Thursday, March 05, 2009

Quilly's Words-Stange James

Today's Link
Knotty Mouse

Today's Saying
Language... has created the word "loneliness" to express the pain of being alone. And it has created the word "solitude" to express the glory of being alone.
~Paul Johannes Tillich, The Eternal Now


Today's Picture
Me and Childhood Snow

It is Thursday and time for Quilly’s Words. Todays words are apanthropinization; paucity, and zither.
Here is the story with those words and a little help from Nessa.

Strange James
The hermit Strange James was as good an example of apanthropinization as you could find anywhere. He lived in a cave at the middle of the Weald of Kent and he could tell the difference between a squirrel and a gravid squirrel when he was still far from the tree. And he could tell the difference between the teterrimous odors of bear and deer droppings without seeing them. He had given names to thirty five different folioles which he could identify on sight. The names, however , bore no resemblance to the names given those same leaf structures by botanists. It was clear that he knew everything he needed for the life he had chosen while he meditated on the nature of the universe. All that he had from his former world was his zither on which he composed mellifluous songs to help in his meditation.
So when the day came and he finally knew THE ANSWER to life’s most perplexing problem he found himself with a paucity of information concerning life in the human world. He had THE ANSWER and he needed to share it with something more than trees and gravid squirrels. But how could he do it. This was more of a problem than the nature of the universe itself.
He tried to remember what it was like in that human world. He could remember examples of quondam opprobrious behavior of philosophers that used such casuistry as would make a Jesuit proud. He had no intention of doing that. THE ANSWER deserved a straight forward simple explanation. But how did you do that among humans?
Finally he decided he would write THE ANSWER as a song. This he discovered was not very easy because though the concept was simple fitting it into a song was not. He thought that words in the song still need to rhyme like words in a poem. His time in the woods kept him from knowing that things had changed and songs didn’t even have to make sense. If he had known that he might have finished the song. As he tried the results became more and more horrible finally reaching hitonious.But it was not in his nature to quit.
Now if you want THE ANSWER to the nature of the universe Strange James has it. You can find him in cave in the Weald of Kent. He will be trying to write a song . You will hear his zither long before you see him.
If you ask he might just tell you THE ANSWER.
All I know is it isn’t 42.

And now for something completely different: quivel.
Quivel is poetic drivel written with Quilly’s words in mind.

Song of a Duke
The apanthropinization of the Duke began
When he killed his very first man
With a paucity of human kindness
And a clear moral blindness
Really good at splitting heads
And throwing damsels into beds
A man is known by what he does
More animal now than man he was
But still troubadours played his song
Saying in heaven he did belong
Upon a zither songs they raise
And make him worthy of great praise.
The singers lie and lie and lie
From the grave his victims cry
Demanding to know why oh why
They sing his praises to the sky
Quivel by Dr. John

News from Pigeon Falls
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal
Tommy UK skipped school today as his rash and itch were driving him crazy. The only place where he was free of it was in Nancy’s Coffee Shop. He had tried holding the rock and commanding the itch to go away but that didn’t work. He knew he had to go back to the leprechaun to get his curse lifted. He was not happy about that because he could have taken the whole pot of gold but had been nice to the little guy and now he does this to him. So he left Nancy’s took his rock in one hand and a rock he brought with him from the weald in the other he willed himself to the place the rock had come from.
He found himself back in the clearing but the pot of coins was gone as was the leprechaun and Tommy had no idea where . In desperation he took his rock in one hand and the half a saffron bun from Nancy’s in the other and willed himself back to Nancy’s. He went inside where he could think without scratching. This was one of the most difficult problems he had ever faced. How do you find a leprechaun who doesn’t want to be found. He had to solve it or itch forever.

Wrap UP
I had a good day. Read some great blogs that wrote stories using Quilly's words. I enjoyed them all. Took another look at the wordzle words and now I'm sweating. Took time away from the computer for Betty and I to make saffron buns. They turned out very well. we tried a new recipe. Then I visited the twenty blogs that left comments yesterday. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
***************************************************************

20 Comments:

Blogger Jinksy said...

I think 42 is certainly the answer - One for All and All for One, plus two heads being better than one, go together to make 42 in my book...

3:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That picture is proof that childhood memories of winter are not overblown.

3:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Superb story Dr. John! Your picture looks like Ohio THIS year.

5:11 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

Oh you had TOO MUCH fun with these words this week! And how do you DO it on such short notice? WHEN did you get the words for NEXT week from Quilly? Are you staying up ALL night on Wednesday nights??? That's amazing! I loved the story and the quivel! LOL! And I wonder how many MORE made up words will show up this week...

Oh! There's one in the word verification! HOUTTED - just give it a definition and off you go!

Oh here! I'll help you out! That is one HOUTTED predicament Tommy UK has found himself in! I hope he finds the solution!

5:51 AM  
Blogger Caution/Lisa said...

I'm guessing that no snow blower was used to make those mountains? Someone surely had a strong arm (and probably a sore back!)

7:11 AM  
Blogger Pat - Arkansas said...

Love it, Dr. John! And... I now know what "Quivel" is! Clever person!

BTW: the word verification given for this comment is "hablopoo." I guess in Spanish that's "I speak poo." :)

8:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quivel is a city on Peru. I do not see it on your post.

Melli must not have read my entire post of she would know next week's words.

And -- you are still the master at making all these weird words do an abundance of tricks.

Well composed!

10:19 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

I love being alone.

You created a very entertaining story and you through in some new words of your own, too.

Excellent.

Ps: Are you sure the answer isn't 42?

10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful story. Perhaps Strange James can go and look for Tommy UK leprechaun and together they can both get the answers they need.

10:40 AM  
Blogger Raven said...

Standing up and applauding! Bravo! Bravo! Brilliantly done! And you even referred to the Hitchiker's Guide! I love it! And you're so mega clever that you have already used NEXT week's words. Whew!

10:48 AM  
Blogger Sandi McBride said...

Isn't that a picture of everyone's "boyhood home"? I love it. Great work here...but I'm sure you know we expect it from you!
Sandi

11:03 AM  
Blogger aims said...

Alone and solitude - lovely.

Since HG I have always thought the answer was 42. Now I'm wondering what it could possibly be. 41?

11:04 AM  
Blogger Carletta said...

Exceptional writer my dear Dr.John!
Loved the poem!
I remember playing in huge snows like that growing up. I actually miss seeing lots and lots.

I know you had said you weren't going to watch All My Children after Greenlee's demise but I hope you saw her memorial today. I had tears and Opal felt Greenlee calling to her. Oh those writers.

11:27 AM  
Blogger juliana said...

i have no idea how you do it but this stuff is absolutely brilliant!

11:40 AM  
Blogger Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

Lovely picture but I have had enough of the snow! I think those days without power did me in!

12:37 PM  
Blogger Cherie said...

Now, THAT's some snow! :)

2:52 PM  
Blogger Russell said...

Enjoyed the picture of the snow from your childhood! NOW I know why it seems the snow was SO deep when I was a child! We were a lot smaller so everything looked bigger!! I was looking at the photo of you and the adult and the differences in size is so apparent.

When I was a child I thought our back yard was HUGE! Of course when I visited that same yard as an adult it seemed, well, so small! Everything is relative.

Take care.

PS But, the reality is, of course, that big is still big and our yards and piles of snow were, in reality, BIG to us!

3:37 PM  
Blogger butterflies said...

Beautiful clean snow! Oh I wish it was here!! Its SO hot in NZ that we have a plague of crickets chirping all day and night and squeezing their horrible black bodies in through every crack they can..I can wait for winter to kill off all the bugs.
My mother unplugs things all the time cos she thinks they use power..its so frusturating.I thought it was cos shes almost 80 but maybe not...
Breathe easy..

6:28 PM  
Blogger Alice (in BC Canada) said...

As always, Dr. John, I have totally enjoyed reading your stories. Maybe I will journey to find Strange James... just as soon as I can raise the money to cover traveling expenses. The quivel is awesome!!

9:09 PM  
Blogger The Superfluous Blogger said...

I really enjoyed Strange James' tale. Quite a fitting name for a man with such a discerning nasal ability. I'm going to GO to the Weald of Kent tomorrow, so I will check on the song.

And the Quivel. Lovely.

But had I known Pigeon Falls was your basement town? I'd have been here lots sooner. :)
Fantastic.

Very entertaining, sir!

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home