Friday, July 24, 2009

Paint the Road White


Today's Link
Hyperenergy and Other Obstacles

Today's Saying
The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not, and never persist in trying to set people right.
~Hannah Whitall Smith


Today's Picture

Today I did a flash 55. You can see it HERE.
Pigeon Falls is HERE.



When you see the following symbol you will know I’m on my Soap Box. You are in store for a rant. With the symbol we frame the rant.

The other day I saw a Noble prize winning scientist on television who said there is something the nation could do now that would negate the effect of all the cars on American roads on Global Warming. We don’t have to wait until years from now when all the measure congress is passing will finally kick in.
Before you jump to the conclusion that I have been watching Fox News again or listening to conservative radio let me assure you I haven’t.
This man in the secretary of energy in the Obama Administration. He is no wild conservative.
He says that what we need to do is paint all the black roofs, black roads, and black parking lots white. This will reflect back to outer space enough heat to make up for what the C02 is holding.
This would be a wonderful time to do it if we really want to do something about Global Warming now.
Why is this a good time?
We have lots of unemployed and we have stimulus money.
We could give the money to the counties and direct them to hire people, give them paint and brushes and put them to work.
We would cut unemployment.
See money fused directly into the economy.
Help slow Global Warming.
We could only win.
But despite the fact that this comes from the President’s Secretary of Energy I predict it won’t happen.
Why?
1. It is too simple. Just too easy to understand. Congress doesn’t like simple.
2. It’s not “ modern”. Paint has been around for a long time. We like new, complex, Scientific solutions.
3. The jobs will only be temporary. True but if the economy starts to move new real jobs will be created.
4. The politicians don’t really care about Global Warming just the power it gives them. No power here.
5. The paint lobby is far too small and didn’t give enough to help elect people.
So we have something that can help. A Nobel prize winning scientist says so. But it just won’t happen
That’s the way the government works.


My daughter is having a great time in New Orleans. If you want to see what her group is saying about the gathering click HERE.

If you want to see the evening celebration click
HERE after 6:00 Central Time

21 Comments:

Blogger Jinksy said...

Great idea, to turn black surfaces white (or silver, I guess?)Would be so symbolic of walking into the light...

2:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful Quote.

4:15 AM  
Blogger Baron's Life said...

Today's Saying
The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not, and never persist in trying to set people right.
~Hannah Whitall Smith Hope you pratice what you preach Doc.
Yup agree with you...we like to read about new complex scientific solutions that don't work...plain and simple

4:49 AM  
Blogger Jeni said...

You know, the painting roads, rooftops, and the like white does make sense -as does your explanation about why the government, in its infinite wisdom, most likely won't buy the idea. And the suggestion you make about hiring people to do this job -sounds like a rerun of the old WPA set-up of the 30s which did what it was intended to do -put a country back to work -didn't it?

7:30 AM  
Blogger LoieJ said...

That quote should be my life-motto for when my adult son calls me. I get too drawn in to his schemes. Then I get upset that he doesn't take my advice.

I heard a report about the white roof tops on public radio. I would think that if the whole world did that, there would be a major climate change. We do know that there is a big difference in the weather when the snow melts early compared to when it melts late.

7:41 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

WOW! I think my only concern about this whole project - should it ever come to fruition - would be can they get NON-glare paint? Can you imagine DRIVING in BRIGHT sunlight on white streets??? Aside from that, I think it's a fabulous idea! Where do I vote?

And by the way... would you REALLY consider not posting fabulous photos like that one every day? Those boys are sO cute! I can HEAR them!

10:11 AM  
Blogger aims said...

Can you send this to President Obama? Or to your Congressman? Or to whomever you send your complaints and thoughts too?

I think it is a fabulous answer.

Question - where do I find my Pigeon Falls now?

10:45 AM  
Blogger aims said...

Never mind Dr. J. I've added Pigeon Falls to my sidebar.

10:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please of please my friend, send copy and paste this post in an email and send it to Obama and everyone in his administration. Excellent. Love the picture of the boys.

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. John...just to let you know. On Pigeon Falls we have to enter a password from blogger. I know you have taken it off everything else, but there we have to. Just FYI

11:30 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Very interesting thought Dr John, I don't know it it would work or not, and to make it work properly all countries would have to come online.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Cherie said...

I echo Melli's thoughts about painting everything white. I think it's a wonderful idea, but my involuntary reaction was fear of being blinded by the glare on the road. lol How about we split the difference and make it a light gray, like concrete? :)

12:55 PM  
Blogger Dr.John said...

^Thanks to all of you . I just got back from being out with Betty and my grandaughter and just don't have time for individual answers.
But if the Secretary of Energy can't get this passed there is no hope for me.
Pigeon Falls has no password. That's some kind of blogger problem.
If just this country did it it would nullify the C02 this country is putting out on its roads.

12:56 PM  
Blogger Head Cookie said...

I like your post very much. I think the white paint is a great idea but your right it won't happen.

2:31 PM  
Anonymous Alice Audrey said...

How long will the paint last while cars are running over it? As to car roofs, mine's already white.

Hey, you are going to put the button to Pigeon Falls in the side bar, aren't you?

6:00 PM  
Blogger KB said...

I love the quote of the day. Very true words.

8:50 PM  
Blogger Gattina said...

That's not a bad idea at all and white looks much better than black. Here they suddenly paint every house in grey which is awful ! I don't know why. Your blog is nice now, I read the post below too.
thanks for the new link !

11:27 PM  
Blogger anthonynorth said...

There are so many things like this that could be done, but never will be, as you say. One day the west may begin to be ruled by commonsense instead of the latest ideology.

12:58 AM  
Anonymous quilly said...

I have a great idea -- everybody who read this post should run out and paint the section of the road in front of his or her house white. You first, Dr. John!

2:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a very interesting idea that I haven't heard before, but one other thing that stand out to me of why it won't happen is because painters aren't paid very much. The pay might be acceptable in some areas for some people, but the people that have lost their jobs recently in my area were paid much higher wages. If they took such a job just to have work they would loose their unemployment benefits.

7:13 PM  
Anonymous Armyguye said...

So should every white person run out and paint the nearest black person white? Think of all the Global Warming that black skin causes. Black skin has been around longer than asphalt.

6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home