Friday, February 06, 2009

A Quilly Story

Today's Link

Saying for the Day
Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day. ~Author Unknown

Picture of the Day

Quilly's Three Obsolete Words
Quilly has given us three words and said go write a story. The words are * cynicocratical, * isangelous, * volgivagant. These are all real English words but they are obsolete. They would feel out of place with words of this century. So I have written a story replete with words from their time. If you lived in 17th or 18th century England they would be old friends. Enjoy
.If you don't have a degree in 17th or 18th century English click on the word for a working definition and the time when the word was in common usage.

Maximum Angel, the former Maxine Malarky had used her gaudiloquent fallaciloquence to gather a volgivagant group of followers. On them she had used her most convincing isangelous activities like always appearing in white robes to convince them to follow her. And followed her they had bringing great joy to her by their daily igeniculation to her. Not a single one complained when she gave them the now famous hecatologue and had them recite them every day.
But the Press had called her such terrible things. Egged on by family members of those who had joined her they said in bold print that she was an orgiophant. She pointed out that these people were all phlyarologists but her response was ignored. So she took the entire group and moved to Brazil.
There life was wonderful until the summer of 92 when an unbelievable gelicide killed all the crops. The available food was used up and the group became famelicose . They began to murmur against her. As they turned against her day by day she became cynicocratical.
Thus in 94 she choose a most mochlic remedy and gave them the poisoned Kool-Aid . Thus ended once and for all her dream for a perfect world with the ultimate apanthropinization.

News from Pigeon Falls
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal.
Having made his victory speech the demon demonstrated his power, again by melting Wayne Korhonen’s old truck. Wayne loved that truck. It was thirty years old and he had polished it every day for thirty years. He wanted to run out of Wink’s Woods and pound that demon to a pulp but he knew better.
Then the demon started up the street toward last Lutheran. He knew that he had won. The battle was over.
But suddenly out of the parsonage comes Herman. He takes his place in the middle of the street. He has never looked taller or younger.
“ Stop”, he shouts “ Or I will have to destroy you and I don’t wish to destroy any living creature not even one such as you.”
The demon looks at him and laughs. “ Go away old man. I have beaten your dragons, your ghosts, and your so called demon slayer. There is nothing you can do to stop me.”
Herman stands his ground.
The demon raises a hand and a red flame shoots toward Herman.
Herman raises his hand and a blue flame shoots out pushing the red flame back, inch by inch. Then suddenly pushing through and hitting the demon and knocking him back.
The demon looks startled and then smiles. “ So she has decided to fight through you, the coward. It won’t make any difference I have more power than her so you can’t win”.
The demon raises both hands and two red flames, bigger than before shoot toward Herman. Herman raises his hand and the blue flame meets them halfway and the battle is on. Herman can feel his power being drained. The power coming from Oops and the power coming from his faith were slowly being drawn away. The flames were moving toward him. The demon could be right, maybe he doesn’t have enough power. The flames have almost reached him and it is getting harder and harder to hold them back. Soon it will be over.
But then it happens he begins to feel a new power coming from the left. He raises his other hand and a purple flame bursts forth. Together his purple and blue flame begin to gain ground. The demon flames are pushed back. Then his flames reach the demon. There is an explosion and the demon is gone. The battle is over.
Pigeon Falls is saved.
Oops smiles.
Tommy UK puts his rock back in his pocket and goes home.
Herman goes back to the parsonage.

Wrap UP
Every day is getting better and better. My oxygen this morning dsailed up into the middle normal range for the first time in over a year. Wow! The sun was shining. It got above freezing. My isangelous wife drove me to the barber and I got my annual hair cut. You could have stuffed a pillow with what they cut off. Then we went to Wall Mart and I picked up a copy of Turbo Tax as well as some groceries. It was wonderful being out of the house and it wasn't even Saturday or Sunday. Came back to discover that Quilly left a comment showing that she can be one of the phlyarologists but we love her any way. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
****************************************

17 Comments:

Blogger Jinksy said...

Oh, your obsolete words are an utter joy! Thank you for the effort it must have taken to put them all in one place - and with explanations too! What a clever IT bod you must be...

5:07 AM  
Blogger Caution/Lisa said...

I give up. Going to get a dictionary right now!

6:18 AM  
Blogger Dragonstar said...

Wonderful, wonderful words! I'm so glad you gave us the definitions. I wonder if I can get away with using any of these.

Well done Oops and Tommy UK. So end all evil demons!

6:25 AM  
Blogger Finding Pam said...

Very well written Dr. John! I understood most of it, except presiding over orgies? I could barely pronounce them. You are on smart man. I will read them again later tonight.

Yeah Herman!He fought the red flames with the blue flames, but alas the purple flames were triumpet against the evil dragon. It would seem that Oops has been giving Herman her power over the last few days for this battle. I think Herman's faith in God saved the day. Great story.

You and the Mrs. have a wonderful weekend. I off for a road trip to my old town to see friends and run errands.

6:49 AM  
Blogger Pat - Arkansas said...

Loved the words!!! I quickly admit that I had never before seen any of these in print; I'm old, but not that old.

Herman to the rescue! I should have suspected there was a reason for Oops to be empowering him. Clever, Dr. John.

Now what?

8:26 AM  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

Hooray for Oops! Hooray for Herman! And Hooray for Dr. John!!!

8:35 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

Oh my! Oh DEAR! I bet you have used all of Quilly's words for the next 3 weeks! I'm going to have to be DESPERATE for something to write before I attempt to use these words. I am a simple girl. Simple minded!

YAY Herman! YAY Oops! YAY GOD!!!

And by the way - I LOVE that giggly smiley photograph up there today!

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew it! I said so in my comments over at my place just yesterday -- you really are as old as thee words! You just proved it by using them so easily, and using the whole dang rest of my word list for the month! Now I'll have to search for more!


Yay, Herman! Yay, Oops! Yay, Tommy!

Whew! (I really was worried this time!)

11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your link is up!

11:11 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

I TOLD YOU SO!!!

Tommy had "The Rock" - YAY GOD!!!

11:44 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Dr John, I never realized what a Linguist you are. You are the best at Morphology and the way you use words.

Oops I hope I didn't use one of Quilly's words for next week.

Blessings to you and Betty.

12:17 PM  
Blogger juliana said...

whew! i'm still sweating from all the excitement.
great story, and huzzah for herman and oops and tommy!

12:24 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

I think you "won" the competition hands down. I've never heard of most of those words and I bet you did use poor Quilly's list for the next several weeks.

4:24 PM  
Blogger Carletta said...

Bravo Dr. John!
I'm right up there with Jinksy - your time and effort are to be admired and more!
From a retired teacher, let me say this - you surely must have been a teacher's dream!
If I might add - I hope my mind is as sharp and focused when I am as young as you. :)

8:20 PM  
Blogger Cherie said...

I'm so pleased that you had such a great day! :)

8:24 PM  
Blogger Alice (in BC Canada) said...

wow... WOW!!! That is grandiose!! What a job to do all that. Very well done, Dr. J.

1:20 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

Your story was lots of fun. I learned lots of new old words.

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home