Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Bad Adds?

Today's Link
The Dackel Princess

Today's Saying
No matter how long or how you tickle a dead horse it still won't get up- James Lanyon ( Sayings on the economy)
Today's Picture

And Winter Goes On-March 10

Sometimes I wonder if the people who write TV adds realize what they are saying to people who are as skewered as I am.
Do they understand that their add which is supposed to sell a product causes me to promise myself I will never use it.
Now I don’t watch a lot of TV just my two soaps and what comes on during my breathing treatments but I have seen enough to put four products on my never use list.

Lets start with that stupid coffee. People drink it and then they have to rush out , climb up on the roof and scream about it. Not just one nutty person but a whole neighborhood so it has to be the coffee. Well folks I am afraid of heights . I am not about to do or drink anything that will cause me to climb up on the roof. I guarantee you that. Scratch one coffee.

Then there is that gum commercial. The idea is this is a gum whose flavor lasts forever. I might buy that gum. But how do they sell it? A poor guy is walking down the street chewing the gum. They have a goat hit him till he spits out the gum and they grab the gum and run away. But it gets worse. In the next commercial the guy hasn’t learned his lesson and is still chewing the gum so they send this bruiser to hit him in the gut to make him spit out the gum. They grab it and run away. Now I don’t know about you but my life is rough enough I am not buying or chewing a gum that is going to get me socked in the stomach or hit by a goat. No way. Scratch one gum.

Now I’m a grandpa and a sucker for commercials with grandparents in them. In an air freshener commercial they show people getting ready for a visit from grandma. They spray the house with this brand air freshener. Then grandma comes. She smells the air. She ignores the grandchildren who want to be hugged. She smells the curtains. She ends up on her knees smelling shoes. Oh! II love my grandkids . I want to hug them ( nobody else just the grandkids) . I do not want to get down on the floor smelling shoes. My son would be calling nursing homes looking for an opening for me. Trust me I do not want that air freshener any where near me. Scratch one air freshener.

Finally there is the insurance add. I really do want an insurance company that will save me money. I do want one that has been in business for a long time. I want one that can be trusted. What I don’t want is one with a crazy or senile CEO. In this add the CEO is going to show us trust by falling back and having a gecko catch him. The end result has to be smashed gecko and such a talented one. What a waste. I can’t buy insurance from a company with such an idiot CEO. Scratch one insurance company.
TV adds are so helpful in teaching me what not to buy.

News from Pigeon Falls
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal
Never has there been a little town with so many happy people. All the snow has gone and the tulips are coming up faster than ever. People are walking around smiling and singing. There is not a cloud in the sky.

Petrovich’s microfilm reader suddenly started to work again and he translated a driblet at record speed then posted a copy at the town hall. Here is that driblet, number 500:
Again I was in the city of the birds
Everybody was happy
The winter passed away
Good things happening
Flowers bloomed
People sang
It was wonderful
The little man clapped his hands and laughed.
If only it could last forever.
Seldom do I have such nice dreams.
Today I don’t need a drink.

Several more people bought rub off lottery tickets and won everything from a Florida Vacation to a $1000.
The clinic reported that only regular scheduled visits were taking place. Nobody was calling in sick and the waiting room was empty because everybody was being seen on time.
After School Tommy UK and Tammy walked hand in hand obviously very much in love again.
Life in Pigeon Falls could not be better.

Wrap UP
It was an interesting day. It started with very low temperatures and high winds. The neighbors put their garbage out early and it blew all over our yard. In the afternoon I went to my lung Doctor. I had a test and discovered there had been a slight improvement in my lungs since the last visit six months ago. This was good news for two reasons until now every visit had seen more loss of function. I didn't lose any. This is the first time I gained. Praise God.
When I came home I visited all those who left comments yesterday . Then it was off to Church. Great fellowship and a great service. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
***************************************

23 Comments:

Blogger Nessa said...

I dreamt of learning Russian last night. I think it is your fault.

I think that geiko is abused.

4:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

LOL...really funny and true post. I didn't understand the Coffee one as well.

I mean, shout it from the roof tops, I get, but it is still stupid.

4:26 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

Well... I only recognize the Gecko... so I guess I still don't know exactly which products you're banning! But they all sound like fabulous reasons for banning... I don't use the Gecko insurance - because I DID use the Gecko insurance... and they were HORRID!

WOW! Perhaps Petrovich should hurry up and finish translating that OTHER driblet while his reader is working well... and things are going RIGHT!

5:24 AM  
Blogger Russell said...

Enjoyed your post as always. Yes... I had to laugh at the plight of the poor gecko as the man is falling backwards!! Goodness!

Every time I see those commercials I think about visiting my brother when he and his family lived in Hawaii. These little lizard like animals were like crickets in Iowa - or maybe grasshoppers... They would scurry up the curtains or across the floor.

I soon learned they were geckos and completely harmless. But they do give you a start if you are not used to them!

Take care.

5:41 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

I love that one with the Gecco and the CEO falling "trust test" on him.

6:23 AM  
Blogger Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

I so agree with you on the TV adds-people get paid for this stuff you know?

8:07 AM  
Blogger LoieJ said...

My son and I used to see some of the restaurant commercials and ask each other, "Does that make you hungry? Do you want to go and buy that food?" Usually the answer was, "NO" because the people eating the food looked like lazy lumps who had no ambition.

8:17 AM  
Blogger Gary's third pottery blog said...

more snow for ya, hmm? My sister lives in Bemidji, Minn and I guess they got clobbered, although it is usually dry there....

9:01 AM  
Blogger Gattina said...

For the moment they make advertising for a funeral insurance ! I assure you I didn't take it !

9:34 AM  
Blogger aims said...

I'm with you on those commercials Dr. John. There are so many that just make me cringe! What about the gum commercial where the guy's mouth sings 'Thank you' all over the place. I can't have that happening to my mouth!

It was -40C here last night and colder with the wind chill.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Oklahoma Girl said...

Ah yes!! Commercials. They are the reason I Tivo everything I want to watch & fast forward through them. Too ridiculous, too much of an insult on intellegence.

I am especially creeped out by the talking baby ones. I think they sell stocks. Too weird!

Have a wonderful week.


Blessed be...

9:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never buy rub offs which is why I don't win :-). I feel you about ads. I don't have a TV now but when we did my Mother felt that way also. I remember one ad with a dog running thru a field after eating a certain dog food~its whole body glowing. Both Mom and I thought it denoted a nuclear accident and said we'd never buy that dog food.

All that PR done to entice you, but yet it has the opposite affect. They'd hate to know that!
~Mary

10:01 AM  
Blogger Cherie said...

Well, you certainly learned one thing when watching your soaps, the effectiveness of the teaser. And now you have a ticker to entice us to come by to see your antics. I probably would come by anyway, but now it's with a sense of eager anticipation. Hope you're having a good day. Now, I'm going to try to write a poem. You've inspired me. :)

10:45 AM  
Blogger Bazza said...

Like you Dr John, I refuse to buy products if the adverts annoy me. You are not alone.

10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell Russell tht most of the lizards in Hawaii are Anoles, not Geckos, though there are a few geckos. And OC reacts the same way to commercials. There are many products he shuns because of their marketing techniques. I don't watch TV, so I don't have the problem.

11:16 AM  
Blogger juliana said...

my remote control is very busy when the commercials are on. some are really hitonious!

11:46 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

I don't watch that much tv either, and what I do I just ignore the ads. I can't think of anything that was advertised on tv I had to go out and get right away.

Oh I wouldn't tickle a dead horse either.

1:31 PM  
Blogger Akelamalu said...

Of course I don't know any of those commercials but that doesn't matter because we have some supremely irritating commercials here too!

2:36 PM  
Blogger B.R.L said...

FUNNY!
Brea

3:19 PM  
Blogger Carletta said...

I agree with you about ads! I have taken to taping my shows and then fast forwarding past the commercials. I have found there is very little showtime. I think many folks would be surprised.
Who would want to chew somebody else's gum anyway!
Glad to hear your lung Dr. visit was a good one.

6:39 PM  
Blogger Pat - Arkansas said...

Somehow I must have missed the gum commercial, but the products touted by others you mentioned I can name. Silly, silly commercials! I don't drink that brand of coffee and probably never will; for the time being, I do carry my car insurance with the Gecko (I love his Aussie accent); and, I have been known to use the fabric freshner, but have never, ever gone to the extreme of smelling the places I've sprayed!

I very much enjoyed your post today, Dr. John, even the Driblet.

6:41 PM  
Blogger Jeff B said...

Great news about the improvement in your lungs. Three cheers for Dr John.

7:37 PM  
Blogger Voegtli said...

Well, of the four ads, I would not be able to buy the insurance. Because I climb the roof, I would by all means fall down, and then be a prey to be hit in the belly to spit the gum out which, after having painfully reached my home, on my legs, would make me faint smelling the air freshener. And that is why the insurance company would call me a "risk" and refuse to insure me.

PS. On my blog you might find a new home for you.

8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home