Thursday, July 30, 2009

Rambling Thoughts

Today's Link
Rocket Ramble

Today's Saying
You can swim all day in the Sea of Knowledge and still come out completely dry. Most people do. ~Norman Juster

Today's Picture
Visiting Granddaughter



Pennie is back to work with the help of my cart and crutches . The Doctor says the pain will last at least ten days and longer if she drives with it or walks on it.

WE went couch shopping and Betty found a new couch for our living room. Not that there is anything wrong with the couch we have other than the fact that the end is close to falling off. She managed to pick the most popular couch on the floor and so ours is backordered until September. The dog and I can enjoy the old one until then.

I have expired. In the eyes of the Patriot Act I don’t exist. We went to open a new account at a different bank and the nice lady explained that because my driver’s license has expired I can’t prove I exist. They would have taken my passport but it has expired as well. I have expired. How horrible. Now we have to find the DMV and get a new license or an identity card. The problem is the DMV office has moved and we don’t know where. It might just be easier to stamp my head expired. Betty can get a checking account . She has a valid driver’s license.

A joke on Thom’s blog reminded me of this old Finnish joke.
TA nuori naaras- epäsuora esitys polveutua Brittiläinen sanomalehti lennättää jotta Suomi jotta kirjailla by artikkeli jokseenkin Finnish palvella sotamiehenä edestakainen polveutua Talvinen Lji. Haastatella ainoa jalkaväki - herra Jussi , hän askedWhen " te johtua koti- , jahka lji aikana , mikä edellä asia te valmis? "" i-kirjain kokoonpantu hurjasti intohimoinen lempiä jotta minun aviovaimo Jussi vastata bluntly.The journalisti poissa puna , ja tried jotta heilahdus subject.After" että , I-KIRJAIN alhainen. Mikä valmis te ajaa jäljessä että? "" i-kirjain valmis se jälleen " hän answered.The journalisti hapantua by edes pimentää hiven -lta red.Other" kuin että! Uh mikä valmis te ajaa jahka te toivoisin olevani päättynyt avulla aivan että? "" i-kirjain ajaa lähettää minun skis ja had kalja "
My Granddaughter Bree thinks this the funniest Finnish joke she ever heard.

I still haven’t decided what to do we the three today’s but come August 1 they will be gone in their present form. I suspect very few people are using today’s link so that may be fully gone.

Our Tthanks to G man who suggested the bird Betty saw and pictured might be a Sandhill Crane. Betty looked it up in a Wisconsin bird book. She says that you can't tell it from her picture but the birds were as tall as her.

As one who loves comments I noticed that the new set up has reduced my comments.

14 Comments:

Blogger anthonynorth said...

I'm in a similar position to you regarding ID. I don't drive and my passport has expired. I don't exist either. What kind of world have we made when who we are has to be documented in this way?
Mindst you, you'll find you DO exist when it comes to paying bills :-)

1:36 AM  
Blogger Jientje said...

Loved the Finnish joke! LOL!
Expired passports and driver's lincences? How odd!
Oh and I love the three Today's. Well the last two anyway.

3:39 AM  
Blogger Sandi McBride said...

Oh loved the Finnish joke...it
is almost as funny as Daddy's Portuguese joke! But his Spanish joke is funnier than that...but no, the Finnish joke has it hands, down! Hope you and pooch enjoy the exquisite comfort that only an old falling apart spring sprung couch can offer! Tell Miss Pennie to mind how she goes and stay off that ankle! Oh, and sorry to hear of your demise...where may we send flowers?
Sympathetically
Sandi

4:52 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

I, too, had noticed that the new set up has reduced your comments... I didn't want to SAY anything though! (as though you might not notice...) It makes me sad too that people who won't make the extra effort to go read Pigeon Falls news, are missing out on it none-the-less... and probably even MISS it though they might not admit it cuz then they would have to make the extra effort to go read it...

I'm with Bree! That Finnish joke was hysterical!

I'm just sO thankful that you've ONLY expired! Do I need to come back to Wisconsin so we can go on a HUNT for the DMV? That sounds like a FUN adventure to me! (and I miss you all madly!)

6:27 AM  
Blogger Voegtli said...

I enjoyed the Finnish joke very much. I could read every word. When I am home next week, I will by a Finnish dictionary to translate it.

7:26 AM  
Blogger Dr.John said...

Anthony- And I exist to pay taxes.
Jientje- The form of the three may change but in some form or another the last two will remain.
Sandi- Glad you enjoyed the joke. Pennie is getting around on my scooter.
Mellli- Pigeon Falls is now a lonely place indeed but interesting.
We are trying map quest for the DMV. But we can't go now because Pennie is using my scooter.
Peter- I put the joke into one of those places on the web that translates by machine ( just for fun). Here is the translation.
"
TA young female indirect speech from a British newspaper send to Finland to write article by Finnish rather serve a man of war, even a return from the winter Lji. Interviews with the only infantry - Mr Jussi, he askedWhen "te due to the home, when lji during which the thing you ready?" "I was made wildly passionate love to my wife Jussi respond bluntly.The journalist turned red, and tried to change subject.After "that, I mean. What did you do behind that? "" I did it again, "he answered.The journalist turned by even a shade of traces of red.Other" than that! Uh what did you do when you were finished using just that? "" I do send my skis and had a beer "

8:06 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

That is the funniest Finnish joke ever.

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh you can't expire my friend...Go find the DMV. Isn't it just to much that even with an expired drivers license they wont take that when you are standing right in front of them. The red tape stymies me.

I was thinking, how are all these people getting that Finnish joke? Am I the only one that doesn't know Finninsh. Thanks for translating. But what I still don't get is how everyone knew it before you put the translation up. Great joke and thanks for the shoutout.

I also noticed your comments Dr. John. People like things I think right out in front of them. They also don't click on links I've come to discover. And when they don't they don't know what they are missing :)

Aloha my friend

10:34 AM  
Blogger Cherie said...

I, for one, click on "Today's Link" most days. You've taken us to many varied and exotic places. But, I imagine that it's tough to come up with new ones every day. Maybe, it could become a weekly feature instead of daily, (or you could just e-mail me-lol).

Good luck with the government acknowledging your existence, but as you implied, I'm sure you'll have no problem convincing the IRS.

I agree with Bree. The best Finnish joke EVER!!! I bet it's even funnier when you hear it out-loud, especially if one doesn't know Finnish. (I may have to test that out. The on-line translator I use will speak it out for you. Though that sounds weird too. lol) But it sounds like you're having a good time with your granddaughter. :)

10:49 AM  
Anonymous quilly said...

Well, I wouldn't miss Pigeon Falls for anything, but you are making me work awfully hard to enjoy your posts.

I am glad Penny is getting around, but I hope she takes it easy. You know, this foot may be God's way of getting her to rest after the youth trip.

1:03 PM  
Blogger hope said...

I've just had a busy week and been speed reading to tell you the truth. :)

I like the look although like Thom, I am "Finnish challenged". ;)

Our state's DMV has an I.D. card which looks almost identical to our Driver's License...for people who simply need an "official" I.D.
We won't let you expire...Sir Laughsalot's life rests in your hands!

3:09 PM  
Blogger KB said...

You exist. We know it!

6:30 PM  
Blogger Gattina said...

You are not the only one who needs a rebirth ! I too ! I needed a new passport and therefore had to bring a birth certificate with tons of other papers. It's only more than 40 years that I always had a valid passport but now they wanted to know if I was born. As my birth certificate is handwritten and in Gothic (!!) nobody could read it, I included. That was the writing under Hitler's times and all the once who lived this time are more or less dead by now in any case they don't work in an administration anymore !

10:48 PM  
Blogger aims said...

I would think they are Sandhill Cranes as well. A very tall majestic bird - found in the strangest of places - like by my brother's.

I'm not not commenting Dr. John. Just not here much and no time to set up wireless at my brother's.

Re - Palin. In some cases she has set herself up to be bashed by those that like to bash people. She opened her mouth and hilarity ensued.

You know the world Dr. J. We are a cruel species. Sad - but true. I say I do not judge - but in truth I do. I'm ashamed when I realize I have but there you go. Ashamed hasn't stopped me from making other judgments as well. I admit it. Then again - I'm human. But I try.

There are certainly many many who run with the ball. I guess Palin is the ball these days.

11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home