Monday, July 27, 2009

Brag a Bit

Today's Link
Bug's Eye View

Today's Saying
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia

Today's Picture
_____________Our Youth Return______________________________
The creator of this blog is about to brag. This is the warning required by truth in blogging.
___________________________________________

I am so proud of my Church the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and that's something this critical old man seldom gets to say.

But the Youth Gathering in New Orleans was the very essence of what God has called the Church to be. Here's what Bishop Hansen said of it in his invitation to the gathering:


Eleven youth from St. Mark's , my congregation, along with three counselors accepted the invitation. They worked hard to raise the money to go.

They experienced learning, fantastic worship, and a chance to serve the area in the name of Jesus.
This is what one of our young people said:

Wow to much to say about today, one word to sum it up i think could be hope.
Hope is very important to not only this area at this time but to everyone all the time.
The people of New Orleans and the youth that gather here have hope, hope for a new and brighter future.
Today was our service day and we were assigned to clean a highway and an old ladies house.
Not going to lie the negatives, like hot weather, cranky people, and mosquitoes sucked.
Those negatives were easily outweighed by the heart warming feeling you get when you help someone you know cant do anything to help herself or her situation.
So yupp today was awesome

Every night by the wonder of the internet and streaming video we were able to share in the worship experience.

For once we did good.

I am so proud.

Click HERE for Pigeon Falls

8 Comments:

Blogger Melli said...

I'm proud too! Even though you're that "other" synod! :) I'm also quite certain that your church does GREAT works often! But I did get the chance to watch some of the worship services - not all the way through - but I caught portions - enough to know that there was some AWESOME worship going on down there! I LOVE that! And I'm glad the kids got the experience of truly helping and giving to another being in need! What a GREAT thing!

5:36 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

WHERE IS EVERYBODY today? I feel like the internet has gone WONKY and nobody told me!

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is wonderful Dr. John. I enjoyed the video I must say. Very good speaker :)

9:48 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Wow...you are not proud often so now I want to go to a conference.

11:17 AM  
Blogger Cherie said...

So glad that everyone had such a great experience. :)

11:45 AM  
Anonymous quilly said...

Passionate worship and life changing service -- that's service that changes both the server and the served. These kids got a taste of sharing the heart and hands of Jesus. What a blessing!

12:39 PM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

I am happy that you are Happy Dr John. I enjoyed the message on the Youtube video Bishop Hansen. Here's to a new and bright future.

12:55 PM  
Blogger Maude Lynn said...

I'm really glad that the kids had good experiences.

9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home