group of people who are so sure of the ability of Jesus to provide food that they have come to make him King. They are a very practical bunch and know just what they want.
Then Jesus tells them he isn’t giving out the kind of bread they make in the oven out of flour. He is giving heavenly bread and He is the bread.
This does not please them. They don’t want heavenly food they want plain old bread and fish or even some manna . Everything else is nonsense.
They are a practical lot.
They then begin to grumble. They decide he couldn’t come down from heaven because he is Joseph’s son. They even know the town he grew up in. Some of them even know Mary and Joseph. So they grumble.
It makes no sense all this heavenly food stuff.
So Jesus makes one more try. He says He is better than the manna they keep talking about. He says He can give them eternal life.
In the end most of them will leave in disgust.
In our age a lot of people come to God with their own expectations. They make their demands. God offers them Himself, his love, life eternal but that’s not what they want.
They want to win the lottery.
They want instant healing.
They want a nicer world.
They want and want and want.
God offers but they don’t want what he offers so they grumble and go away mad.
But here and there somebody accepts what He offers and their life changes , forever.
They become new.
They are fed the heavenly food.
They don’t become better than those who walk away. They just become fed.
They don’t become smarter . They just know they are loved.
They don’t get more of the world’s things. They just get a heaping helping of joy.
They have no right to look down on those who walk away.
But they do have a right to rejoice that they have been fed.
I rejoice.

******************************

And I did rejoice this morning with the congregation at St. Mark's. My stubborn daughter had them push her up to the altar area so she could join the Pastor in a puppet sermon. Pastor Steve preached on the Gospel. A very good sermon. The fellowship afterward was as good as always. Finally we have Pennie home and to some degree doing what the Doctor told her to do. She is as stubborn as her old man and look what it got him.

14 Comments:

Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Beautiful Post Dr John, so uplifting.

Thank you for your Prayer, I've been keeping all of you in Prayer as well.

A Blessed Sunday is wished for you and your family

1:59 AM  
Blogger Lone Grey Squirrel said...

A great post. It really made me think about my own expectations and reminded me to be thankful for what God gives which in His wisdom is all that I really need. Thanks.

3:17 AM  
Anonymous quilly said...

Dr. John -- if you are using the Common Lectionary, and our church is using the Common Lectionary, why sometimes do our verses not agree?

We will be focusing on the dispute among the disciples about who was best.

3:42 AM  
Blogger hope said...

Dr. John, you reminded me of why Peter was my favorite...he so wanted to believe and yet he had such moments of "humanity/doubting".

I do believe...even if I have to remember that we work on God's time line, not our own. And that sometimes, that silence we think we hear is just "No."

6:21 AM  
Blogger LoieJ said...

Last Sunday our pastor preached about how the human condition seems to be about complaining. Guess that is right on.

6:22 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

Quilly - I have found that sometimes Dr. John's verses don't agree with ours too... I don't know why! I've thought that sometimes Pastor Paul chooses another verse to fit in with what he's teaching at the moment... ???

Pastor... I LOVE this sermon! I soooo needed to hear this today! Thank you!

6:31 AM  
Blogger Voegtli said...

:-) I have been in "my" church again. Thank you, Dr. Joihn, for this sermoin.

7:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A very uplifting sermon. Thanks you my friend.

8:01 AM  
Blogger Finding Pam said...

I enjoyed your sermon today. It is very timely for today.

11:13 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

Thanks for the lesson. Have a great Sunday.

11:17 AM  
Blogger Dr.John said...

Quilly and Melli- The use of the Common Lectionary does not require a congregation to go with the given text. Both denominations and congregations are free to substitute a different text on any given Sunday.

12:28 PM  
Blogger Melli said...

That's what I thought... but thank you for answering! :)

6:38 PM  
Blogger Garnetrose said...

wonderful post. Very true. No matter what we have, we seem to want more.

8:45 PM  
Blogger Gattina said...

I think if you are really starving you don't care about eternal live or love, you just want to have food in your stomac. Sometimes I think christian religion is only for wealthy people.

10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home