Thursday, February 26, 2009

A Super Hero-Quilly Story

Today's Link
Big Blue Barn West

Saying for the Day
Men are probably nearer the central truth in their superstitions than in their science.
~Henry David Thoreau


Picture of the Day
Another day , another look at our kitchen counter
The high cost of repentance

It is time for another three word Quilly story.
And the three words are:
opprobrious,
quondam, &
casuistry.
Click on the word for a definition.
I am a Super Hero. I know I’m not the best Super Hero around. I know I have been accused more than once of opprobrious conduct but think of the scum I have to fight. It is my task given at a quondam time to keep the world safe from evil dragons and demons. To carry on this fight I have only my faithful miniature dragon Doris, my magic staff, and the ability to see through the most convoluted casuistry as the nonsense it is.
I know that people were upset when I turned those demons posing as Jesuit priests into pillars of salt. A bit theatrical , perhaps, but certainly not opprobrious behavior. I mean how much casuistry can one put up with. I just decided to take it with a grain of salt.
I wasn’t always a Super Hero. At a quondam time I was just a drunk. Then I found that parchment and when I sobered up I read the Latin words out loud. The lightning hit me and I became the Mighty Walking Wizard. Now I even have my own comic book. Those are powerful Latin words.Despite the paucity of Super Heroes today I am sometimes helped by Harpy whose weapon is a magic zither than can put anyone to sleep. Of course he has four arms , two heads , and is purple another step toward the apanthropinization of humankind.
I can go back to being a drunk anytime I say the Latin words out loud and backward. Being a drunk is a wonderful secret identity. You become part of the volgivagant crowd. You can stop playing the isangelous hero. You don’t even have to be good at anything.
The only problem with this Super Hero thing is the green skin . People have trouble relating to wizards to begin with and the green skin doesn’t help any. I wonder if I’m mispronouncing one of the Latin words.
I still remember the look on the faces of the Secret Service agents that figured I was an alien because of the green skin. I was in Washington because a demon , posing as a human, had at a quondam time used demon casuistry to get elected as a United States Senator. It was now involved in the most opprobrious conduct even by Senate standards, part of the cynicocratical bunch. In any case the agents had me surrounded with their guns drawn expecting a fracas. I thumped my staff on the floor and disappeared. One of them was so upset he even gave up drinking took up nusimatics, I think. I sent him a copy of the comic book.
Then my dear perspicacious Doris and I sent the demon Senator back to its starting place. The rest of the world saw him die in a plane crash. He was replaced by some governor with one of his lovers but at least she wasn’t a demon.
So rest assured Doris and I are standing guard. The world is safe.
Be nice to the next drunk you see. It could be me.

News from Pigeon Falls
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal.
Poor Nancy slept last night at the Coffee Shop. At least she was free of the rash and the saffron buns weren't moldy.
She had to figure some way to get the coin back to the Leprechaun and end this nonsense. But how does one do that. The leprechaun can’t come in because of the poltergeist and she was afraid to go out. She could open the door and throw the coin out but somebody might pick it up and the leprechaun would be after them. She couldn’t do that to anybody. So she was stuck. Perhaps when Tommy TW comes back from his latest book signing tour He’ll have some idea on how to get his wife out of this mess.
Tommy UK was not having a much better week. He really wanted to talk to his lawyer uncle about his adoption but when he called to set up a meeting his uncle explained that this coming weekend he had to be out of town again. The meeting had been scheduled over a month ago. But the following Saturday he would be back and they could talk. But now Tommy had to wait. He had tried to get his uncle to talk about it on the phone but his uncle dsaid that it wasn’t the kind of thing you talked about on the phone. It was so frustrating.
Petrovich still hasn’t been seen and the rumors continue that he is working on a driblet to end all driblets. Every time the rumor passes the nature of the driblet gets worse. The weird thing about rumors is they seldom move toward better. But then for the most part the translated driblets have not been good news.
Herman continues going to the Lay School of Theology. He wants to be able to fill in when Pastor Joan takes her vacation time. The town's quondam super hero and demon fighter is now studying Church history. He is appalled by the opprobrious behavior of some of the clerics during the period of Jesuit casuistry. But he is learning that the people God uses are always Saint and Sinner at the same time.
Wrap UP
A good breathing day . Brought St. Mark's website up to date with the Newsletter for the month and pictures from Ah Wednesday. This took longer than I anticipated. Betty went to therapy. I visited all the blogs that visited me yesterday and left comments on new entries. They might be surprised to see the little kid is gone and I am now a Super Hero. Life doesn't stand still. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
************************************

15 Comments:

Blogger Jinksy said...

Who wants a walking wizard? What's up with the traditional broomstick, as per Quidditch?

4:16 AM  
Blogger bettygram said...

You are a good looking wizard even if you are green.
Good story.

4:17 AM  
Blogger Sandi McBride said...

Hey, that's no traditional broomstick, that's the Wielding Stick of Power...I know, I also carry a big stick in my secret identity...
So glad that Nancy got over the rash...those pesky rashes can cause so many questions and soil a girl's reputation to boot!
Sandi(AKA The Strange Sturdy Statue)

4:54 AM  
Blogger Suldog said...

See you in The Hall Of Justice later on. I think today's meeting is to decide if we're going to kick Aquaman out for failure to pay back dues. I mean, the fish dinners are nice, but...

- Sully (aka The Courageous Ancient Brute)

6:05 AM  
Blogger Pat - Arkansas said...

Ah ha! Did Betty make you clean the counters? :)

OK -- I admit I'm stumped on "apanthropinization."

7:53 AM  
Blogger Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

DrJ, Can you come clean my counter??

8:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL! [clapping] I do wish the dragons could pick you to win the TWT prize. I love this story!

And I am so glad you aren't one of those Super heroes who wear their underwear on the outside! I mean, it's hard to trust someone with your life when they're wearing their BVDs over their pants, you know?

10:33 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

Look at you, addig your own REALLY big word in there. I had to look it up and it weren't easy to find.

You are a super hero.

Wizards, dragons, leprechans, a fun story day. Loved it.

10:56 AM  
Blogger aims said...

*laughing - clapping - and bowing at the feet of a master*

11:17 AM  
Blogger juliana said...

you are too modest, dr. john... erm, the walking wizard.
you spin great stories using all the fancy words each day and i only do it once in a blue moon...

great job with the counter, btw ;)

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did have to look up quoindam, never have I heard of it, but casuistry is a favorite of mine. Reminds me so much of Bill Clinton *cough.*
I'm no super hero myself and I consider that a good thing.
~Mary

11:21 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

Hmmmm.... I knew there was some wizardry going on in your household! Now you've got me wondering WHICH senator that was...

What would happen if Nancy went outside the diner HOLDING the coin? Then maybe the leprechaun would come get it, and not cause her to itch... maybe?

I'm getting nervous about Tommy UK's uncle not having time to talk to him! Normally this wouldn't bother me at all -- but this IS Pigeon Falls we're talking about... and ANYthing could happen!

I share Herman's feelings! I sure am thankful for The Bible so I can SEE the evidence of God's mercy!

11:31 AM  
Blogger Family Man said...

So that's what a kitchen counter looks like. We tend not to see ours. I call it the junk magnet.

11:57 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Pete is going through tissues like there is no tomorrow! He is having a hard time sleeping with his mask and then having to constantly blow his nose. Hopefully tonight he will get some sleep.

8:08 PM  
Blogger Alice (in BC Canada) said...

Great story once again, Dr. J. I can see where having green skin would create problems if you were not a frog. Great us of Quilly's words.

Is the photo of you??

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home