Monday, August 03, 2009

Pity Poor Me

Saturday I had a bad day.
Yes, Dorothy, Christians have bad days.
It started off very good. My oxygen was up and breathing was good.
It was Saturday and I planned on getting out of the Fortress which I usually do on Saturday.

That’s when Betty told me we would he to wait for Pennie to come back from Church because she wanted to go with us.
We had to pick her up when she was ready because she still wasn’t able to drive.

So I was stuck there.
I sat and mussed and the longer I waited the worse it got till the musing became a full scale pity party.
Pity poor John stuck in the Fortress.
How horrible.


Then Pennie called and we went to pick her up.
She wasn’t ready but she had a list of things for us to get.
Now she wasn’t going shopping with us.

We waited all that time. Grrrrr.

Worse , when Betty took her to work she took out the thing that held my oxygen bottle in the car so she could charge her cell phone from the cigarette lighter.
Now the tank kept falling over.

Pity me.

Now I was angry with my daughter who is on crutches and in pain but pity party people don’t think they react .

So when she got home I let her know how unhappy I was.

Now, she had spent the day at Church working with the youth group on Sunday’s service and was not at all ready for an angry father. Besides she was in pain.

In the middle of the confrontation I suddenly saw that I was having a pity party and I told her so.
Sometimes God lets you see yourself just in time.

Then the picture of the kid with the spaghetti on his head and the words “ This is the Day the Lord has made let us rejoice and be glad in it” came back to my mind.
God’s joy returned and the pity party ended.

If only I had turned in prayer when it began.
If only I was only Saint and no longer sinner.

But God accepts me as I am even though I failed to show what a real Christian was like.
How wonderful is that.

Just in case I missed the lesson. These are words from the song the Youth Group brought us in Church yesterday

All I need's another day
Where I can't seem to get away
From the many things that drag me down, yeah
I'm sure you've had a day like me
When nothing seems to set you free
From burdens you can't carry all alone
In you weakness He is stronger
In your darkness He shines through
When you're crying He's your comfort
When you're all alone, He's carrying you

I get down, He lifts me up
I get down, He lifts me up
I get down, He lifts me up
I get down
I get down, He lifts me up
I get down, He lifts me up
I get down, He lifts me up
Everytime I'm down the Lord lifts me up

One of those wonderful little coincidences Thom.
Just the right song for me.
Praise God for wonderful little coincidences.

17 Comments:

Anonymous quilly said...

Dr. John -- the older I get, the easier it is for me to see my own faults and -- thankfully -- confess and apologize for them. Still, like you, I have my days when I don't notice soon enough. I'm glad I'm not alone.

2:16 AM  
Anonymous Dulce Rosales said...

Now I understand...Awful Saturday yes you had.
I like the new picture of your profile. I'd be honoured if it was in the list of my followers.
Leaving home now.
'See' you in a week!
Dulce

2:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Father used to say : God has sent us And he knows how to take care of us. Do not worry.

3:53 AM  
Blogger LoieJ said...

I was tired out from Bible School, even though my part in it was very small, and then I read yesterday's Epistle lesson (I was lector, and practicing for Sunday) and it came to me: the scripture was fulfilled!

6:17 AM  
Blogger Gattina said...

Yes, (sigh) there are days you better stay in bed !

6:51 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

And what did Paul say? Give THANKS for our pain? Give THANKS for our suffering? Yes! Give thanks! So glad you got your BAD day turned around!

You and Pennie are BOTH good eggs. One of you has a harder SHELL than the other! But you're both good eggs!

7:16 AM  
Blogger Voegtli said...

Well, sometimes days are not as good as others.

7:56 AM  
Blogger Cherie said...

I'm sorry that your weekend wasn't the best. I was a bit emotional yesterday, myself. How great is it that God takes care of us even when we're being irrational and unreasonable. :)

8:18 AM  
Blogger Cherie said...

P.S. And I'm so glad is "bed-bug free." I hadn't noticed that before, not that I was worried. ;)

8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear of the bad Saturday. but I'm glad it turned out well. Point well taken my friend. If I could only get past the fact that it wasn't you that saw the change from deep within your soul. I'm getting there I will say. Have a great week :)

8:36 AM  
Blogger Akelamalu said...

We all have bad days Dr.John and because we're human we react in ways that are not always good.

Just for Today I will not worry
Just for Today I will not get angry
Just for Today I will count my many blessings
Just for Today I will be honest
Just for Today I will be kind to every living thing.
(The Reiki Precepts)

11:13 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

This was such a wonderful story. A reminder for me to get beyond myself. As you know, i am prone to pity parties. I will try to pray at the beginning instead of at the end.

* * *
Please visit me at The Chrysalis Stage and Esoteric Uncovered.

Follow me on twitter and facebook

11:45 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

I know exactly how you feel...I am waiting all the time for people and get upset when it takes longer then expected. It's never a few minutes either, it is always hours later to the point where I don't want to go anymore. Don't beat yourself up because your time is valuable too!

11:52 AM  
Blogger B.R.L said...

NIce story..THanks for having the song from the service on st.marks website...I like it...
Brea

1:49 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Have a better day tomorrow!

4:55 PM  
Anonymous Alice Audrey said...

The only one who likes a pity party is the one throwing it. Good of you to see and correct.

5:03 PM  
Blogger SouthLakesMom said...

Thank you for sharing your humanity -- it allows you to also share your testimony and faith. Good thing to know it was forgiven before you even indulged it!

Our pastor preached on Psalm 8 this week...if you get frustrated this week, I recommend opening it up again. Blessings Dr. John!

5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home