Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Perceptions

Today's Link
Me Lil Iris Thots

Saying for the Day
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. ~Lewis Carroll

Picture of the Day
Sometimes I think of the weirdest things. I don’t know why I just do.
Last week I did a little blog on Mighty Mouse.
Well it wasn’t really about Mighty Mouse it was about a mouse chewing up an electrical wire and causing a fire that killed one hundred cats.
In a cartoon that would be funny but in real life it was tragic.
That got me to thinking of how we portray things in cartoons.
Mice are almost always the good guys. Think of Disney’s Cinderella.
Cats are almost always bad guys. Think again of Disney’s Cinderella.
Mice in cartoons are cute, loveable, kind, heroic, just filled with virtue.
Cats are mean, selfish, sneaky, and usually up to no good.
Mice are always smarter than cats.
Why have we done that?
It’s the exact opposite to real life.
In real life the last thing I want in my house is a mouse.
I do not see mice as cute. They destroy food and carry disease.
I will set out traps and poison to be rid of them.
Cats on the other hand have a certain charm.
They are individuals .
They can love you or ignore you.
They can save you from the mouse.
How did our imaginary world get so far away from our real one ?
I just don’t know.

News from Pigeon Falls
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal.
Pastor Joan is back to work remembering nothing about Oops at all. She is supposed to get her annual physical today and is scheduled for the usual barrage of tests over at the lab before going to the clinic.
Herman has signed up for the Synod’s Lay School of Theology and will be going to class once a week. He wants to find ways he can serve in the Church.
Mrs. Trumble is healing from the bruises and such she got from her encounter with the demon. Her demon slayer with its melted barrel is laying on her desk.
Petrovich is back to translating driblets. He is looking for one that might have to do with Pigeon Falls.
The dragons are back flying over once a day. Mother dragon doesn’t seem to have sustained any permanent damage from her battle.
Nancy’s poltergeist is juggling valentine hearts , though nobody knows where it got them. It doesn’t seem to have any problems from losing to the demon.
So Pigeon Falls is pretty much back to normal.
Except for Tommy UK who is still confused and hasn’t talked to anybody. He simply doesn’t remember getting that rock or even that he had it and yet he used it to help power Herman. If he had known about it he would have used it to save the whale but then he didn’t have to. Since he and Tammy are in one of their non talking times he can’t talk to her about it. He hates to bother Mrs. Trumble while she is recovering and so he has nowhere to turn.

Wrap UP
It got up to fifty degrees today. Snow in the back yard is starting to melt. Spring is coming. In the morning I worked at getting blogs ready to print out from November. That takes up some time. In the afternoon we worked on the layout. We put the last little things on the lake module. Then we tested our new Lionel aquarium car. I loved it. Then we started plastering. That looks like a two or three day job. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
*******************************************************

12 Comments:

Blogger Jinksy said...

I almost think I'm beginning to fear for your sanity... Is it because of the pigeon feathers?

4:04 AM  
Blogger Finding Pam said...

You are so right about mice and cats. That is interesting why the mouse is a hero in most cartoons.

I am a little worried. All is quite in Pigeon Falls? I am glad that Herman is going to theology school. He has a gift in understanding people.

Hope you and Mrs. Betty have a wonderful day.

5:25 AM  
Blogger Lazy Daisy said...

I enjoyed your cat versus Mouse theory (said while sharing my desk with our Cat Lucy looking out the window at the bird feeder). We have two cats (litter mates) because we live in an old farm house and deal with the little critters especially in the winter months. I'd much rather share my home with my cats than with any mouse (I've never seen a cute, cuddly mouse...wearing gloves or not!)

Apparently I've missed most of the drama and trauma of Pigeon Falls. I'm glad there is a momentary peace.

Gotcha all prayed up for the day!

5:33 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

I think that perhaps we do that to turn things that are somewhat scary into "not quite so scary"... that if we can love the little mice in Cinderelly, then maybe we won't scream quite so loud when we see a real one! Maybe. Sort of like having imaginary dragons in your basement. You PROBABLY would not want a real live dragon in your basement. Maybe.

Oops didn't "fix" the Mayor's demon slayer when she fixed the roads and the truck and all??? Hm. How odd...

Perhaps Tommy should talk to Herman... HE can certainly relate to "weirdness" in life...

I thought ALL the driblets were about Pigeon Falls! LOL!

6:50 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

It's called a "Mouse Trap" only it captures the imaginations of people instead of pesky disease carrying vermin.

7:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe the Man in Black will show up and have a little talk with Tommy. I keep wondering if the MiB isn't Tommy, coming back from the future. After all, it is Pigeon Falls and much stranger things have happened.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

As long as we know the difference between imaginary and the real in the real world.

10:15 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I guess the original concept had the mouse as "the average person" while the cat was everything or every one out to get him. Kind of a little guy beats the big bad guy.

11:21 AM  
Blogger juliana said...

the quote fits well to the rest of the contents.

cat and mouse... david and goliath?
humans have a propensity to cheer for the underdog and seeing one win usually makes us happy.

11:48 AM  
Blogger Cherie said...

Sounds like another great day in Wisconsin and Pigeon Falls. :) As for cats & mice in cartoons, I have to go with the majority here and say that it's an underdog thing. Besides, have you ever seen a cat playing with a mouse before they kill it? Now, cat vs. rat? That's more of an even match-up. ;)

8:21 PM  
Blogger Voegtli said...

The imaginary world gets always far from the real world. Sometimes it is good, sometimes it is bad.

9:35 PM  
Blogger Gattina said...

I am surprised myself, I never thought about it and I am always laughing when I see such a cartoon where cats are so stupid and I am such a cat lover, lol! Little mice are cute too, and I am always sorry for them when one of my cats brings her victims home just to show them. It doesn't happen very often, I think all mice moved to another place.
I hope you are right and the weather gets better. It's so wet here that I am afraid flippers will replace my feet.

10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home