Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Bits and Pieces


If you want to know what it means to be optimist take an example from Farah Ahmed Omar. He was recently appointed chief of Somalia's navy and given the job of stopping the throng of pirates operating off that country’s coast. Omar's job is difficult, though, because the Somalian navy has not a single boat nor a single sailor, and Omar himself has not been to sea in 23 years. However, he told a reporter he was optimistic that the piracy could be stopped. Now that is optimism.

My grandsons, Pat’s Boys , are coming to stay for a week on Friday. If the weather cooperates we will go to the county fair on Saturday. Then next week they will take part in Vacation Bible school at St. Mark’s.

Pennie is slowly healing and getting pretty good with the crutches. She has been using my scooter to get between buildings on the job. Despite all of the problems she is still beaming over the New Orleans experience.

Bree is back home in Green Bay and seems to have enjoyed her time with us old folks.
We hope to either get her and her brother here while Pat’s boys are with us or to make a trip to Green Bay so the cousins can visit.
Perhaps we can get her dad to take them to the fair.

I still can’t believe the gum commercial where the gum company sends a goat to hit a man in the stomach so he will cough out their gum and start a new piece. The idea being that the gum is so good you would never quit chewing it. I on the other hand see a goat hitting a man in the stomach and there is no way I will ever chew a gum that could cause that to happen to me. Not the message they want to send me I’m sure.

Car Insurance adds also continue to delight me. What I can save by switching, according to the Geico add is more than I pay for car insurance. I wonder if I switch if they will give me the policy plus the difference.

Since I wrote this this morning everything has changed.
Pat called and my grandsons won't arrive until late Sunday.
The nice man on TV said Saturday the temperature and the humidity will be high. Not a good breathing day.
So I am off to the fair today. I'll take some pictures.

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So true about the gum and the insurance. Thanks for the update :)

1:33 AM  
Blogger Rinkly Rimes said...

An interesting piece about catching pirates! Did he announce his technique?

2:01 AM  
Blogger anthonynorth said...

That's certainly an interesting case of optimism :-)
The TV ads over here amaze me, too.

2:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

True. Positively always inspire not to STOP no matter what.

3:33 AM  
Blogger Akelamalu said...

Ah you're getting to spend time with your grandchildren too Dr. John! I have just organised the picnic for our trip to the beach tomorrow, we just have to hope the weather is as good as the forecast now. :)

I find some of the commercials better than the TV programmes! LOL

4:58 AM  
Blogger hope said...

So, how did he plan on stopping the pirates...although I can somehow imagine him standing at the docks, trying to talk them out of boarding their vessels. :)

Yep...never understood the goat to the midsection as good advertising. :0

5:31 AM  
Blogger LoieJ said...

You might enjoy this
http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/107451/10-promotional-stunts-that-horribly-backfired.html?mod=career-leadership

5:53 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

YAY! Have fun at the fair! Pennie must have given up the scooter for the day?

Optimism is certainly a PLUS! I DO wonder about those pirates though... (seems so strange in this day and age that piracy still exists...)

6:58 AM  
Blogger Sandi McBride said...

I hope you have a grand time at the fair...and we're waiting for pictures! To bad about the boys late arrival, but high humidity has been our curse of the summer, too...I know what you mean! We've been with Geico since it really was only for Government Employees, lol...about 35 years now...don't look to be changing any time soon!
Sandi

7:21 AM  
Anonymous Alice Audrey said...

Such corrupt optimism. Grrrr.

8:04 AM  
Blogger Lou said...

At least Mr Omar has a job, so he does not have to be a pirate.

9:00 AM  
Blogger Jientje said...

I'm glad Pennie is doing well.

9:08 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

I thought the title of your post was Reeses Pieces. i like them. have fun at the fair.

* * *
Please visit me at The Chrysalis Stage and Esoteric Uncovered.

twitter
facebook

11:44 AM  
Anonymous quilly said...

Geico won't save me anymore money than I am already paying -- because I am paying them!

I hope you have a great day at the fair!

12:48 PM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Enjoy your visit with your Grandchildren. Glad that Pennie is mending. Have fun at the fair.

Blessings Dr John to you and Betty and family.

1:41 PM  
Blogger Russell said...

Always enjoy stopping by your blog. I have been gone for a couple of months but am back -- like a bad habit, I always come back!

Take care.

5:59 PM  
Blogger Baron's Life said...

Have at the camp...yes what you say is so true.....The gum commercial, to me, is disgusting

6:46 PM  
Blogger Cherie said...

Hope that you had fun at the fair. And man, the head of the Somali Navy does have his work cut out for him.

11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home