Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Together we Fail


Today's Link
Down River Drivel

Saying for the Day
Teamwork is the ability to work as a group toward a common vision, even if that vision becomes extremely blurry. ~Author Unknown
Picture of the Day
Winter Goes On
A Picture Story from Jeff's Portrait of Words
This is a story that Betty and I wrote together. I wrote the first line. She wrote the last. The rules required that we not discuss where we wanted the story to go. So here is a story as if written by a committee.


Sandy and her new friend Ellen stood looking out the window of the resort and trying to find the source of the noise of the fracas that had interrupted their conversation.
"I want to see what is going on out there,"said Sandy hastily walking towards the door.
They couldn't believe their eyes when they saw the penguin and miniature elephant fighting over a very old coin. Ellen looked at Sandy shrugging her shoulders,and making the sign of crazy by circling her finger by her head.
"Not so crazy if you can see the stupid penguin as well and what's with the elephant?" Sandy said sounding offended.
"Your not crazy. The numismatics are crazy.I didn't even know that elephant liked coins."
"Do you think that others see a penguin and miniature elephant fighting over a coin or just us?"asked Sandy.
" I didn't even see the elephant until that Mully or Molly or Melli person put this gypsy curse on me because she didn't like the paint I suggested she use for her kitchen. Now I see it everywhere." exclaimed Ellen.
The coin slipped out of the hand or flipper of the penguin and went sailing towards Sandy , who reached out and caught it. " I'm keeping this until the two of you learn to get along with each other which according to my most perspicacious judgment may very well be a long time"
Sandy followed by Ellen went down the path out into the woods.They should never have come in that stupid old bus as it broke down right at the summer cottage leaving them stranded with penguin and elephant. Sandy heard a snap and a scream. There was the poor little elephant stuck in a bear trap. "oh no, You stupid elephant we have to get you out of this trap," said Sandy as she tried to free the elephant, and succeeding found the coin missing. " Okay! who has the stupid coin . You have to give it back you know."Sandy noticed a silly grin on her pesky penguin, as he scurried toward the resort leaving the ladies and the elephant standing in the dust.
Because the penguin was looking back to watch Sandy's reaction it didn't see the resort worker carrying the bucket of vegetables . The penguin hit the worker head on, and vegetables flew in all directions. You know what would go good right now ?" Sandy said to Ellen, " Penguin and Elephant stew."
"I think your right, and I can get this coin appraised," said Ellen as she proudly held up the coin. "All we need now are two more bear traps."

News from Pigeon Falls

The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal

When Tommy UK came home from school last night his parents had decided it was indeed time to tell him at least some of the truth. So they told him that he was not their biological son. They had adopted him when he was only one month old. But they considered him to be theirs. They loved him as much as his sister. They had held off telling him because they had made a mistake with the rock.
It seems his biological parents had given them the rock in question with the instruction to give it to him when they thought he was ready. They had done that several years ago but Tommy had used the rock in several ways that made them think they made a mistake . That included tampering with a basketball game. He even walked around talking to it. But then suddenly he put it away and seemed to forget about it . They didn’t know why.
It was at that time they involved Mrs. Trumble because they needed somebody they could trust and who wouldn’t think they were crazy. She promised to help them decide when it was time to tell him.
Then they told Tommy that the rock was his to treasure and use wisely.
Tommy UK much to his parents surprise did not resent them for not telling them. If anything he loved them more than he had before. Now he knew where the rock came from. He promised them and himself he would use it well.
Now, however, he really wanted to know who his birth parents were but his adoptive parents told him they didn’t know. Everything had been handled by his Uncle in Iron Mountain who is a lawyer.
There was no way that Tommy could visit his uncle before next Saturday, such a long time to wait.

Wrap UP
I spent a good part of today visiting my links and commenting. I visited every single link and left comments on ever entry I hadn't already commented on. That took a long time. Betty went to bible study and to therapy. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
**************************************************************8

15 Comments:

Blogger Nessa said...

Gotta love people who can hallucinate together.

Great way to combine two writing games.

3:50 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

LOL! Love Nessa's comment!

So, I'm a gypsy now, huh? COOL! I'm not sure I care for elephants caught in BEAR traps though...

WOW! So now we KNOW! Tommy UK is NOT the undertaker's kid! I bet he belongs to the MIB! That's gotta be it!

5:47 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have heard that people who have been together for years are very in tune with each other. Interesting story. Somehow I feel a little sorry for Tommy.

7:21 AM  
Blogger Gattina said...

I agree with Nessa !

7:42 AM  
Blogger Finding Pam said...

That was really a great story. You and Betty seem to be one, so seamless in your writing.

I can't wait to hear more about Tommy's parents.

8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melli is stealing my comments! I long ago decided that Tommy not UK belonged to the MiB.

Now, about that basketball game ... all this time I thought it was the poltergeist!

9:43 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Looks like Betty and you make a fantastic team. Yet, we already knew that now didn't we. ;)

10:30 AM  
Blogger juliana said...

great team work with the story.

hope winter leaves you soon.

11:37 AM  
Blogger Jeni said...

Hello! Just stopped by to thank you for visiting my place and your comments. I see from looking over your blog that you are also an ECLA member too! The church I belong to is Holy Trinity Lutheran in Lanse, PA and we just got a new minister last summer -Rev. Carrie Anderson -who is originally from Wisconsin! (Don't know the area in the state where her home is though.)
Hope you stop by again soon.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Dragonstar said...

I think you and Betty deserve eachother - you are both equally mad! I love your story.

So Tommy UK is not Tommy UK after all. Fascinating!

2:13 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

good story between you and Betty. Do you still have all that snow on the ground??????? I have to say...snow looks beautiful in pictures doesnt it???

2:30 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Dr. John,
I was here last week and wrote a comment after what I thought was a fine sermon by you. There was a comment from a man named Russel (if I recall correctly) and it occurred to me that this is quites a nice cyper congregation you have here. =)

Anyway something happened when I hit "post" and my computer froze. Sorry it took all week to get back. My laptop is in the shop.

2:42 PM  
Blogger Carver said...

You come up with the best quotes. I loved this one. Also enjoy the stories and I have to chime in with the others and agree with Nessa's comment.

3:51 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

You and Betty share so many things. Even writing together.

6:44 PM  
Blogger Roan said...

Penguin and Elephant stew? I think I'll pass. Which of you came up with that line? Very enjoyable story!

7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home